Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 6 Sep 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3299957)   #76
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, John! That Rouen course looks super fast!
Old 6 Sep 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3299985)   #77
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rouen was so fast that they had to construct the Six Freres chicane, after Jo Schlesser died in a Honda that was so dangerous that John Surtees would not drive it. Full of fuel and made largely of magnesium it was un-extinguishable.
See: http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/safety.html but only if you have a strong stomach. Schlesser's death is the second on the list. The writer of this page has done Motorsport a service by collecting rarely seen pics of many fatal accidents but the page should have an X-certificate.

And if you are feeling that way, note my Gueux video that shows, at 8:18, the cross that is the memorial to Luigi Musso, in the same Grand Prix that was Fangio's last race.

John
Old 6 Sep 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3300014)   #78
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Those fiery crashes are truly horrific. We are all fortunate, not least the drivers, that safety has improved so much in that area.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3300112)   #79
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Thanks, John! That Rouen course looks super fast!
I know people will laugh at me and chunder will take the mickey if and when he finds this post, but virtual racers can get something of an idea of what driving these sensational tracks was like by driving them in Grand Prix Legends. I've actually spent a bit of time driving the old Spa recently. Just great fun. Nothing like reality of course, but it does bring home how much more difficult (and dangerous) it was then....
Old 7 Sep 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3300308)   #80
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
If there IS anything left of the Rouen circuit, I drove past it. Easy to find on the way to Le Mans...
The downhill hairpin is an eye opener.
Headig into Holland this year from LM, we stopped briefly at Rheims. Wow, is all I can say.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7635077017524/

I have some shots from the OLD Spa yet to be shared on Flickr. Watch my space, as they say... That bit referred to above, with DC and Lewis going round. At one point they were looking for Masta. They should have been in the layby the other side of the road. You can't MISS it from there...

Last edited by Tim the Grey; 7 Sep 2013 at 22:31.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3300311)   #81
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lovely shots Tim

So have they painted up the old scoreboard now?
Old 7 Sep 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3300313)   #82
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Not having been before, I don't know... I must blow 25 Euro, and join The Friends...
Old 8 Sep 2013, 07:30 (Ref:3300397)   #83
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
This is how I've been used to seeing it:-

http://www.circuitsofthepast.nl/gall...s-Gueux_23.jpg

Last edited by bella; 9 Sep 2013 at 09:24. Reason: edited to show the link because ayse is naughty and hotlinked, and it didn't work :P
Old 8 Sep 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3300446)   #84
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good video of a modern-day drive around the old Spa circuit here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQo8GVruJ14
Old 8 Sep 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3300455)   #85
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
This page saddens me. How could the locals allow this to happen?

http://8w.forix.com/rouen-99-00.html
Old 8 Sep 2013, 12:00 (Ref:3300465)   #86
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
This page saddens me. How could the locals allow this to happen?

http://8w.forix.com/rouen-99-00.html
Very sad.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 06:58 (Ref:3300838)   #87
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fom personal experience - see my video - the cobbles are still there, under the tarmac!

Yes, it is sad that Les Essarts has lost all its superstructure, and indeed a quarter of the circuit. But as they say about radio - the pictures in your head are better! Thanks for those pics of the demolition. Clearly the pits were the same 'opera boxes' as Gueux.
And thanks to Tim the Grey for some most atmospheric night shots of Gueux. He showed the "Respect des pilotes. Respect du site." signs. I fear that in the UK such a place would be a sea of crisp packets and pop bottles, if not more unpleasant rubbish. In France its clean and neat, even though, AFAIK, there is no warden there all the time. Les Amis are a mighty group!

John
Old 9 Sep 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3301223)   #88
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I ran out of light to get some of the shots I'd planned. There's a couple of framed photos on one wall, for instance, of a World Motorcycle speed record set at Rheims, not so long ago...
As said, the Neds would have that away in jig time, over here.

It struck me that it's saving grace is that it's away from anywhere, really...

