Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 May 2016, 18:37 (Ref:3645166)   #26
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Sandberg and Oschenbach crash!

Sandberg finally gets past Oschenbach on the infield, but he's well off line for the chicane and loses the rear on entry, only to send Oschenbach into a spin just as he exits.
Old 28 May 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3645240)   #27
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Sandberg and Oschenbach crash!

Sandberg finally gets past Oschenbach on the infield, but he's well off line for the chicane and loses the rear on entry, only to send Oschenbach into a spin just as he exits.
Just a small correction...it's Aschenbach, not Oschenbach!
Old 28 May 2016, 21:08 (Ref:3645245)   #28
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Ack, thanks for that mate. Duly noted
Old 28 May 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3645251)   #29
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Hope Palmer and De La Torre are ok. Sounds like a nasty incident
Old 28 May 2016, 21:28 (Ref:3645255)   #30
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
It's state law in CT that the local or state police are allowed to investigate any accident that results in a driver going to a hospital outside of the track's facilities, even if it's just for observation or a check up.

I don't wanna speculate, but just the fact that both drivers went to the trauma center at a hospital in Hartford means that their injuries are at least fairly serious or every precaution is being taken to get them the medical care that they need ASAP.
A few things.... the fact that the car was extensively tarped makes me concerned to begin with.

On a side note, they were both transported to a local facility, and then sent, both, via air to a trauma center. A local ED, such as the closest one, will be able to evaluate and determine based upon their findings if they can hold on to the patient and release them, or if they need to be transferred.

In this case, it must have been obvious they both needed to be sent to a tertiary care facility, often, if the patient is injured, but, at low risk for decompensation they will be sent via ground service. If they need expedient care, or there is risk for an overall decline in clinical state, they will be flown.

It's rare that a patient, such as these, who are seen by a number of providers will still be flown if at low, or no risk of clinical deterioration.

While I also won't speculate on their condition, the fact that we've heard nothing, from anyone, isn't reassuring.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 28 May 2016, 21:45 (Ref:3645266)   #31
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Believe me, and I don't want to sound callous or cynical, but if one of them passed away, we probably would've heard by now just based on racing fatalities that happened on live TV, such as Greg Moore, Dale Earnhardt, and Allen Simonsen.

When a fatality happens, it usually doesn't take this long for word to leak. Hence, I hope that the lack of a mention means that they at least have a fighting chance of making it out alive or doctors are seriously busting their balls trying to save them. Or that their press people are waiting for them to stabilize before releasing an official statement.

However, the fact that Palmer's car was found among the trees is worrying. Sadly in the case of car vs tree, the car almost always looses, often with serious consequences for the driver.
Old 28 May 2016, 21:57 (Ref:3645274)   #32
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really hoping Andrew Palmer and Jorge De La Torre will be okay. Hope we hear good news soon.

The races & live stream today were pretty good, but obviously that's not important.
Old 28 May 2016, 21:59 (Ref:3645275)   #33
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Believe me, and I don't want to sound callous or cynical, but if one of them passed away, we probably would've heard by now just based on racing fatalities that happened on live TV, such as Greg Moore, Dale Earnhardt, and Allen Simonsen.

When a fatality happens, it usually doesn't take this long for word to leak. Hence, I hope that the lack of a mention means that they at least have a fighting chance of making it out alive or doctors are seriously busting their balls trying to save them. Or that their press people are waiting for them to stabilize before releasing an official statement.

However, the fact that Palmer's car was found among the trees is worrying. Sadly in the case of car vs tree, the car almost always looses, often with serious consequences for the driver.
I agree, which, leads me to think they are in a position that may be tenable for the current time. It just depends on how things go forward. On the outside of 1 at LRP is marsh and trees. It's impossible to say how things went after the initial impact.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 28 May 2016, 22:24 (Ref:3645288)   #34
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If Palmer's Bentley collected a tree, that's not a good sign. In that situation, the immovable object usually wins.

But since both have been transferred to a trauma center, that says to me that the initial impact was also particularly harsh. It probably resulted in a transfer of energy with the effects of severe blunt force trauma.

I'd sort of like to see photos of the cars after the accident and what the reports of the accident say when they get released. It's like a question of what moved, what didn't, and what can be improved.

Racing is an inherently hazardous profession, but in road racing the past few years, there's been some really nasty accidents involving prototypes where drivers have walked away without serious injury, while in GT it's been a mixed bag from no injuries, to some serious injuries, to even a couple of fatalities.

