Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Jan 2018, 01:12 (Ref:3792583)   #101
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
No, that's the smartest thing said here so far

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
I so want to let loose a stream vulgarities and I only came here to get away from texts from idiot friends criticizing Matt Ryan. If I was at Sebring I would be setting some **** on fire. Lol.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 01:13 (Ref:3792585)   #102
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Dan Quinn is gene chizik, Kyle shanahan is Gus malzahn and Finkel is einhorn. Screw this.
Quote:
No, that's the smartest thing said here so far

High quality, indeed.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 01:18 (Ref:3792588)   #103
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I so want to let loose a stream vulgarities and I only came here to get away from texts from idiot friends criticizing Matt Ryan. If I was at Sebring I would be setting some **** on fire. Lol.
If jhamilton has the pictures, you can see the aftermath of a Sebring **** fire and melted portalets

Old 14 Jan 2018, 01:27 (Ref:3792589)   #104
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Quote:
If jhamilton has the pictures, you can see the aftermath of a Sebring **** fire and melted portalets

Old 14 Jan 2018, 01:33 (Ref:3792593)   #105
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
SOMEONE PHOTOSHOP DAN QUINN IN THAT SECOND PICK!
Old 14 Jan 2018, 06:28 (Ref:3792618)   #106
Kartracer88f
Rookie

Kartracer88f should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have coached and race in various IMSA series for a long time. Probably not hard to figure out who I am, but I prefer not to totally dox myself. Hedlund knows me for sure (though maybe not the screen name)
Old 15 Jan 2018, 19:58 (Ref:3792974)   #107
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I go away for several months and the first page of the first thread I open, Formula Fox is arguing some questionable theory and telling pro racers they don't know their business. I guess I came back too soon.

(J/k, Mr. Fox ... we have had some interesting discussions ... but i guess just as leopards don't change their spots .... )

#SomeThingsDontChange
Mr. Fox knew more about teams I was actually on yet he never was on the team or received pay. In the end, he's a poser and will just keep making things up. Maybe one day we will find out who he is but I doubt it.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3792979)   #108
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I'm worried for the future of GTD if IMSA does not get their BoP right. I feel a couple of Mercedes AMG teams off the shores of North America were scared off by how hard their car in particular seems to be hit by the sanctioning body. This is the most 'bad a$$' GT car on the planet. We should have 6 of them running around in the series full time this year not 2.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 21:21 (Ref:3792993)   #109
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Just like how the Audi R8s have almost always been among the slowest GTDs in the speed traps? I've seen many a race (not just IMSA) where the R8 was the faster car but couldn't pass because it was so down on top speed.

Mind you, BOP is never going to be 100% correct because of the human factor and different tracks will always suit different cars.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3792995)   #110
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
BoP is made to balance the cars into a lap time, nothing more. Not all cars get their lap time the same way.

-mike
Old 15 Jan 2018, 23:28 (Ref:3793010)   #111
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
All we have to remember is DP vs LMP2 the first couple of years of WTSC to remember the dangers of BOP to a laptime rather than how that time is obtained.

Of further back, how about the Audi R10s vs LMP2s at several tracks in the ALMS. Similar laptimes, but an LMP2 overtaking an R10 was virtually impossible because it was top speed vs cornering speed, and it's easier to pass down a straight than in a corner.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 23:34 (Ref:3793012)   #112
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
BoP is made to balance the cars into a lap time, nothing more. Not all cars get their lap time the same way.

-mike
Yeah, exactly what he says. Speed traps don't mean much either for the lowest class on track, they don't move the gun for each class.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3793129)   #113
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turner Motorsport lands Liqui Moly sponsorship for 2018. Good to see LM finally commit, I know they've been dancing around the idea for a while.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...-for-2018.html

Last edited by WolfsburgRS; 16 Jan 2018 at 16:48.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3793165)   #114
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I usually associate Liqui Molly with Bathurst. Always will. Now we'll think about it all year. Great pickup sponsor for Turner. I think IMSA mandates too much green on these GTD cars. Just a green number is fine. Let them color the mirrors and wing plates how they want.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 23:40 (Ref:3793214)   #115
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Mr. Fox knew more about teams I was actually on yet he never was on the team or received pay.
I've never claimed to "know" anything more than anyone else, save for that program I was involved in that collapsed due to a certain event in the Middle East.

