Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Aug 2023, 11:54 (Ref:4172287)   #2676
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcas87 View Post
Compared to what?
Like I said some people have more money some have less. People say BTCC is too expensive but so is TCR compared to most club racing. It's all relative.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 12:46 (Ref:4172296)   #2677
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcas87 View Post
Compared to what?
C1 racing
Old 12 Aug 2023, 13:22 (Ref:4172299)   #2678
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From about 5 years ago, but Jonathan Ashman had this to say about TCR UK:

"We’re not a competitor to the BTCC, we’re a feeder. There’s no point us taking on something like the BTCC, which is incredibly successful and does a tremendous job”.

At the same time, the following was written:
Currently, a full season in the BTCC can cost anywhere between £400,000 to £800,000 depending on what your targets are for the championship and what team you drive for. A full 7 round TCR UK season costs as little as £120,000 to £160,000, again depending on what team you drive for, the age of the car you buy and how many parts you get through. When you compare this to popular one-make series like the Renault Clio Cup and Ginetta GT4 Supercup which cost a similar amount for similar levels of performance and that offer only a little extra track time, it’s clear that TCR is an extremely attractive option for amateur drivers.
Old 12 Aug 2023, 21:31 (Ref:4172390)   #2679
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why has the current meeting thread been closed?
Old 12 Aug 2023, 21:49 (Ref:4172394)   #2680
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Why has the current meeting thread been closed?
Not sure - thanks for the spot. Possibly did this when meant to be making it a stickie.

It’s open now - thanks.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 09:40 (Ref:4172693)   #2681
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After 21 rounds - how do the relative performances of each chassis compare?

The Vauxhall has now moved ahead of Honda.
Toyota and Hyundai remain closely matched.

The BMW is still the strongest performing chassis in this comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Average Finish.png  
Old 14 Aug 2023, 10:19 (Ref:4172698)   #2682
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
crm, out of interest, how would that graph look if it was 1st and 2nd, and also if it was averaged out over all cars in the teams?
Old 14 Aug 2023, 10:27 (Ref:4172702)   #2683
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
crm, out of interest, how would that graph look if it was 1st and 2nd, and also if it was averaged out over all cars in the teams?
It will take me a little time to generate, but I'll present it soon....
Old 14 Aug 2023, 11:49 (Ref:4172717)   #2684
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It will take me a little time to generate, but I'll present it soon....

Many thanks because I think it may well be very interesting.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:04 (Ref:4172736)   #2685
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If Sutton was taken out of the equation I reckon the Focus would still be fairly average to mediocre?
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:09 (Ref:4172742)   #2686
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
If Sutton was taken out of the equation I reckon the Focus would still be fairly average to mediocre?
Possibly.

To clarify, the chart presented so far has been the combined average finishing position of the 2nd and 3rd car of each type in a race. For the Ford, this has been Sutton the majority of the time, but not always.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:34 (Ref:4172747)   #2687
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
So in terms of alternative comparisons of how well each car is performing - if you only look at the first two cars across the line for each make.
The Ford is marginally better than the BMW.
The Hyundai is clear of the Toyota and Honda.
The Cupra is marginally better than the Vauxhall:
Attached Thumbnails
Average Finish.png  
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:36 (Ref:4172749)   #2688
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
If you look at the results for all cars of each make,

The BMW sits clearly ahead of the Ford.
Toyota is the next best.
Vauxhall, Honda and Hyundai equal.
The Cupra is adrift.
Attached Thumbnails
Average Finish.png  
Old 14 Aug 2023, 15:26 (Ref:4172759)   #2689
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Thanks for doing those two graphs; they do show something interesting about this year. They appear to demonstrate that the perception that some people have that the Fords are in a league of their own is not really correct because BMW are pegging them and just a fraction ahead.

In fact, as I wrote in the other thread, if WSR could only get them to play nicely between each other, they could be well ahead. Motorbase could show them a thing or two in that respect.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 15:49 (Ref:4172764)   #2690
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Thanks for doing those two graphs; they do show something interesting about this year. They appear to demonstrate that the perception that some people have that the Fords are in a league of their own is not really correct because BMW are pegging them and just a fraction ahead.
That's the reason I started the comparison. It seemed that some people were perceiving the Ford as being dominant, when that is not the case. The graphs seem to back this up, but obviously the driver is not factored into the assessment.