What happened today was a very unusual accident where the one car struck another with enough force to ramp over it and clear a barrier. But I do question if there might be better ways of introducing crush zones/crumple zones into the cars to absorb/dissipate energy better.
Old 28 May 2016, 22:39 (Ref:3645303)   #35
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really hard to enjoy the racing today after this mornings accident.
The competition was really very good in the GT race, with the GTcup traffic management being key. TC and GTS both put on a good show also.
Most importantly though like everybody else, my thoughts and prayers are for Andrew Palmer, Jorge De La Torre and their families.
Old 28 May 2016, 22:41 (Ref:3645305)   #36
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andrew Palmer to spend night in hospital with undisclosed head injury. No word on Jorg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 May 2016, 22:43 (Ref:3645306)   #37
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...ew-palmer.html

Old 28 May 2016, 22:50 (Ref:3645310)   #38
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Head injury.

Rather vague, and, rather worrisome. This likely isn't a simple concussion.
Old 28 May 2016, 22:57 (Ref:3645313)   #39
Bcarr6
Veteran

It said he has had 'treatment' which would possibly suggest surgery.

Fingers crossed it's more precautionary

Old 28 May 2016, 23:10 (Ref:3645320)   #40
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
the fact that the car was extensively tarped makes me concerned to begin with.
It has been has noted elsewhere that a GTS car was tarped similarly a couple rounds back even though no one was hurt.

The tarps are for keeping any bits barely hanging onto the car from falling onto the track during transport, nothing more. The extent to which it's done is directly proportional to the amount of damage done to the car and indicates nothing about the injuries to the drivers.

So let's just try to relax and wait for updates instead of speculating on details that tell us nothing of note, okay?
Old 28 May 2016, 23:21 (Ref:3645325)   #41
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to John Dagys, a statement from PWC on the condition of both drivers is expected to follow later tonight.
Old 28 May 2016, 23:23 (Ref:3645326)   #42
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I've also seen tarps put up in incidents that didn't necessarily result in serious injury, but when track workers had to cut a driver out of his car. Of course, then the cars are tarped up, probably to keep stuff from falling out of them when they're placed on the wrecker.

Indy Car used to put tarps on the underside of the cars to keep more fluids from leaking out of them.

I know that it's not necessarily a sign that a driver is badly injured, but it's still an unsettling sign, especially after a huge accident.

Also, the fact that they said head injury as opposed to a concussion isn't the greatest of things, either. It could mean anything from a concussion, to cosmetic injuries (broken nose, broken jaw, lacerations, etc), to brain trauma. Though the fact that Bentley released some info does at least hint hopefully that Palmer's condition is stable.

Still no word on the other driver involved, which could be good or bad at this stage until we get more info.
Old 28 May 2016, 23:58 (Ref:3645330)   #43
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here's hoping for positive news on the drivers. My thoughts are with them and their families and friends at this difficult time.
Old 29 May 2016, 00:02 (Ref:3645332)   #44
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speculating at this point to me is a Waste of time .Lets wait for the FACTS to come out and then analise what could be done moving forward to prevent these type of injuries .

Not sure yet WHAT caused the incident Mechanical Malfunction ? I have not been to Lime R ock in a few years If it happened at the end of the front straight turn 1 the speed should have been greatly reduced .Why was the AM parked in the runoff ?
Old 29 May 2016, 01:03 (Ref:3645335)   #45
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
They were tarped and brought into the Skip Barber garage in the B Paddock for investigation...when we left after the final race they had yet to be released from inside those garages.

The Bentley didn't impact a tree based on what I was told by a photographer friend of mine who was shooting from the area. It left the track at full speed into T1 from a mechanical failure of some sort, Palmer impacted the barrier on drivers right trying to scrub speed off, following that the two cars both impacted each other on drivers side(Palmer's right side striking DLT's left), which launched the Bentley over the tire and concrete barriers into the woods, where it landed, and it pushed DLT's car into the tires at the end of the runoff area.

He didn't get any pictures of the accident, and he said the sound the whole wreck made was otherworldly.
Old 29 May 2016, 01:35 (Ref:3645340)   #46
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
My photos from yesterday...it was just too damn hot today to do anything outside of hydrate and find shade.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/984521...57668983935045
Old 29 May 2016, 03:25 (Ref:3645351)   #47
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aston Martin has released an update on Jorge De La Torre.

Quote:
Aston Martin Racing ‏@AMR_Official 8m8 minutes ago Germany Our thoughts are with Jorge, Andrew and the @BentleyRacing team.
Old 29 May 2016, 03:34 (Ref:3645352)   #48
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The AM release really does not tell us too much
Old 29 May 2016, 03:35 (Ref:3645354)   #49
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
These are good signs that statements have been made officially about both drivers and injuries have been specifically mentioned. Let's hope for a quick and full recovery for both of them.
Old 29 May 2016, 05:18 (Ref:3645372)   #50
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
PWC are saying that both will be kept at least overnight for observation.

Considering that they're at a trauma center, I think that they might be in there quite a bit longer. But at least both are in stable condition and their injuries aren't life threatening right now.