Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2000, 18:05 (Ref:1826)   #1
Canberra
Rookie

Canberra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've come up with this brilliant new idea. If you want to make the F1 championship more exciting and open, you don't need to bother with any of the tyres, aerodynamics or wings rubbish, just get rid of Mika and Michael. I see this as the only feasible solution, and you can't just chuck one of them, they need to both go at the same time!!
Of course this would never happen, coz Bernie knows which side his bread's buttered and his global audience may possibly be reduced slightly. ( I can't be sure, but I've got a sneaky suspicion I might be right!!)
Thank you for your time

[This message has been edited by Canberra (edited 26 May 2000).]
Old 26 May 2000, 19:08 (Ref:1827)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Imagine looking forward to watching Frentzen, Coulthard, Ralf, Trulli, and Fisichella all vying for the next weekend's Monaco GP honors. Definitely sounds a little more appetizing than our current crop.
Old 26 May 2000, 23:46 (Ref:1832)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a reverse order grid? The last shall be first away and see how many laps it takes for everyone to end up either in the gravel or back in their usual positions?
Old 27 May 2000, 02:32 (Ref:1828)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read this header and thought to myself "Who in the heck is Chuck Haakinen?"

Is that, like, Mika's evil twin?

Old 27 May 2000, 07:49 (Ref:1829)   #5
Dannyboy
Rookie

Dannyboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you guys know that the drivers have very little to do with the success of an F-1 team. Okay Shumie has some spectacular moves but he can't pass a competitive car. If you took Michael and Mika out David and Rubens would be fighting for the win. Same teams, different drivers.
Old 27 May 2000, 10:19 (Ref:1830)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tourist and I have often mused about just getting rid of the McLarens and Ferraris full stop. Now THAT would be great stuff to watch.

VERSTAPPEN TO WIN AT MONACO, GENE AND MAZZACANE 2ND AND 3RD...

(ACTUALLY, CAN GENE WIN IT PLEASE?)
Old 27 May 2000, 10:36 (Ref:1831)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Make Gené win by just getting rid of more competitive cars (ie the rest of the grid)? Where's the point in that? Ferrari and Mac are the best cars, they're the bench mark. If the other teams can't keep up it's their problem, I'm afraid, not the front runners.
Old 27 May 2000, 18:04 (Ref:1833)   #8
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz, I would dearly love to see a reverse grid, but I suspect qualifying would be a bit of a farce. The regular top ten would not necessarily be at the back! It would take them about 0.002secs to deduce that if they don't try too hard, they'll be nearer the front.

But it could work. How about half the points for qualifying, and the other half for the race? Now that would work, wouldn't it?! Two races in one. A bit like sprint and feature races, only the position in the first race detirmines the inverse grid position in the second.

Where do I sign??

[This message has been edited by Sparky (edited 27 May 2000).]
Old 27 May 2000, 22:33 (Ref:1834)   #9
Liz
Veteran

I LIKE IT! That would also get a much bigger gate for the Saturday, which should make Bernie (You are out there, Bernie, I can hear you breathing) very happy too.

Old 27 May 2000, 22:33 (Ref:1835)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is a nice idea ! But I think the top teams would "slow" the cars to get them in front of the grid... So it would be a funny scene... all times getting longer... who will be the slowest ! Just 10 minutes to go before the flag ! Here goes Mika, Schumacher, Barrichello and Coulthard at same time... would they make it ?
Old 27 May 2000, 22:59 (Ref:1836)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Sorry and thanx Liz ! I did not know there is a forum for games topics ! And it seens that I will find we folks, have the sames interests in playing games !
Old 29 May 2000, 09:44 (Ref:1837)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When TGF came along many thought it was refreshing to see a new face on top of the podium after such a long time with Senna, Prost and Mansell. This is bound to happen no matter who dominates, and the situation would be the same if for instance Frentzen and Fisichella would dominate for a few years. Then those two would be the ones many would like to see "replaced" on the podium.
Old 29 May 2000, 12:17 (Ref:1838)   #13
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, R.

As for the "reverse grid" suggestion and its pitfalls, here's mine:

Forget qualifying entirely. Base the grid positions on the results of the previous race.
Old 29 May 2000, 12:28 (Ref:1839)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, can you imagine the grid after the Monaco '96 GP?
Old 30 May 2000, 06:44 (Ref:1840)   #15
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or after last year's Nürburgring?
However, I like qualifying the way it is! A few years back, there was qualifying on both Friday and Saturday, with the best lap counting regardless of which day it was set. That led to some boring qualifying sessions on Saturday, if it rained and the track was slower. Then the only driver giving the spectators something to watch was Jean Alesi, he came out and did some laps regardless of weather.

If a change were to be made, maybe we could revert to qualifying on both Friday and Saturday, with the average of the best laps set on each day deciding the grid. Whether that would lead to more "interesting" grids and races, I don't know, but I honestly can't see how qualifying could be changed all that much and still keep it fair to the best drivers. (We don't want to see TGF and Mika starting from the last row every race, do we? That could be exciting, for sure, but certainly not fair sportingwise.)
Old 2 Jun 2000, 12:35 (Ref:1841)   #16
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
Green_man4421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same problem would come we would have a new micheal and Mika

Or would Coulthard Win Everything

Or Barrichello would do good cos he would get a good car?

Who knows?