Anyway, Glad you like 'em! Thanks for the kind words. I just tried to get the FEEL of the place.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3302249)   #89
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Very successfully indeed. It just makes me want to pay a visit myself even more.....
Old 13 Sep 2013, 02:42 (Ref:3303120)   #90
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is something eerie, haunting and sad, yet utterly fascinating about abandoned circuits. I've been meaning to read this thread for some time now. Great stuff! I have only read accounts of the he Reims circuit until this thread; looked simple and fast. Only time across the pond for me, I hung around the Gypsy Hill area, and surely would have passed by the old Crystal Palace park and circuit several times, unbeknownst to me. I did, however, know about Brands and found myself hanging out there for a Saturday of historics

Here's one that I never had the chance to get to (wasn't around at the time) and it appears it was just far too ahead of its time. It had a 1/2 asphalt shorttrack, drag strip, cart track and a daunting, high banked 3 mile road course, plus a planned, but unfinished 2 mile speedway!
Augusta International Raceway

In this case, a local nonprofit has come together to try and preserve what is left:
http://www.augustainternationalraceway.org/

Track Map / Arial Photo
Article on track history w/ photos
Video of modern day look at the circuit

Driving a King Cobra, Dave McDonald beat Jim Hall and Bob Holbert in a USSRC race merely weeks before he lost his life at Indy. This is was the only "big" sportscar race held at the circuit:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...964-03-01.html

Great article with photos and clippings from that USSRC race:
http://www.davemacdonald.net/gallery...raaugusta1.htm

Fireball Roberts won his last NASCAR race there on the 3 mile road course. Richard Petty, Joe Weatherly, David Pearson, Bobby Issac and Dick Hutcherson are among winners on the 1/2 mile oval. In 1964 Wendell Scott finished 18th at Augusta the week before he won his only race at Jacksonville Speedway.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 06:37 (Ref:3303171)   #91
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I have just had a google map session on the place.

What a shame, looked like a mighty circuit.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 10:39 (Ref:3303269)   #92
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just took a look at AIR for the first time on Google maps and even though the life of the track was too short, it would have been only a matter of time until the Augusta sprawl made it that far south.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3303451)   #93
JohnD
Veteran

Has anyone visited Autodrome De Linas-Montlhery?

Built in 1924 (!) it's south west of Paris and consists of a steeply banked oval with the later addition of a 'road' course, and appears completely intact. The road course is strange in that part of it is a dual carriage way! Easily visible on Google Earth at 48.62 North 2.24 East, it is still used for track days. For a video, see: http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...46%26bih%3D794

John
Old 13 Sep 2013, 18:18 (Ref:3303490)   #94
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Has anyone visited Autodrome De Linas-Montlhery?

John
Ken Block did.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8
Old 13 Sep 2013, 19:11 (Ref:3303505)   #95
JohnD
Veteran

Hmmmmmmmm!

That trick driving gets me the same way as Dr.Johnson, on an usual sight in the 18th Century.
"Sir, a woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all."

But at least that driver did take the highline around one of the banked turns so respect for that.

John
Old 13 Sep 2013, 19:21 (Ref:3303510)   #96
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I love that! Mad.
Old 14 Sep 2013, 12:09 (Ref:3303808)   #97
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have loved to have raced around this place....

Meadowdale in Illinois, USA - complete with a Monza style banking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadowd...tional_Raceway

http://www.mirpa.org/

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...a-300dd0bb0f66
Old 14 Sep 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3303824)   #98
JohnD
Veteran

What an extraordinary story (in Wiki)
" One [housing] developer, who was erecting a housing subdivision along the river, decided to install a road race track across the highway from the subdivision as an attraction."

Every circuit in the UK has to battle local residents, when the circuits have been in place many years while the residents whohaven't object to being able to hear engines at weekends.
What's the 'noise climate' like in the US, where of course there is a LOT more space to put noisy sports into?
JOhn
Old 14 Sep 2013, 13:36 (Ref:3303828)   #99
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Surely every housing development ought to have it's own racetrack? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me....... You get the clear impression though that Meadowdale was pretty well doomed from the start - a fatality in it's 3rd race.......
Old 14 Sep 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3303885)   #100
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
I would have loved to have raced around this place....

Meadowdale in Illinois, USA - complete with a Monza style banking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadowd...tional_Raceway

http://www.mirpa.org/

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...a-300dd0bb0f66
Wow, what an extraordinary track and what an extraordinary time to be alive. It's truly a shame I was born in the 90s... by that point, even Riverside was gone.