Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Mar 2015, 03:18 (Ref:3513912)   #101
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't bought AA for years, but a friend told me to buy it last week because my car was in a photograph.

Monday seems like a crazy day to release. No one wants to read old news. Thursday makes sense to me. The previews are topical and the reviews are still fresh.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 03:21 (Ref:3513913)   #102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps AA is exploring the potential of its online footprint, somethibg Mr Fogarty was apparently looking into back when ACP owned the magazine

I suppose Bauer could always sell AA off to NextMedia. They are great custodians of motorsport magazines
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Mar 2015, 04:04 (Ref:3513923)   #103
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Perhaps AA is exploring the potential of its online footprint, somethibg Mr Fogarty was apparently looking into back when ACP owned the magazine

I suppose Bauer could always sell AA off to NextMedia. They are great custodians of motorsport magazines
You mean like what Haymarket Media Australia did with F1 Racing?
Old 12 Mar 2015, 03:21 (Ref:3514373)   #104
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by prn 31 View Post
You mean like what Haymarket Media Australia did with F1 Racing?
I was thinking of Australasian Motorsport News prn31, but your example has equally horrible an outcome

Old 13 Mar 2015, 00:26 (Ref:3514643)   #105
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I was thinking of Australasian Motorsport News prn31, but your example has equally horrible an outcome
I really liked the Motorsport eNews, it was the death of AA to me, but then it died too.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 10:38 (Ref:3517394)   #106
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading some of the comments for the 1st time on the Speedcafe articles around M. Ambrose, it makes me wonder if I was a potential "Platinum Partner" i'm not sure i'd want my brand to be associated with some of the absolute morons on there. Is it ever moderated/offensive posts removed?
Old 20 Mar 2015, 11:42 (Ref:3517400)   #107
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, it's pretty much a free-for-all.

Same goes for the V8SC website's comments section and their respective Facebook pages.

It's quite sad to think that some of the scum that pollutes the abovementioned, are likeminded 'enthusiasts'. But I do have to chuckle at some on there though, who seemed to have dreampt up their own storylines for the series, which absolutely contradict pretty much every driver, sponsor, or team-based contract, not to mention actual race results and statistics...
Old 20 Mar 2015, 23:24 (Ref:3517635)   #108
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Reading some of the comments for the 1st time on the Speedcafe articles around M. Ambrose, it makes me wonder if I was a potential "Platinum Partner" i'm not sure i'd want my brand to be associated with some of the absolute morons on there. Is it ever moderated/offensive posts removed?
That is the difference between a moderated forum environment like this one, and an open free for all.

You might have thought that having all your personal details attached to your FB account or whatever was used to post at Speedcafe or even on stories on FB itself would stop the level of venom sometimes shared... but it doesnt seem to.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 00:10 (Ref:3544442)   #109
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Team Inquires About Debuting Mustang In 2017

...and its not prodrive... yet the article doesnt speculate it to be Penske, which it is possibly likely to be...
Old 2 Jun 2015, 00:17 (Ref:3544031)   #110
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a Phelps piece...
Old 2 Jun 2015, 00:23 (Ref:3544033)   #111
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Ok.. I am a bit lost.

I spent my $4.99 yesterday on the latest AA download. They made it difficult for me by updating the app so it didnt work the seamless way it did before they 'improved' it, but hey welcome to home made apps.

The problem for me is their online strategy. There were very few bits of new news, interest or similar, more like feature stories you might find in V8X, albeit with a bit more currency. But with a similar flavour.

Then you see their posts on FB, and they talk about all sorts of events and happenings, some scoops, some media releases tuned up, yet none of this ends up in the main 'paper', expounded and expanded and shared with the benefit of a few days' more insight

I struggle to see what they are trying to be. You are either a magazine or online in this space. There doesnt seem to be the capacity or interest to build two distinct and independent franchises.

Old 2 Jun 2015, 00:24 (Ref:3544035)   #112
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It's a Phelps piece...
Sure, but someone must be telling him all this stuff. perhaps the reveal is on Inside Supercar. It would make sense to talk about it in the paper to build up the audience for the story on the teev show.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 00:32 (Ref:3544036)   #113
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed man it is scattered. There was a time I read that religiously and never missed one.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 00:50 (Ref:3544041)   #114
Umai Naa
Veteran

That period of time, where the office gopher was in control of their Facebook page was the final nail for me.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 00:56 (Ref:3544043)   #115
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
That period of time, where the office gopher was in control of their Facebook page was the final nail for me.
I dont know how much has changed now.

