Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Feb 2024, 14:34 (Ref:4196544)   #1
DifferentTurn
Rookie

DifferentTurn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[OC] Formula 1 Season 1999 with Modern Graphics and 25-points system

Hi everyone!

I would like to share with you the project that I was working for the last 4 months.

This year, it will be precisely 25 years ago since Mika Hakkinen has won his second World Championship driving for McLaren Mercedes. Back in a day, only 6 places were awarded with points (10-6-4-3-2-1) at the end of the race. Nowadays, there are 10 positions (25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1, plus possible extra point for the fastest lap of the race) who are getting awarded. Knowing that, let’s travel to an alternate timeline, where current points system and modern TV-graphics were in-use as well back in 1999 season.

Buckle up and let’s begin our race!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCaaSRsy2PA
Old 17 Feb 2024, 00:03 (Ref:4196993)   #2
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I like it very much, thank you.

What made you choose the 1999 season?
Old 17 Feb 2024, 09:33 (Ref:4197027)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
99 was a very interesting season. Not the most exciting in terms of on track action, but certainly had a good variety at the front of the field and performances tending to fluctuate. The European GP that year was the best of the bunch.
Old 17 Feb 2024, 16:06 (Ref:4197064)   #4
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Video unavailable. Have you deleted it?
Old 17 Feb 2024, 17:23 (Ref:4197072)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
worked for me.

fun video and really fun idea!
Old 18 Feb 2024, 00:05 (Ref:4197108)   #6
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Worked for me.
Compared with the events of the last decade there was much more variety in competition and competitiveness.

So whatever we get in 2026 we have a standard to compare it with using the current points system.

My other point would be is that it shows how much difference the point system can make. So in any given year the points system is the point system used.
Whenever there is closeness in the competition the ranking order is simply the order the season played out in. it doesn't necessarily make one driver 'better' than the driver he defeated or is placed one or two places ahead of him.

Only in seasons where one driver demonstrated absolute dominance could one particular driver be a standout like Max in 2023, or Clark in 1965.
Seasons like 2021, 1997 and 1999, or 2016, were very much competitions where two or more great drivers slugged it out across a season.
We simply had the pleasure and benefit of a watching a great contest across the year.
Old 23 Feb 2024, 08:45 (Ref:4197880)   #7
DifferentTurn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I like it very much, thank you.

What made you choose the 1999 season?
Glad that you enjoyed! Means a lot

There are two key reasons:
- It was the season with the drastically different outcome from the actual one
- I'm a Mika Hakkinen fan, but I became one in 2000, so it was interesting to relive in details what happened during his World Championship season
Old 23 Feb 2024, 08:46 (Ref:4197881)   #8
DifferentTurn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
99 was a very interesting season. Not the most exciting in terms of on track action, but certainly had a good variety at the front of the field and performances tending to fluctuate. The European GP that year was the best of the bunch.
Exactly! European GP was pure chaos, I would also nominee French GP as the most exciting throughout the season.
Old 23 Feb 2024, 08:47 (Ref:4197882)   #9
DifferentTurn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
worked for me.

Thank you very much! Appreciate your support
Old 23 Feb 2024, 08:57 (Ref:4197884)   #10
DifferentTurn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Worked for me.
Compared with the events of the last decade there was much more variety in competition and competitiveness.

So whatever we get in 2026 we have a standard to compare it with using the current points system.

My other point would be is that it shows how much difference the point system can make. So in any given year the points system is the point system used.
Whenever there is closeness in the competition the ranking order is simply the order the season played out in. it doesn't necessarily make one driver 'better' than the driver he defeated or is placed one or two places ahead of him.

Only in seasons where one driver demonstrated absolute dominance could one particular driver be a standout like Max in 2023, or Clark in 1965.
Seasons like 2021, 1997 and 1999, or 2016, were very much competitions where two or more great drivers slugged it out across a season.
We simply had the pleasure and benefit of a watching a great contest across the year.
Thank you for watching!

I'd say 10-points system was more demanding and every point was like a gold, but at the same time, current one is more fair in my opinion. This way we don't have a lot of teams with a single digit number. For instance, in 1999, 5 teams out of 11 scored less than 10 points (Prost, Sauber, Arrows, Minardi, BAR). It's less rewarding and less intriguing. In terms of, if a driver is 10th with 5 laps to go, then he barely can climb into top-6, and with the current approach he is not already in points, but he actively fight for more.
Old 23 Feb 2024, 09:43 (Ref:4197889)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentTurn View Post
Exactly! European GP was pure chaos, I would also nominee French GP as the most exciting throughout the season.

