Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jun 2015, 14:53 (Ref:3546529)   #51
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sadly they are doing the only thing they can do and that is treat the remainder of the season like a several month long test session.

its not compelling television and i cant blame people not wanting to watch a series where most of the marquee teams must use game time situations as development sessions. thats not what people expect and its really not what anyone should have to pay for.

im still a fan of budget caps, but something has to give on this front. perhaps instead of increasing team payouts, FOM should try something radical like subsidizing, if not outright paying for, group test sessions because surely F1 is better off when more than one team is living on the sharp end.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 01:46 (Ref:3546714)   #52
Rindt70
Rookie

Rindt70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I think we can safely say at this stage that not much information left Mercedes via McLaren to Honda.
.....True
Old 17 Jun 2015, 12:21 (Ref:3551521)   #53
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An interesting piece on McLaren-Honda's predicament.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119529
Old 17 Aug 2015, 15:27 (Ref:3566485)   #54
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
seems like Mclaren are getting an extensively updated/upgraded engine in time for the next race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120337

i hope it is a step forward because this is all they have left for the year.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 16:14 (Ref:3566491)   #55
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
seems like Mclaren are getting an extensively updated/upgraded engine in time for the next race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120337

i hope it is a step forward because this is all they have left for the year.
I was about to post that exact link. The news on engine updates is good, but I found other parts of that article most interesting. Basically Honda (Yasuhisa Arai) are saying...

1. Hungary spec engine is better than the Renault engine.
2. Belgian spec engine will be on par with Ferrari engine.
3. They expect to match Mercedes over the winter.
4. The McLaren chassis is now the weak point.

I find it both big talk as well as interesting that they are now publicly pointing the finger at McLaren.

Richard
Old 17 Aug 2015, 16:15 (Ref:3566492)   #56
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
"Mk 3 [will be introduced] in Spa [and] we have already started development on next season's power unit.

"Mk 4 will be on the same level as Mercedes, that is the target; Mk 3 will be on a level similar to Ferrari, which is what we're aiming for. It's a big step."
Will the MK4 be on par with the current Merc or what Merc turn up with next year?
Old 17 Aug 2015, 16:28 (Ref:3566494)   #57
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
unless there are changes in rules or testing, it seems unrealistic to believe their MK4 will be on par with the engine that Merc starts the next season with.

i suppose merc could stand still or even go backwards aiding in their cause.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 16:34 (Ref:3566496)   #58
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Will the MK4 be on par with the current Merc or what Merc turn up with next year?
I think they can only benchmark what Mercedes is currently doing. They would have no clue as to how large or small Mercedes gains will be next year. Either way, even matching the current Mercedes PU would be a huge jump.

I am skeptical that the current unit is a match for Renault and am just as doubtful they can match Ferrari. And note, that is just on the PU side.

It just seems so odd that Honda would make such claims give how rough of a time they have had so far. Did they truly have an "ah ha" moment and figure it all out, or are they just under pressure to indicate forward movement and to get some of the heat off of themselves. This all seems like the target audience for this is not us, but McLaren (or those who back McLaren). And... don't write checks you can't cash.

Richard
Old 17 Aug 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3566523)   #59
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
also odd in light of the more respectful/measured approach McLaren-Honda have taken in contrast to the approach taken by RB and Renault.

after half a season of quiet and measured improvements and on the strength of a strong last race, im also curious as to Honda's need to make such a bold pronouncement prior to the next race.

its not a transcript of the full conversation between Arai and Autosport, but the selection of quotes used (especially the second section of the article) lends itself to the notion that if it doesnt work then that would confirm that this is a Mclaren issue and not a Honda one.

i may be overthinking it though
Old 17 Aug 2015, 23:19 (Ref:3566557)   #60
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Here is the article

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular

However six Honda engine failures for both drivers are difficult to idly step around.
Really they only said they were better than Renault and were looKing at competing with Ferrari.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 23:45 (Ref:3566561)   #61
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect the targeted audience for Honda was not the general puplic but someone a lot closer to its F1 operation.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 15:35 (Ref:3566699)   #62
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Here is the article

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular

However six Honda engine failures for both drivers are difficult to idly step around.
Really they only said they were better than Renault and were looKing at competing with Ferrari.
yeah thats the same article i linked.

again its possible that autosport just jazzed it up but:

Arai suggested the limitations of the MP4-30, which McLaren has updated continuously over the course of the season, masked Honda's engine performance in Hungary, where Arai said the unit was running at full power.

"[The car has] not so good mechanical grip, or aero, compared with Red Bull there is still a big gap," Arai added.

sort of sounds like he is saying more though...like if they dont get the gains he predicted earlier in the article then the fault is with Mclaren.
Old 18 Aug 2015, 16:34 (Ref:3566712)   #63
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound2 View Post
I suspect the targeted audience for Honda was not the general puplic but someone a lot closer to its F1 operation.
I think we are the target audience. The mantra has been "this car is gonna be great when Honda sort the engine out" for a while now. Honda would presumably like to hear us all saying "this car is going to be great when McLaren sort the chassis out" instead.

I can imagine Mr. Arai knows where his engine stands on power, torque, and fuel economy, but can he really be so sure about driveability or energy harvesting?
Old 18 Aug 2015, 23:14 (Ref:3566821)   #64
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo View Post
I think we are the target audience. The mantra has been "this car is gonna be great when Honda sort the engine out" for a while now. Honda would presumably like to hear us all saying "this car is going to be great when McLaren sort the chassis out" instead.

