Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Mar 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1547194)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Jaguar Egal

Barrie 'Whizzo' Williams was the man 'In the Hot Seat' in the March edition of MotorSport. One of the questions he was asked was about the Jaguar Egal, the E-Type fitted with a 7-litre V8 Ford Galaxy engine prepared by Holman & Moody! I remembered seeing this car at Silverstone many years ago and last night found a picture that I had taken at the time. I've also found the programme for the event which was the Cornthwaite Trophy Race meeting on 1st July 1967. According to the programme, on that occasion it was driven by R(ob?) Beck and my memory of it was of coming through Becketts in the lead with a horde of G12s in attendance, opening up a fair gap on the Club Straight only to have them rush up to the back of him under braking for Woodcote (no chicanes or complex then!). I'm pretty certain that it stayed ahead and won! Apparently, Whizzo won in this car over 20 times. Anyone have any recollections of this car and the impressions it left?

Old 16 Mar 2006, 07:44 (Ref:1550062)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Anyone have any recollections of this car and the impressions it left?
No-one then? is this one of those racing cars, memories of which are lost in the mists of time? If 'Whizzo' drove it, surely not?
Old 5 Jun 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2891417)   #3
Will Turner
Rookie

Will Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar Egal

Dear John,

I took this picture on my box brownie circa 1965, at Oulton Park

Hope it comes through OK

Will
Attached Thumbnails
E-gal Paddock001.jpg  
Old 5 Jun 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2891701)   #4
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a couple mentions on my program listings of the Jaguar Egal both times for Barrie

Both were Motoring News GT rounds in 1967
25th June at Mallory Park
14th October at Silverstone
Listed as Blue in colour.

Pete
Old 7 Jun 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2892643)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Welcome Will; great to see this resurrected, thanks, and your input, Pete. My pic has disappeared as, in those days, I posted them through Imageshack, and so I'll see if I can dig it out again! I was surprised that there were no responses to my initial post but then it was a long time ago, and even longer now!

Last edited by John Turner; 7 Jun 2011 at 08:24.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2892648)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, let's see how this grainy old pic comes out:-
Attached Thumbnails
img663wb.jpg  
Old 7 Jun 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2892716)   #7
Mike Fisher
Rookie

Mike Fisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Egal Jaguar

Dear John

Just read your letters regarding Rob Beck's Egal Jaguar. I remember this car very well. It was built by a friend of my Geoff Richardson (ex Formula 1 racer and builder of the RRA [Richardson Racing Automobiles] sports racing cars). The car was commissioned by Rob Beck and I witnessed its progress over a number of months.

As you say it had plenty of straight line speed and passed everything on the straights only to be passed by the more agile cars at the next corner.

I was talking to Barrie Williams last Saturday at Shelsley Walsh hill climb, he was driving an ex-work Broadspeed Mini Cooper.

Regards

Mike Fisher
Old 9 Jun 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2894565)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Mike, great to hear from you. Do you have any pics of the car from that period and do you or indeed anyone else know what became of this car?
Old 15 Jun 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2899583)   #9
Mike Fisher
Rookie

Mike Fisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar Egal

John, sorry to say I cannot help on both counts. In those days we did not think it was so special as to warrant taking photographs. I have no idea who owns it now, the magazine Classic and Sports Car mentioned it a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the details.

Mike
Old 15 Jun 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2899707)   #10
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Alfie72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is worse than deep recovery hypnotherapy - just when you think it's safe to come out again, something like this gets brought back to the surface.

The thing was awesome - In a very childish like way as I remember! It was a monster of a thing that had this 15 yr old boy very excited indeed.

