Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2007, 11:46 (Ref:1922021)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ghosn: "Renault won't stick around if we can't compete".

It seems a while since we had the scare stories of Carlos Ghosn pulling the plug on Renault F1. When he took over, we were told of his apparent lack of interest in investing in Formula 1, questioning the returns, and that Renault would not stick around too long.

Luckily, this coincided with a very successful 2005 and 2006 for the team. A marketing dream.

Now, with Renault floundering a bit, the fears return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Ghosn
"If I am in a situation where we are number four or number five and we have no hope to do better, be part of the show or win again, then I say why are we participating?

"We are not going to be here to say 'me too, I am also in Formula One'. We don't want to do that. But ups and downs, we are used to it."
Which is fair enough, but this guy allegedly will be less patient than, say, the bosses of Toyota. How quickly will Renault get back to the front, if ever? Maybe they don't have as much time as we would like to think...

Still, Carlos does not expect to win every year at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Ghosn
"I am very confident that the team are going to do a much better second half of the season than the first. And again we want to continue to be part of the show at the best level.

"We are here to win. To perform. But I cannot reasonably ask (team boss) Flavio (Briatore) to win every year. I am asking him but at the same time, I cannot expect that every single year the team is going to be number one.

"But you have to be always part of the show. You have to be always part of the two or three teams that can make it for the year. That is very important."
They are pretty fair comments, but with what we know of this guy and Renault looking like they may need a while to recover (can anyone imagine them getting back to Ferrari and McLaren's level soon?) it could be back to supplying engines again. Which seems at odds with their recent commitment to Formula 1 up to 2012...

Doesn't sound all that brilliant to me. Let's hope Renault bounce back within two years.

Quotes frrom: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59200
Old 27 May 2007, 11:53 (Ref:1922027)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Aren't the teams constrained to be in F1 if they have signed the concorde agreement?
Old 27 May 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1922055)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's part of the show... pushing the team.
Old 27 May 2007, 13:27 (Ref:1922089)   #4
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Aren't the teams constrained to be in F1 if they have signed the concorde agreement?
I think that's covered so long as the team is sold, rather than disbanded.
Old 27 May 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1922119)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I thought Martin Brundle mentioned during the race that Renault had now committed to F1?
Old 27 May 2007, 15:07 (Ref:1922164)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I didn't hear that, but i'm pretty sure they're signed up until at least 2009 anyway?
Old 27 May 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1922167)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Ooh, quelle surprise, a cost-cutter at a manufacturer wants to give up on a motorsport series where they're not winning. Never heard that before.
Old 27 May 2007, 15:47 (Ref:1922200)   #8
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Means alot when someone who is arguably the best car company boss says that. Hope Max and Bernie listen.
Old 27 May 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1922229)   #9
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ghosn's comments are fair enough in a sense, but seem a little pointless, comming off the back of 2 spotless years. Yes they have had an average at best start to 2007, but Fisichella did well today, they seem to have the right guys behind the scenes, and with another Alonso type driver to lead them, i can see them being right back in it soon enough

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 27 May 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1922282)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think they'll be back. If they can't say F1 Champions 2005 2006 at the end, what will be the redeeming quality to their terrible TV ads (did you see the one with the piano player and the bikini clad girls on bicycles??)
Old 27 May 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1922315)   #11
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should try harder to win then! Maybe they are unhappy that they will no longer be able to sign off their ads with a car running across the screen, followed by 'Renault - World Champions'.

In any case, I think they will be back. They did lose several key team members in the close season, and they have suffered more than most from the departure of Michelin.
Old 28 May 2007, 03:29 (Ref:1922503)   #12
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I thought Martin Brundle mentioned during the race that Renault had now committed to F1?
yeah, i heard that too!
Old 28 May 2007, 09:41 (Ref:1922613)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Renault seem to realise that bottoms are a better advertising technique than F1 cars.

The most damning fact is that Renault car sales dropped in 2005 in SPAIN of all places. Either they're right about F1 having little effect on car sales, or their marketing men don't know how to exploit it. If 2008 doesn't see them at least third overall, maybe they'd spend less on 2009 and consider selling the team after that?
Old 28 May 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1922650)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Renault seem to realise that bottoms are a better advertising technique than F1 cars.

The most damning fact is that Renault car sales dropped in 2005 in SPAIN of all places. Either they're right about F1 having little effect on car sales, or their marketing men don't know how to exploit it. If 2008 doesn't see them at least third overall, maybe they'd spend less on 2009 and consider selling the team after that?
Yep.

Maybe if Renault actually designed some cars that looked reasonably attractive, and didn't suffer from water leaks and suspension problems, then maybe they would sell more.
Old 28 May 2007, 10:30 (Ref:1922651)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 cars have no effect on car sales. Toyota are now the number brand globally yet their F1 operation is a shambles at best.

I don't think Renault will pull out of F1 in the near future, but since Ghosn isn't the biggest fan and is cycnical of the returns F1 brings, if Renault are not winning at least every now and then, he'll pull the plug. He talkes a lot of sense.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:20 (Ref:1922776)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
F1 cars have no effect on car sales. Toyota are now the number brand globally yet their F1 operation is a shambles at best.

I don't think Renault will pull out of F1 in the near future, but since Ghosn isn't the biggest fan and is cycnical of the returns F1 brings, if Renault are not winning at least every now and then, he'll pull the plug. He talkes a lot of sense.
I agree with you there, F1 doesn't much affect car sales, at least to put some pressure in how successful they must be. Renault has made a lot of ads about F1 and its relation with their cars, so maybe Carlos is thinking it would be embarassing to keep this line of promotion rather than quit F1...

Last edited by Bononi; 28 May 2007 at 12:33.