I can imagine Mr. Arai knows where his engine stands on power, torque, and fuel economy, but can he really be so sure about driveability or energy harvesting?
If Fred and Jense can't tell him that, then they are clearly paying the wrong people way too much money!
Old 18 Aug 2015, 23:57 (Ref:3566835)   #65
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can they say compared with this year's Ferrari and Renault motors specifically?

The comments are clearly supposed to move the focus off Honda, but have they really caught up in every respect or just in the things you can figure out from sound analysis and the like?
Old 19 Aug 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3566900)   #66
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that Arai san has fallen into the same trap that both Ferrari and, more importantly, Renault went into. He is making comments based on the performance of the PSUs whilst they aere being tested on a bench in the workshop. Their true worth is only realised once they are installed in the car, and they are used in the circuit environment.

There is also a strong possibility that Arai san actually meant that with his comments. Rather than criticising the McLaren chassis and bodywork, he was only trying to say let's see if the PSU goes just as well when it's installed.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 16:44 (Ref:3566961)   #67
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
fair point Mike.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 17:55 (Ref:3566977)   #68
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo View Post
Quote:
If Fred and Jense can't tell him that, then they are clearly paying the wrong people way too much money!
To the criticism of the drivers... How would they know at this point in time? I am sure they have run it all on the simulators and test rigs, but frankly they have to run the updated Spa spec power unit this weekend on track before they can give accurate and real world feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I think that Arai san has fallen into the same trap that both Ferrari and, more importantly, Renault went into. He is making comments based on the performance of the PSUs whilst they aere being tested on a bench in the workshop. Their true worth is only realised once they are installed in the car, and they are used in the circuit environment.

There is also a strong possibility that Arai san actually meant that with his comments. Rather than criticising the McLaren chassis and bodywork, he was only trying to say let's see if the PSU goes just as well when it's installed.
Actually that all sums up why I think the quotes in the article was odd. If I was in Arai's shoes, my quotes would have been more like...

"We are bringing a number of power unit changes to Spa and are expecting some real improvements. While simulation and internal testing data looks good, the on track performance is what really matters. Lets see how the entire package works together this weekend."

I really wonder if this all is the first real public crack in the partnership. Especially if the car (complete package) does not have a huge jump forward this weekend. I really hope it does go well for them this weekend.

Richard
Old 19 Aug 2015, 23:24 (Ref:3567050)   #69
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I tend to agree with Richard. There's no point saying anything in public if the message is simply "now let's see how it runs in the car".

Though I agree with Mike on the nature of the potential "trap". Wasn't it Honda who previously had a reputation for being interested only in peak power and not paying enough attention to how drivable the engine was during their previous stint?
Old 19 Aug 2015, 23:46 (Ref:3567055)   #70
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
To the criticism of the drivers... How would they know at this point in time? I am sure they have run it all on the simulators and test rigs, but frankly they have to run the updated Spa spec power unit this weekend on track before they can give accurate and real world feedback.
TBF is was commenting on:

"Arai told AUTOSPORT his company's existing engine was "much better than Renault" during the most recent race in Hungary, and that the upgraded version will take it closer to Ferrari's output."

Jense and Fred drove it in Hungary - they should know where they stand,
the rest from Arai is just dreaming! Let's see what it looks like!

Are Honda trying to court RBR?
Old 20 Aug 2015, 01:22 (Ref:3567084)   #71
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
TBF is was commenting on:

"Arai told AUTOSPORT his company's existing engine was "much better than Renault" during the most recent race in Hungary, and that the upgraded version will take it closer to Ferrari's output."

Jense and Fred drove it in Hungary - they should know where they stand,
the rest from Arai is just dreaming! Let's see what it looks like!

Are Honda trying to court RBR?
I could be wrong, but I think the Hungary spec was the older spec with mostly reliability improvements and also with the power turned up (they had power turned down previously due to heat rejection issues which impacted reliability). The Spa spec engine is the one with a totally new combustion design and other significant changes. I think a good bit of their mid season tokens were used for this new spec. The Spa spec is an unknown.

But to be fair, I am sure they have been making software changes for each race to improve drivability (which was bad at the start of the season).

Interesting idea regarding RBR! That might be the target audience for the bravado.

Richard
Old 20 Aug 2015, 05:49 (Ref:3567124)   #72
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if the Honda will sound different and more refined at Spa, after the apparent upgrades.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 08:35 (Ref:3567161)   #73
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think a number of things.
1. Honda have been working to improve their (engine) (sorry) PSU.
2. They're feeling a little shame-faced that they've not come straight back in and blitzed everyone else.
3. Mr Arai is countering some of the (very non-McLaren like) criticisms publicly made by Mr Boulier of the Honda PSU package by firing back that the McLaren chassis isn't perfect either.
4. That we will have to wait and see what happens this weekend, but hope that all these claims of improvements are justified and we see Fernando & Jenson closer to the pointy end and enjoying themselves for a whole race distance.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 17:21 (Ref:3567279)   #74
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

sort of sounds like he is saying more though...like if they dont get the gains he predicted earlier in the article then the fault is with Mclaren.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

Arai also said this: "[Engine] unreliability has meant lots of parts were changed in winter testing and so things like flow-vis and taking data has been done during the season in FP1, due to the unreliability in the winter."

I read that as Honda taking responsibility for their part of the problem.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 17:28 (Ref:3567283)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alonso and Button to get grid penalties as they use their seventh Honda engines of the season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120370

I don't like these grid penalties. It's not the driver's fault. The team/engine manufacturer should have constructor's points deducted instead.