Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1562645)   #1
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can Button Compete with the Likes of Kimi And Alonso

As great a driver button is, does he really have the power in the honda to keep up with the renaults and the mclarens...

As great as a job he did in malysia is it enough. To keep him in the running for the championship...
Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1562654)   #2
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that I think what is keeping JB from beating these guys is the equipment he is working with. I am a big Honda fan but its reality. The car does not make enough downforce. In-turn they have to run more downforce than normal. In qualifying its not that detrimental but when trying to overtake in the races its more difficult. The motor is also not the most powerful on the grid. Its suspected that Mac and Cosworth both have more power.

That said the car is obviously a very good base. For JB to be disadvantaged and still be competitive says a lot about JB's skills and the car. Once their new wind tunnel is fully functional I expect to see a leap forward.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1562676)   #3
Driver
Racer

Australia
Bundaberg, Queensland
Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RB was interviewed on the weekend at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide as he was there to support his mate Max Wilson. He made an interesting comment that the Honda is suited to JB's driving style and JB can drive around the cars problems and he has to change the way he drives.

He is having trouble with the cars driveabilty and the Ferrari while not perfect, was a lot easier to drive.

The interview was on channel 10 Saturday.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1562682)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Button can be WDC in the right car. He may not have the ultimate ability to push a good car finish far higher than it's supposed to (ie Senna, Schumacher), but Button has showed that he has an immense ability and not far off from the leading drivers of his generation (Kimi and Alonso).

I think this year and last had shown Button's ability to race sensibly and consistantly with his car. He has also shown a reasonable ability to race wheel to wheel with others, and overtake... although he still occasionally makes small errors under pressure. His pace generally is good too, so all in all, Button is very much near those top guys, and all he need is a slight car advantage over the others, and JB will get the job done.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1562697)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too think that Button can challenge for the title if he has the right car, whether or not that car will be a Honda though remains to be seen. I think Button will stay with Honda, how long for nobody knows. Beyond 2007 I cant see him staying with the team, unless of course they give him a car that is capable of winning the WDC. At the moment he has a car that is a potential race winner and consistant podium finisher, nothing more. IMO.

Who knows, maybe we could see Jenson at Renault or Ferrari in a couple of years from now. If that happens and he gets a truly competitve car beneath him then Im sure he is capable of race wins, and perhaps a WDC.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1562747)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My personal feeling is that he can't, not on a consistant basis. However, it is hard to tell as he has never had a car capable of winning races. He has fared well against every team-mate except Fisichella, and Giancarlo has fared well against everyone except Alonso. Those two seasons were under circumstances which are not neccessarily true anymore - Jenson was affected by becomign a celebrity and a hero before he'd achieved anything concrete, and he also struggled with the uncompetitive nature of the 2001 Benetton.

The way it looks after 2 races, the Honda seems about even with McLaren, Ferrari and Williams, with only Renault really faster, so the odd win MAY be possible this year.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1562814)   #7
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he can, again if he is in the right equipment. One has to remember he has never been in a winning car before. His team mates (apart from Sato); R. Schumacher, Fisichella, Trulli, Villeneuve and Barrichello have all been winners when their in good cars. But you have to remember that when they have been Button's team mates, and in the same car as him, none of them have won. If he had a winning car, he could easily challenge the likes of Alonso and Kimi, as he is one of the finest F1 drivers on the grid.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1562855)   #8
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver
RB was interviewed on the weekend at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide as he was there to support his mate Max Wilson. He made an interesting comment that the Honda is suited to JB's driving style and JB can drive around the cars problems and he has to change the way he drives.

He is having trouble with the cars driveabilty and the Ferrari while not perfect, was a lot easier to drive.

That's problem with Honda, relying to much on JB on the characteristics of the car. Since they've been able to get RB onboard, they should have acted based on his feedbacks as RB has the experience and had won races before. Honda won't go anywhere if they kept on building cars based on JB feedbacks.

JB is no WDC material just yet and he is an overpaid driver
Old 28 Mar 2006, 00:16 (Ref:1562870)   #9
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Honda won't go anywhere if they kept on building cars based on JB feedbacks.
What an uninformed statement. Just remember that up to this present time, Jenson has achiveved FAR, FAR more in his F1 career than Barrichelo had at the same stage in his career. I'm not sure Honda would totally agree on your statements...

Thay are not just going to act on RB's feedbacks simply because he has won races before (which is not necessarily the best measurement of a drivers's ability). As Driver said, the Ferrari was a lot easier to drive. Barrichello has had the privelage of driving the best car in F1 in his career for at least 4 years, and he didn't even come close to matching his team mate.