I may be a romantic, but when you read AA in the 'old days', it was like reading a work of art, you were given spectacular vivid imagery to almost put you trackside, and covering all the large and small things happening across a weekend.

Now, the picture sells the story, the words without depth or flavour to keep the interest. Especially since reading them has you thinking the story is incomplete.

Its one of the frustrations of the Speedcafe model too. It doesnt take particularly longer to write a good story with links to other events that are interdependent, yet they dont do it.

Surely copywriters arent that expensive?

I know for some websites for brand name FMCG products, they have in the past paid students to write opinion pieces about this problem or this solution.. and these pieces have ended up as content on those sites, suitably tweaked for relevance of course.

Perhaps the business model is flawed?
Old 2 Jun 2015, 01:20 (Ref:3544053)   #116
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
It's a Phelps piece...
Good, that means there is some element of truth to it
Old 2 Jun 2015, 01:21 (Ref:3544054)   #117
Umai Naa
Veteran

Only some.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 01:30 (Ref:3544057)   #118
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Only some.
of course, its information about the future, Its not a hard and fast thing like who won the last race that is in the public domain
Old 2 Jun 2015, 02:41 (Ref:3544072)   #119
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sure, but someone must be telling him all this stuff.
Assuming of course he isn't just making it up
Old 2 Jun 2015, 05:49 (Ref:3544092)   #120
pug205
Rookie

pug205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Assuming of course he isn't just making it up
I wouldn't give him that much credit. As he has shown on TV the last few weeks, the man knows nothing. I would say he is just going off the brief he is given from his bosses in the publicity department and his copy will be the sentences linking up the main points in it. He will chuck in a few of his classic typos just so it is not too much like a PR release.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 06:16 (Ref:3544097)   #121
Umai Naa
Veteran

He's that much of a regurgitator, he put all of Dick Johnsons spelling mistakes into his autobiography.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 06:43 (Ref:3544103)   #122
pug205
Rookie

pug205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a shame that after nearly 20 years of V8 Supercars and the millions spent and the way the series has grown we still do not seem to have made any real in roads with the mainstream media. The TV networks and papers really only coverage the big events at best and when they do, they use out of date images and rely on cheesy and corny stereotypes about petrol heads and bogans.

Motorsport has never been a mainstream sport but we have had decent motorsport journalists in the past and they at one or another supported and covered Australian Touring Cars with intelligence and a bit of flair. Now all we have is a puppet writing articles at an 8th grade level for a newspaper aimed purely at morons. Yes you can argue it is good to have something out their in the mainstream but really it does the series a disservice and sells the series short. It deserves better.
Old 2 Jun 2015, 06:51 (Ref:3544105)   #123
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug205 View Post
It is a shame that after nearly 20 years of V8 Supercars and the millions spent and the way the series has grown we still do not seem to have made any real in roads with the mainstream media. The TV networks and papers really only coverage the big events at best and when they do, they use out of date images and rely on cheesy and corny stereotypes about petrol heads and bogans.

Motorsport has never been a mainstream sport but we have had decent motorsport journalists in the past and they at one or another supported and covered Australian Touring Cars with intelligence and a bit of flair. Now all we have is a puppet writing articles at an 8th grade level for a newspaper aimed purely at morons. Yes you can argue it is good to have something out their in the mainstream but really it does the series a disservice and sells the series short. It deserves better.
I do wonder on some level whether Archer Capital should be offering an equity position to News Limited, in exchange for a commitment to cover the sport with the same intensity they cover AFL & NRL...
Old 2 Jun 2015, 07:15 (Ref:3544108)   #124
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
when has there even been a good motorsport reporter in main stream media, certainly not in the last 30 years.

If you want motorsport media you went to the supporting magazines, weeklys, which funnily enough football does not really have or at least not traditionally and maybe thats part of the reason why mainstream media has not really promoted motorsport
Old 2 Jun 2015, 07:18 (Ref:3544109)   #125
Umai Naa
Veteran

Peter Mackay?