Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Apr 2018, 22:36 (Ref:3813100)   #1
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Holden Gives Up (For Now) On The V6Fix!!!

Holden suspends V6 turbo development

Not surprised,

Not helped by the latest Sales figures either i guess
Old 6 Apr 2018, 00:07 (Ref:3813107)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Well that's a big call to make isn't it?

Seems to me that it may well point to the direction the future tech regs are taking. If the category is considering sticking with V8 engines only, or has made that decision already, it would make no sense to spend another minute or dollar on V6TT development. The Holden announcement may well have been triggered by decisions made at Supercars but not communicated publicly (yet).

Interesting times ahead!
Old 6 Apr 2018, 00:24 (Ref:3813111)   #3
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah quite possible, though that would mean T8 know more than the other teams..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 6 Apr 2018, 00:25 (Ref:3813113)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
Yeah quite possible, though that would mean T8 know more than the other teams..

More likely that all the teams know it IF the decision has been taken - that sort of info is shared amongst the teams as a group.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 00:28 (Ref:3813114)   #5
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
More likely that all the teams know it IF the decision has been taken - that sort of info is shared amongst the teams as a group.
In that case no one knows then.

Old 6 Apr 2018, 00:41 (Ref:3813116)   #6
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope it's been suspended due to the series looking in another direction rather than concerns over it being competitive vs teams like DJR that stick with a tried and true engine package
Old 6 Apr 2018, 01:15 (Ref:3813118)   #7
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is not the first time there has been a pushback with the V6TT.

While I'm very happy to see everything remain V8, what is annoying me is the news of when he will see a V6TT (even as a wildcard entry) and then money spent to attend the debut, only for 888 to change their minds again.
How about sort out what you are doing, make an announcement, then stick to it.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 01:42 (Ref:3813121)   #8
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
This is not the first time there has been a pushback with the V6TT.

While I'm very happy to see everything remain V8, what is annoying me is the news of when he will see a V6TT (even as a wildcard entry) and then money spent to attend the debut, only for 888 to change their minds again.
Yeah it seems odd for the usually uber professional/organised T8. Perhaps outside influences affecting descions?
Old 6 Apr 2018, 01:57 (Ref:3813122)   #9
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In other words, "no money for [not V8] Supercars racing." It doesn't make any difference to Holden's sales numbers, so why should they bother?

Hmm... Supercars HQ will not be pleased. If Nissan and Holden both withdraw, the Supercars series will be in a spot of bother indeed IMO.

Everyone will just limp on racing old Chevy V8s and old Falcons until.........?
Old 6 Apr 2018, 02:01 (Ref:3813124)   #10
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Yeah it seems odd for the usually uber professional/organised T8. Perhaps outside influences affecting descions?
I dunno if troll or dumb, but Holden was homologating this engine, 888 was simply going to be the agent that provided it to teams.

Holden has decided to stop the program, not 888.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 02:09 (Ref:3813125)   #11
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
In other words, "no money for [not V8] Supercars racing." It doesn't make any difference to Holden's sales numbers, so why should they bother?

Hmm... Supercars HQ will not be pleased. If Nissan and Holden both withdraw, the Supercars series will be in a spot of bother indeed IMO.

Everyone will just limp on racing old Chevy V8s and old Falcons until.........?
Knuckle dragging dinosaurs are an extinct or extremely endangered species.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 02:21 (Ref:3813128)   #12
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't be surprised if this was connected to how badly Holden are doing sales wise at the moment. Without a volume seller such as the Commodore the company must be bleeding cash. I cant see sales improving in the short-mid term either. With sales at such a low how can any company be putting money into motorsport?
Old 6 Apr 2018, 02:40 (Ref:3813132)   #13
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if this was connected to how badly Holden are doing sales wise at the moment. Without a volume seller such as the Commodore the company must be bleeding cash. I cant see sales improving in the short-mid term either. With sales at such a low how can any company be putting money into motorsport?
It is certainly a sad situation.