If Jenson was not at Honda when David Richards took over, I am not sure that they would be where they are now if it wasn't for him.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 01:20 (Ref:1562901)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver

Oh yeah, he's been saying this all around and the excitement is vanishing faster than the laps he's doing...
Old 28 Mar 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1563147)   #11
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jenson has suffered badly from a lack of settlement in his career, generated not only by himself; during the well-documented Williams-Gate epics, but also; the original pilot version if you will; whereby Sir Frank was the bad guy with the whole Montoya situation.

What ever happened to going back in 2003?

On that basis; i'd say that the only seasons thus far Jenson has had some clarity on his immediate future at best; were 2001 and 2003, and I believe, Jenson's on track exploits have suffered as a consequence.

We know he is a good driver, his record pre-F1, and certain F1 outings, concrete that claim. As yet, in reality he has not yet had the winning package; and he probably doesn't have the same level of complete talent; combined attributes, that perhaps Alonso, Raikkonen and the almighty German in the Scarlet cars have.

As many have said then I offer in way of conclusion, he can be WDC in the right package. BUT. He really needs a win.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1563261)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Whether he has the outright speed of a Raikkonen or Alonso remains to be seen.

Like many fans, I look forward the day when Jenson climbs into a winning machine, but unfortunately, it looks like the Honda is slightly off the pace in 2006.

I predict that Jenson will be a regular visitor to the podium this year and that he may even score that coveted maiden victory but I don't think he has the package to give Kimi & Fernando a run for their money in the Championship race.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1563324)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap
I have to say that I think what is keeping JB from beating these guys is the equipment he is working with.
I sort of agree with this, in that he needs a better car to beat them. IMHO ultimately they are both better than he is.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1563445)   #14
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given the right car anybody can be World Champion, there's plenty of examples of that, but taking the title with a less than perfect car is the mark of a 'true' champion.
So if JB is the real deal he will show us what he can do with a Honda, perfect or not.
I wonder if this discussion would take place in, say, France or Spain?
No! JB's a Brit thus all the fuss.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1563450)   #15
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I sort of agree with this, in that he needs a better car to beat them. IMHO ultimately they are both better than he is.
For my sake I hope this is not true. I wanna see Honda on the top step. I dont really car who drives. However, if right now we are behind and we need to be ahead then things are bleak.

On the other hand, I have always felt the car makes the man so Alonso would not look so impressive in a Honda either. I dont think he would have done any better.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1563501)   #16
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Honda is not quite there yet but they are very close. One thing is certain in my mind: When he gets the chance to race with Kimi and FA and others, Jenson must not let these guys intimidate him on the track, like Michael has in the past. JB seems more determined than ever this year and quite aggressive lately; he must reinforce that he will not be bullied.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1563556)   #17
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree Kirk. Senna, Schumacher, Prost, Villeneuve, Mansell and many more winners all would occasionally wreck a car in an attempt not to get passed. They just seemed to race a little "harder" than everyone else. I'm not saying that Button should randomly destroy machinery, but a clean, well placed wheel-bump here and there may help his cause. Make the car a little wider ... dive up the inside a little more bonsai-like. He just needs more killer instinct.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1563558)   #18
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's a good driver for sure, who's earned his place in F1. Given a good enough car, he'd probably win a few races.

However, I don't think he's WDC material. I personally don't think he's up there with Kimi and Fernando.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1564270)   #19
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he's that good so as to beat them.
Old 29 Mar 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1564355)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
agree Kirk. Senna, Schumacher, Prost, Villeneuve, Mansell and many more winners all would occasionally wreck a car in an attempt not to get passed
I don't know why Alain Prost has made that list. Like Jenson, he drove extremely smoothly and was always very mechanically sensitive. I'm struggling to recall a time when Prost drove raggedly.

As for Gilles Villeneuve, he was a little too much of a hard-charger, and his aggressive style and determination to chase victory (when many would have settled into a comfortable points-scoring position) arguably robbed him of the chance to become a World Champion. It did however cause many racing followers, including myself, to grow incredibly fond of him.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 08:32 (Ref:1564956)   #21
adz_34
Racer

Australia
Somewhere out there
adz_34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzF1rocks
As great a driver button is, does he really have the power in the honda to keep up with the renaults and the mclarens...

Honda F1 car $2,000,000
Jensons 5 year contract $90,000,000
False hope in above statement..............priceless

Old 30 Mar 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1565069)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Made up numbers can be used to prove anything.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1566035)   #23
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson is close to their level of ability, but perhaps slightly behind, although a car which needs to be driven smoothly might turn things in his favour.