I’d say Australia, Canada and Malaysia were candidates for best dry races of the season
Old 23 Feb 2024, 11:50 (Ref:4197902)   #12
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
1999 was before my time but I watched the French Grand Prix recently and thought it was genuinely one of the most exciting Grands Prix I had ever seen. Better than the European Grand Prix, in my opinion.
Old 23 Feb 2024, 14:09 (Ref:4197924)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Brilliant, the only thing missing is yelling like David Croft!
Old 23 Feb 2024, 16:49 (Ref:4197950)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
1999 was before my time but I watched the French Grand Prix recently and thought it was genuinely one of the most exciting Grands Prix I had ever seen. Better than the European Grand Prix, in my opinion.
wait until you get to the 2004 French GP!
Old 24 Feb 2024, 08:03 (Ref:4198045)   #15
DifferentTurn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Brilliant, the only thing missing is yelling like David Croft!
Thank you for watching! Haha, will take notes
Old 24 Feb 2024, 12:09 (Ref:4198071)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
wait until you get to the 2004 French GP!

The only exciting part was the last lap battle between Trulli and Barrichello
Old 24 Feb 2024, 16:10 (Ref:4198096)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
The only exciting part was the last lap battle between Trulli and Barrichello
agree to disagree on that!

its a bit weird to now think that 20-25 years ago is starting to fit into that 'back in the day' category but yeah, suffice it to say im too much on the nostalgic side for the days when race strategy wasnt a far away data centre but a couple of people sitting on pitwall working out the sums with their stopwatches as it went along!

not sure if that pic is from that race or not and dont want to get too far of topic here, but that 95/96 to 04/05 was a pretty fun era for me!
Old 24 Feb 2024, 16:32 (Ref:4198098)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
agree to disagree on that!

its a bit weird to now think that 20-25 years ago is starting to fit into that 'back in the day' category but yeah, suffice it to say im too much on the nostalgic side for the days when race strategy wasnt a far away data centre but a couple of people sitting on pitwall working out the sums with their stopwatches as it went along!

not sure if that pic is from that race or not and dont want to get too far of topic here, but that 95/96 to 04/05 was a pretty fun era for me!

Sorry, but there was nothing fun for me about races decided by fuel strategy. No amount of nostalgia will change the fact that refuelling ruined the racing, as too much position changing happened in the pitlane and that is not what racing is about. For me, the 04 French GP is not a patch on the wet and wild 99 French GP
Old 24 Feb 2024, 17:44 (Ref:4198105)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Sorry, but there was nothing fun for me about races decided by fuel strategy. No amount of nostalgia will change the fact that refuelling ruined the racing, as too much position changing happened in the pitlane and that is not what racing is about. For me, the 04 French GP is not a patch on the wet and wild 99 French GP
actually the time that they needed to make it work, to cover the extra stop, was found on track by TGF. so imo it had on track action as well.

regardless tho, they also had refuelling in 99 and position changes due to pitlane/pit strategy always plays a huge factor in races with variable weather so im not sure what your point is other than you like one race over another race despite of the reasons you highlighted for not liking that other race.

like seriously guy!

i hate to use a fuel pun here but i feel like you are gaslighting me! like HHF literally won that race because Mika had to make a late fuel stop!
Old 25 Feb 2024, 18:54 (Ref:4198236)   #20
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
worked for me.

Yes, it seems to be working fine now. Not sure what happened earlier ?
Old 26 Feb 2024, 08:42 (Ref:4198291)   #21
DifferentTurn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie View Post
Hard to say, but probably you saw something like this

Did you enjoy the video?
Old 26 Feb 2024, 08:45 (Ref:4198293)   #22
DifferentTurn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie View Post
Hard to say, but probably you saw something like this

Did you enjoy the video?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 09.41.43.png  
Old 26 Feb 2024, 20:51 (Ref:4198409)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
actually the time that they needed to make it work, to cover the extra stop, was found on track by TGF. so imo it had on track action as well.

regardless tho, they also had refuelling in 99 and position changes due to pitlane/pit strategy always plays a huge factor in races with variable weather so im not sure what your point is other than you like one race over another race despite of the reasons you highlighted for not liking that other race.

like seriously guy!

i hate to use a fuel pun here but i feel like you are gaslighting me! like HHF literally won that race because Mika had to make a late fuel stop!

Seriously you are making an argument over nothing and despite what you think, you are NOT comparing like with like. One was an action packed wet race with plenty of overtaking, incident and the like. The other was a dull dry race decided by pit strategy. You may think differently, that’s fine, but don’t feel the need to pick holes in my post for the sake of it
Old 27 Feb 2024, 05:49 (Ref:4198438)   #24
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brilliant!
Great work.FOM should hire you to remake all the season reviews.
Old 27 Feb 2024, 08:44 (Ref:4198449)   #25
DifferentTurn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Brilliant!
Great work.FOM should hire you to remake all the season reviews.
Thank you for the kind words! I can assure you that there's more to come indeed

Last edited by DifferentTurn; 27 Feb 2024 at 08:44. Reason: typo