I spent some time last week driving the four cylinder turbo version. There is nothing inherently wrong with it - yes the front wheel drive is noticeable, but only when the boy racer takes over.

The only criticism I could make is that the view out of the rear window is quite restricted.

However the dealer from which the car came from has sold only 1 to date...........
Old 6 Apr 2018, 03:00 (Ref:3813135)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

Exactly. Nothing to do with T888, they have been told by Holden is the way I read it.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 03:16 (Ref:3813137)   #15
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I dunno if troll or dumb, but Holden was homologating this engine, 888 was simply going to be the agent that provided it to teams.

I don't troll and not too happy being labeled dumb either

I was referring to not just this change but the previous Clipsal debut plan also.

Maybe Holden are pulling the strings but I can't see 888/Roland Dane sitting back being told what to do, working hard to achieve it only to then be told to not worry anymore without having some input about direction via meetings along the way.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 04:09 (Ref:3813142)   #16
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
gtcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In broader terms with development of the TT6 on hold and Holdens slide down the sales ladder , would Holden be looking to also end its involvement in the series? IIRC last time it only just made it across the line since the change of management which was apparently against involvement in the series.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 04:32 (Ref:3813144)   #17
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
http://www.supercars.com/videos/cham...s/?cat=default

So according to Skaife and Neil, the V6TT program will be back on track when the team is ready to not challenge for wins and be competitive on track with the ZB. Besides its already outside the old guidelines being a 5door so thats enough.

????
Huh?

(Note - post may be troll-like)
Old 6 Apr 2018, 04:33 (Ref:3813145)   #18
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spewing a little bit as I was hoping to see one this year at Bathurst but alas probably not.

However as someone suggested, (yep im a dinosaur) and would love to see a V8 Camaro race, however the other part of thinks why stop selling V8s in the car yard but not carry on with the development of the Turbo-ed 6 for racing. I guess the 2 dont fit with each other.

Strange times ahead.
Im all for V8s but have seen what Turbo cars now do in drag racing, its insane and evolution is paramount I guess.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 04:43 (Ref:3813148)   #19
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if Holden is thinking about changing their racecar model to the Camaro, seeing as it has a v8 and is rear wheel drive
Old 6 Apr 2018, 05:49 (Ref:3813151)   #20
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like someone at GM has done the numbers during development. Cost, power, economy and reliability verses the current V8 obviously didn't stack up well.

888 probably aren't too happy about this. Given it was supposed to be another source of income for the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post

According to a dealer employee. Just under 1000 Commodores were sold last month. 50% being runout VF's.
Majority of the ZB's sold were fleet with preexisting Holden agreements.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 6 Apr 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3813184)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The ZB is selling, they've probably shifted more since release, than Nissan has sold Altimas.

On the V6TT... total shame it's being shelved. I'm not partial to any particular engine design. If it does what it's supposed to, and happens to sound decent, it'll get a tick of approval from me.

I suspect that with teams and sponsors publicly stating their complete lack of interest in it, the numbers may not add up anymore. If the development costs were to be amortised over 14 cars, multiplied by however many engines needed (plus maintenance and repairs), then perhaps it longer stacks up if you're only catering for a much smaller group of cars?
Old 6 Apr 2018, 10:37 (Ref:3813203)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
they sold 4500 altimas, they ahvent sold that many ZB's
Old 6 Apr 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3813207)   #23
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This surely brings into question the future of Holden in the series beyond the end of their current deals?

Wasn't the prospect of the V6TT one of the main factors that helped them commit post-2016? If they've dropped the engine, what are they dropping next?
Old 6 Apr 2018, 11:51 (Ref:3813217)   #24
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
This surely brings into question the future of Holden in the series beyond the end of their current deals?
Yes, why would you bother.

Supercars participation seems to be bear little relation to vehicles sold. Holden and Nissan would surely look closely at Ford spending their money on conventional advertising, and question whether they too would get the most return on investment from that type of advertising rather than motorsport...
Old 6 Apr 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3813238)   #25
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a V8 SS,
Im glad its not a turbo