Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 May 2019, 06:50 (Ref:3905015)   #1751
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, he probably wouldn’t have bothered.
Old 21 May 2019, 06:58 (Ref:3905016)   #1752
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
No, he probably wouldn’t have bothered.
This lot did not bother much this time either apparently.
Old 21 May 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3905034)   #1753
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quite stunning lack of preparation and naievety by most accounts.

Alonso would doubtless have qualified, and qualified well, with an established team, or if McLaren has done thing properly.

This we all agree on it seems.

Why don't McLaren enter the whole season in '19 with 1 or 2 cars to come to terms with how it all goes and then when Fernando pitches up for practice early next May it will be fine.
Old 21 May 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3905041)   #1754
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Why don't McLaren enter the whole season in '19 with 1 or 2 cars to come to terms with how it all goes and then when Fernando pitches up for practice early next May it will be fine.
They can still do that if they really want. Alonso's WEC programme stops after Le Mans, and he has nothing else firmly lined up for '19 I think.
Old 21 May 2019, 13:51 (Ref:3905064)   #1755
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I really think Fred needs to think about doing it full time. I'm sure he will, because he wants it that bad.

The days of Jim Clark and Lotus just turning up and winning are long gone it seems.
Old 21 May 2019, 14:28 (Ref:3905069)   #1756
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Link was mangled. Here is a working version...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ms/3670736002/

The entire episode is a bit of a Schadenfreude moment. I am OK with that as Alonso and McLaren have both had success in the past and will find success in the future. They can both afford to take a public hit even if it is quite embarrassing. I feel really bad for the generally nameless crew who were clearly struggling to make it work. Dream gig becomes a nightmare.

Just imagine if part of the train-wreck was a documentary crew filming the entire thing.

Richard
Old 9 Jul 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3916720)   #1757
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Both drivers have been retained for 2020.
Good call IMO.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...orris-for-2020
Old 9 Jul 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3916731)   #1758
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
right! very good call and smart to get it done early.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 20:13 (Ref:3916739)   #1759
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The only sensible thing to do (makes a change!) Both drivers are doing well and the car/engine is clearly now a much better prospect.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 20:26 (Ref:3916741)   #1760
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well they need a period of consolidation so retaining the drivers is the right thing to do
Old 9 Jul 2019, 23:13 (Ref:3916763)   #1761
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Continuity is just what McLaren need at this juncture.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 08:08 (Ref:3916791)   #1762
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Both have done well for the team, so it makes sense to retain them. Let's hope the car continues to improve too
Old 10 Jul 2019, 11:37 (Ref:3916823)   #1763
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Many were looking for Zak Brown's head on a platter and said all his efforts were nothing more than him trying to save his position. Kudos for him and the team for putting their heads down and working through their problems.

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2019, 12:06 (Ref:3916824)   #1764
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Many were looking for Zak Brown's head on a platter and said all his efforts were nothing more than him trying to save his position. Kudos for him and the team for putting their heads down and working through their problems.

Richard
If anyone is deserving of Kudos, I would have thought it is Andreas Seidl. Since he was appointed team principle, McLaren have transformed.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 12:29 (Ref:3916828)   #1765
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Andreas Seidl only joined McLaren in May of this year, so I doubt this seasons improved car and the good choice of drivers is much to do with him.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 12:48 (Ref:3916830)   #1766
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Andreas Seidl only joined McLaren in May of this year, so I doubt this seasons improved car and the good choice of drivers is much to do with him.
I thought he was appointed back in January? Either way, things seem to have turned round since May.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 14:00 (Ref:3916851)   #1767
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If anyone is deserving of Kudos, I would have thought it is Andreas Seidl. Since he was appointed team principle, McLaren have transformed.
Not knocking your comment or the contribution of various members on the team. But it is funny that when things are bad, everyone shoots arrows into whoever is at the top. Then if there is success, it is the underlings who made it happen.

I am a strong believer in... Everyone factors in somehow. But bad management at the top is hard to overcome via good talent deeper in the ranks.

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3916859)   #1768
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Not knocking your comment or the contribution of various members on the team. But it is funny that when things are bad, everyone shoots arrows into whoever is at the top. Then if there is success, it is the underlings who made it happen.

I am a strong believer in... Everyone factors in somehow. But bad management at the top is hard to overcome via good talent deeper in the ranks.

Richard
Andreas Seidl isn't an underling, he was Team Principal for the Porsche LMP1 program and is now the Team Principal at McLaren. Bringing in someone new, can have a transforming effect. Let's see if McLaren's turn-around continues, or if it's just a flash in the pan.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3916862)   #1769
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Andreas Seidl isn't an underling, he was Team Principal for the Porsche LMP1 program and is now the Team Principal at McLaren. Bringing in someone new, can have a transforming effect. Let's see if McLaren's turn-around continues, or if it's just a flash in the pan.
I am not disagreeing with you regarding Seidl. I have/had great respect for the Porsche LMP1 program (I am a huge Porsche fan as well). My point about "underling" is that... Brown is the CEO of McLaren racing. He is at the very top. By definition everyone below him is an underling. That doesn't take away the stature or contribution of Seidl.

Even if he came onboard after the base design of the 2019 car and 2019 driver selection, I have no doubt he has had a positive impact. But my point still stands that... when things are bad... everyone points at he very top of the pyramid. When things are good, they don't do the same. And in the end my larger point (that we would I hope agree upon) is that success/failure is not 100% due to the person at the top. But I did say that it's hard to have a successful organization regardless of your talent pool if you have a poor leader.

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3916865)   #1770
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
as i tend to lean towards the drivers side of things, i would also throw some credit towards Alonso and Vandoorne...maybe more so Vandoorne as he potentially sacrificed his F1 career as he quietly and without complaint helped work out the last few years worth of cars issues out on track.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3916866)   #1771
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
as i tend to lean towards the drivers side of things, i would also throw some credit towards Alonso and Vandoorne...maybe more so Vandoorne as he potentially sacrificed his F1 career as he quietly and without complaint helped work out the last few years worth of cars issues out on track.
I think I remember seeing an article somewhere in which Alonso had made a similar comment regarding Vandoorne's contribution.

It's always unfortunate for a driver that deals with a team in the doldrums. Helps them move forward, but then is not around to reap the rewards.

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3916868)   #1772
S griffin
Veteran

I think we’ve seen in sportscars that Stoffel’s talent is still there
Old 10 Jul 2019, 15:47 (Ref:3916874)   #1773
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

And in the end my larger point (that we would I hope agree upon) is that success/failure is not 100% due to the person at the top. But I did say that it's hard to have a successful organization regardless of your talent pool if you have a poor leader.

Richard
I agree with that.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 23:39 (Ref:3916931)   #1774
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think I remember seeing an article somewhere in which Alonso had made a similar comment regarding Vandoorne's contribution.

It's always unfortunate for a driver that deals with a team in the doldrums. Helps them move forward, but then is not around to reap the rewards.

Richard

Agreed.
And despite him being underwhelming (in comparison) on his return, I still put a lot of Mercedes' resurgence down to Schumacher's work in 2010-12.
Old 11 Jul 2019, 01:24 (Ref:3916940)   #1775
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mr Seidl has apparently convinced the McLaren owners to throw a metric truckload of cash at a new on-site wind tunnel...

And has brought a stability (from the outside looking in you see) to the technical group that doesnt seem to have been there for a little while.

It does have you wondering whether the Honda mess would have been such a mess with Mr Seidl in the driver's seat as it were....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House