I have only ever pointed out what people I know are on the inside tell me, and even then I acknowledge that they can be deliberately misleading out of necessity (I was once even been knowingly complicit in such deception in order to protect the job of someone who leaked information).

In the end, as I've said, I'm looking to learn at all times. Best way to do that? Present what I've got, and build off of it with information presented by other people.

But I can't accept that information from just anyone, and I can't always assume what I'm being told is the truth. Everyone in the motorsport industry has reason to lie or otherwise mislead at some point in time, after all, and some more often than others.

Quote:
In the end, he's a poser and will just keep making things up.
I might have been bothered by this if you weren't guilty of the allegation you have directed at me; You are very much among those who claim I've said things I never did. The frequency with which alleged insiders hate on me for things I've never said rather than attacking my information is the primary reason that I am the way I am.

(that's not to say the information I actually present is never refuted, it's just not taken on directly anywhere near as often as one would expect if it was always wrong)

But I think that's enough of a sidetrack, so say your peace if you wish and move on. If you have more to say(and the mods don't stop you from posting it) I'm not going to be replying to it - I'm going to try to stick to the topic at hand from here on.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 16 Jan 2018 at 23:54.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3793585)   #116
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Speaking of GTD...

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ma...acked-entries/
Old 18 Jan 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3793615)   #117
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
It's like he read this thread!
Old 19 Jan 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3793838)   #118
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It's like he read this thread!
Old 19 Jan 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3793850)   #119
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
I was thinking about one of the comments on that thread suggesting that Christina Nielson is somehow a 'sneaky silver' because of being the first of Porsche's 'Selected driver' program. Porsche says this is a training program, with driver instruction, fitness tests, etc. I would disagree that she's a pro-level silver. To my eye, this Porsche Selected Driver program is less a factory endorsement and more a way to attract more 'gentleman' drivers. They can offer a new level of Porsche-branded motorsport services and driver training, and it just may help to keep those driver's loyal to, as well as increase sales of, their customer GT cars. It's also a feather in the cap of said driver if they can add this to their resume, whether it's for ego only or for someone looking to build a resume and transition to paid rides.

The 991 GT3R has not been the weapon of choice for a lot of pay drivers, and this program could presumably help with that.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 20:10 (Ref:3793862)   #120
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The funny thing is if that guy from BMW would have come here and told you the same thing, everyone would have jumped all over his case and got into some technical talk about GTLM and GT3, then into aero then into whatever else with the car.

What everyone needs to understand is what is going on has been going on for years. It's that sanctioning bodies have hung out a sign telling new teams to join because everything is going to be level, easy and cheap because this new formula will fix the problem. As we see it does not.

Let's look at Speed King Racing. SKR has been running a pair of Porsches in GT3 for a few seasons and everyone assumes they are sort of like the sort of factory team. In reality they are not. Just spend money in GT3 and do what the sanctioning body told him in the previous paragraph. So, Acme Motors has a new GT3 car and for this past season, they sent a guy to look and see which teams spend a boatload of money.

When 2017 comes to an end, Acme calls SKR and gives them this proposition. It's two new Acme GT3's for $400K. With those new Acmes, comes a massive container of spares free of charge. To take the deal, SKR will have to hire Joe Tanto Jr as he's part of the Acme driver development program and he also did all of the test driving on the GT3 model. Joe Tanto Jr. is paid by Acme but for him to not be a paid factory driver, he has a company called Driven, LLC. That's where the money goes to. SKR pays him $100/race for his services. For all anyone knows, Joe Tanto Jr is just a regular guy that is fast. Plus, Joe runs with that pro guy you paid in 2017, as for SKR team owner, you get that other pro and drive with him. That way it looks like crazy old white guy is just blowing his retirement.

Then SKR will need to hire Hans Gruber. Hans is some German guy that knows lots about the Acme GT3. Hans has a company called Die Hard LLC. That's where you, (SKR team owner) pays that $100/race consulting fee. In reality, Hans actually works for Acme but this is his "side" job.

Then there will be lots of testing and that's possible because of the money saved due to that container of free spares. Plus, even though the ACME engine is rated for 40 hours, you will need to send it in every 20hrs for "warranty" work. Plus, Hans takes the shocks every race and brings them back with 5 other pairs. Hans is so nice, he just rebuilds and gives you shocks for free. Hans and Joe never wear an Acme shirt, only SKR. That way, they are not factory.

