Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 24 Feb 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3210200)   #1
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Len Brammer R.I.P.

Sad news reached the Mini 7 Racing Club recently, when we learned of the death of former double champion, Len Brammer.

Welshman Len took up Mini racing in the late-1960s, firstly in 850cc Free Formula and then appeared in Formula Mini-7 during the 1969 season, finishing 18th overall and scoring 12 points in just five starts, boosted by a strong fourth place at Mallory Park.

His second season of Formula Mini-7 in 1970 soon turned that early promise into clear race wins, nine in all, plus several fastest laps and pole positions, and enough to secure the Box Fox Trophy from closest challenger, Ian Briggs.

This success prompted a move up to the 998cc Miglia Mini class for 1971 and, with a new Longman-tuned engine, Len’s re-worked MRL car (still orange in colour and with a Union Jack roof) fought out a season-long battle with the dayglo Mayfield example of inaugural Miglia Champion, Mick Osborne. History relates that Len narrowly won the then named Special Tuning Trophy for Miglia Mini by five points.

After securing back-to-back titles, Len then tried his hand at powerful Special Saloons, finishing runner-up in his class and third overall in a championship won by the late, great Gerry Marshall. Further forays into single seaters during the 1970s, including Formula Ford, gave Len a wider range of motor racing experience.

Ultimately, it was Minis that saw his return to racing in the early-1990s, in a Mini Miglia, and again powered by a Longman engine. His first full season back in 1991 proved Len had lost none of his skills behind the wheel, finishing fifth overall, with three podium visits including a race win at Snetterton. The following 1992 season brought further progress, with a couple more victories, three fastest race laps and a rise to fourth overall in the standings. It was third overall for 1993, including another win, while a season-opening victory at Mallory Park in 1994 was the highlight as Len decided to call an end to his Mini racing career.

Len wasn’t finished with Mini racing, however, and was instrumental in mentoring young David McGuinness to 1996 Miglia Novice honours in the car he previously drove.

In recent years, and despite ill health, Len still found time to occasionally visit the Mini 7 paddock, and will be sadly missed by those who knew him. Farewell to a true Mini racing champion.

Len’s funeral will be held on 27th February, 12 noon, at the Wyre Forest Crematorium and Cemetery
Minster Road
Stourport on Severn
Worcestershire

http://www.mini7.co.uk/news015.html
Old 25 Feb 2013, 10:55 (Ref:3210371)   #2
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I never knew Len personally, I have always been a huge fan of Mini 7 and Mini Miglia right from the start and saw Len racing on many, many occasions. I have him to thank amongst all the other mini drivers for the splendid entertainment that they have given over the years, and still do! I live locally and shall attend his funeral as my tribute to him. R.I.P.