FWIW, I think the BMW is still the strongest car in the field, but Sutton and Ingram are getting more out of their respective cars compared to Hill and Turkington.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 15:54 (Ref:4172766)   #2691
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
I agree with you, which is why I am enjoying this year.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 09:23 (Ref:4172971)   #2692
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That's the reason I started the comparison. It seemed that some people were perceiving the Ford as being dominant, when that is not the case. The graphs seem to back this up, but obviously the driver is not factored into the assessment.

FWIW, I think the BMW is still the strongest car in the field, but Sutton and Ingram are getting more out of their respective cars compared to Hill and Turkington.
Equally impressive is how much Cookie is getting out of his Honda. He deserves as much praise as Tingram and Sutton
Old 4 Sep 2023, 12:45 (Ref:4175171)   #2693
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
After Donington GP, how does each chassis look in comparison.

Firstly, taking the average of all cars:
Attached Thumbnails
Average Finish All Cars.png  
Old 4 Sep 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4175172)   #2694
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Secondly, if you just take the first two cars of each type over the line:
Attached Thumbnails
Average Finish Cars 1-2.png  
Old 4 Sep 2023, 12:49 (Ref:4175174)   #2695
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
And finally, the comparison that (IMO) shows the clearest 'pecking order' of the cars - 2nd and 3rd best results:
Attached Thumbnails
Average Finish Cars 2-3.png  
Old 5 Sep 2023, 00:19 (Ref:4175223)   #2696
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
WestHam92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you look at the results for all cars of each make,

The BMW sits clearly ahead of the Ford.
Toyota is the next best.
Vauxhall, Honda and Hyundai equal.
The Cupra is adrift.
Given how quick the BMWs are, Sutton would run away with it if he was in one. I apologise if this has been mentioned on here before, but was there ever a chance of him driving a BMW before he joined Motorbase?
Old 5 Sep 2023, 05:31 (Ref:4175236)   #2697
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHam92 View Post
Given how quick the BMWs are, Sutton would run away with it if he was in one. I apologise if this has been mentioned on here before, but was there ever a chance of him driving a BMW before he joined Motorbase?
There was a bit of a rumour, but nothing seemed to be in it:

Warren Scott: “I’ve not spoken to West Surrey – it would be news to me. That certainly hasn’t been put on the agenda, and at the minute the plans are much the same [to continue with the Infiniti]. I have to do my best for Ash and my best for BMR, and if there were offers coming in I would certainly look at them.”
Old 5 Sep 2023, 06:55 (Ref:4175238)   #2698
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
For next year, I predict that we are looking at:

Title Contenders:
Jake Hill (champion)
Ash Sutton
Tom Ingram

Outsiders:
Colin Turkington
Rory Butcher
Josh Cook
So with a couple of meetings left, this prediction seems fairly reasonable. One thing I have observed recently though is the mental aspect of competing for the title.

In nearly every interview Hill gives, he seems to make reference to Sutton in some way, and quite often negatively. The most recent example being 'It's infuriating to be honest, because you can't race the bloke fairly'

On the contrary to this, Sutton will regularly focus on his own (or car's) performance. If he makes reference to another driver, it usually comes with some form of praise attached.

Is this the biggest stumbling block Hill currently has - he obviously has the car underneath him to win a title, and so perhaps the focus should now be on maximising his own performance and trying to eliminate those thoughts relating to other drivers (particularly Sutton)?
Old 5 Sep 2023, 09:13 (Ref:4175251)   #2699
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder how much of that is because of where they currently are in regards to perceived car performance? Reverse their roles and would they be the same? Sutton has certainly been not so kind to other drivers in interviews in the past when things weren't going so well and he thought he had been hard done by.
Old 5 Sep 2023, 09:28 (Ref:4175253)   #2700
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
I wonder how much of that is because of where they currently are in regards to perceived car performance? Reverse their roles and would they be the same? Sutton has certainly been not so kind to other drivers in interviews in the past when things weren't going so well and he thought he had been hard done by.
Possibly - you might be right.

Although - I think it has been that way from Hill since before the first points were scored:

Hill [22 Apr]: 'Sutton's quite a bit quicker than us all at the moment so, that's interesting to see exactly what's happened there' - which I take at the time might not have been seen as overly concerned with other drivers, but is already hinting at focus being elsewhere.

Hill [23 Apr]: '[Sutton's] just chopped me, you know, I'm there, I've a nose there, I'm well there.'