There you go. GT3 and the chance of success is much better. As we all know it's not guaranteed because probably 3 other manufacturers are doing the same thing. As for GT4, it's already going on and soon enough TCR will be right in there.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3793868)   #121
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From Twitter (and another forum member)

https://twitter.com/mike_hedlund/sta...00310507716608
Old 19 Jan 2018, 21:17 (Ref:3793869)   #122
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Let's look at Speed King Racing. SKR has been running a pair of Porsches in GT3 for a few seasons and everyone assumes they are sort of like the sort of factory team. In reality they are not. Just spend money in GT3 and do what the sanctioning body told him in the previous paragraph. So, Acme Motors has a new GT3 car and for this past season, they sent a guy to look and see which teams spend a boatload of money.

When 2017 comes to an end, Acme calls SKR and gives them this proposition. It's two new Acme GT3's for $400K. With those new Acmes, comes a massive container of spares free of charge. To take the deal, SKR will have to hire Joe Tanto Jr as he's part of the Acme driver development program and he also did all of the test driving on the GT3 model. Joe Tanto Jr. is paid by Acme but for him to not be a paid factory driver, he has a company called Driven, LLC. That's where the money goes to. SKR pays him $100/race for his services. For all anyone knows, Joe Tanto Jr is just a regular guy that is fast. Plus, Joe runs with that pro guy you paid in 2017, as for SKR team owner, you get that other pro and drive with him. That way it looks like crazy old white guy is just blowing his retirement.

Then SKR will need to hire Hans Gruber. Hans is some German guy that knows lots about the Acme GT3. Hans has a company called Die Hard LLC. That's where you, (SKR team owner) pays that $100/race consulting fee. In reality, Hans actually works for Acme but this is his "side" job.

Then there will be lots of testing and that's possible because of the money saved due to that container of free spares. Plus, even though the ACME engine is rated for 40 hours, you will need to send it in every 20hrs for "warranty" work. Plus, Hans takes the shocks every race and brings them back with 5 other pairs. Hans is so nice, he just rebuilds and gives you shocks for free. Hans and Joe never wear an Acme shirt, only SKR. That way, they are not factory.
Perfect.

-mike
Old 19 Jan 2018, 22:11 (Ref:3793876)   #123
jjvincent
Racer

In 2018, Acme releases a cool video of the 2.0 in bare carbon. It looks so cool because bare carbon never gets old. This is the next version of the Acme that is set to go on sale in 2020 for the street. Acme really wants to go racing in 2019 with the 2.0 to use that as an R&D year. This way, when the 2.0 goes on sale in 2020, everyone will have a perfected and properly engineered GT3 car. That's just good business. With this, Acme needs some drivers that could be considered Platinum but if they are downgraded to Silver, that would make the Acme support and partnership with the sanction body seamless with no interruption.

The Acme 2.0 does it's year under this special rule for a factory team in 2019. Come 2020, the 2.0 is released to the general racing public. Problem is, nobody buys the 2.0. Only option is to have the 2019 team keep running but they will now be designated as non factory and thus everything is perfect.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 07:47 (Ref:3793933)   #124
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
From Twitter (and another forum member)

https://twitter.com/mike_hedlund/sta...00310507716608
OTOH there's this from Bimmerworld's James Clay, who claims that at least GT4 has brought a serious cost reduction for GS.
Quote:
We’ve been in GS before for one year in 2011, but the budget just got out of control very quickly,” Clay told Sportscar365.

“I think everyone in the field realized that and suddenly we went from ten BMWs to two or three BMWs.

“But with the new GT4 platform, both the development costs are controlled and the development cap as far as what we can spend.

“When I look at our ST program specifically, I have a development program that spends two to three hundred thousand dollars a year on driveline, and it doesn’t make a lot of sense when I can spend less money on a GS car.
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/c...tep-in-racing/

I think I've read similar statements from Compass360's Karl Thomson (maybe even on this forum?) as well, so it doesn't seem like Clay doesn't know what he's talking about.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A320FL mit Tapatalk
Old 20 Jan 2018, 12:38 (Ref:3793976)   #125
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
OTOH there's this from Bimmerworld's James Clay, who claims that at least GT4 has brought a serious cost reduction for GS.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/c...tep-in-racing/

I think I've read similar statements from Compass360's Karl Thomson (maybe even on this forum?) as well, so it doesn't seem like Clay doesn't know what he's talking about.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A320FL mit Tapatalk
That is good to hear that the lower classes are still costing less. I was wondering how GS costs compared to GT4.