I will need to take a look deep into the Proggy box and see if I come across anything. 1967 is certainly a time when the programmes were kept. Cornthwaite Trophy certainly rings a bell. Leave it with me
Old 16 Jun 2011, 08:11 (Ref:2900003)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Mike, thanks for your input, anyway; all info is gratefully received. I must admit however, that it was a bit of a stand out car, at club level anyway, and, I suppose, is now all the more special when looking back over such a long time. The fact that it's subsequent history seems a mystery makes it all the more so, and Alfie's post hits the spot for me. More, anybody, please!
Old 18 Jun 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2901541)   #12
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
All I have to do is master the posting of a couple of scans -
Attached Thumbnails
scan0010.jpg   scan0011.jpg  
Old 18 Jun 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2901542)   #13
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Well, what do you know, it worked!!
Old 19 Jun 2011, 08:12 (Ref:2901724)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well done, Alfie. So it was Whizzo in the car on that occasion. I tended not to mark my programmes much in those days!
Old 19 Jun 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2901755)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember seeing it at Silverstone in my childhood, in '67 I think. The reason I took notice of it was because I recall my Dad telling me it had a Galaxie engine..and my Dad had been a mechanic on the ex-Alan Brown Galaxie the year before when raced by Jacquie Bond-Smith. There is colour film of it on the BRSCC '67 season review film. A very short clip from Combe.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2904272)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,sorry this is sooooo late,only just taken notice of the title!. As you know,Whiz and myself go back a fair while but one of his many recollections of the Egal was that first time out it scared the [life] out of him because the brakes were so bad! Best thing was the handling,it went round corners as if etc.I'll ask if he has any other pictures of it when I see him later in the week.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2904602)   #17
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This picture of the Egal was taken at Castle Combe on 30th July 1966. On this occasion it was driven by Chris Summers.
Attached Thumbnails
Jag Egal.jpg  
Old 23 Jun 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2904899)   #18
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
What a memory - I had quite forgotten that Chris drove it.

I think the Egal was the only roof I ever saw him under. That is if you exclude the old Silverstone Scrutineering Bay!
Old 22 Aug 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2944359)   #19
dfuzz
Rookie

dfuzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a friend's father owned this lovely beast in the 70s and 80s in manhattan beach, california. to ride in it (I was probably 14 at the time) was an experience unlike any other. glad to see it is still inspiring dialogue. anybody have any idea where it lives today?
Old 23 Aug 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2944599)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Welcome dfuzz; yes, it would be good to learn that it still exists and, if so, where?
Old 24 Aug 2011, 02:52 (Ref:2944903)   #21
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
John,sorry this is sooooo late,only just taken notice of the title!. As you know,Whiz and myself go back a fair while but one of his many recollections of the Egal was that first time out it scared the [life] out of him because the brakes were so bad! Best thing was the handling,it went round corners as if etc.I'll ask if he has any other pictures of it when I see him later in the week.
What did it have for brakes?

The FE Ford is only apprx. forty pounds heavier than the Jaguar six.

How many changes were made to the car?
Old 27 Mar 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3049461)   #22
goodwoodweirdo
Rookie

goodwoodweirdo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be great to find any more information on this car and other cars of Mr Rob Beck... he had a Jaguar XJ-S in the 70's would love to find pixs of that... especially as I just brought it ...

Mrs Beck told me, she thought the Egal was sold to New Zealand, but hey its a long time ago...

Cheers
Matt
Old 5 Mar 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3214566)   #23
charles fuchs
Rookie

charles fuchs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
e-gal

I have just joined your ten-tenths team and was reading about the e-gal. Just wanted the world to know that the car is at the present time in Mamaroneck, New york and is about to move to Connecticut for a total restoration. We have all the parts and the engine has already been rebuilt. The car belonged to my brother in law who passed away and has now come into our possession. We feel it is only fitting to rebuild the car and bring it back onto the world stage.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3214585)   #24
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the forum. Great to hear the car is being rebuilt and I hope you bring it back over the pond sometime.
Old 5 Mar 2013, 15:49 (Ref:3214599)   #25
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles fuchs View Post
I have just joined your ten-tenths team and was reading about the e-gal. Just wanted the world to know that the car is at the present time in Mamaroneck, New york and is about to move to Connecticut for a total restoration. We have all the parts and the engine has already been rebuilt. The car belonged to my brother in law who passed away and has now come into our possession. We feel it is only fitting to rebuild the car and bring it back onto the world stage.
Charlie, you have my sympathies, but also my heart-felt support for your project. As you can see from this thread, some things are never forgotten.