Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Jul 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1648836)   #1
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trevor Cook (e)

Anyone recall this chap? My brother has had contact with him, apparently he raced a spec saloon Anglia in the Midlands in the 70s. My memory of these times is usually OK, but I can't remember him at all.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1650985)   #2
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi. iv posted a pic or two of the anglia i took at cadwell in the 1970s on the racing70s website. i think gerry "swish" taylor is the man to help!!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1669009)   #3
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trevor Cooke

Hi Dan (Hi Col) yes Trevor and I had a few dices especially at Silverstone. He had a garage at LENTON, Nottingham, he may well still be there, but certainly a Nottingham lad. The story about him telling his wife he was borrowing the car to go to work and racing it at Silverstone is exagerated......is'nt it?
Old 31 Jul 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1669288)   #4
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
My memory of these times is usually OK, but I can't remember him at all.
Don't worry Dan, that's just age.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1670767)   #5
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's in touch with my brother, and says he was on the front row of the grid for the '75 Silverstone GP Supersaloon support race... I've told my bro' to tell Mr C this is utter b------s ! Coincidentally I'm reading some 75 A/Sports, which confirm he was nowhere near the front of that grid, he wasn't mentioned at all in the report, so I'm not even sure he raced in it - though he was entered, in an Anglia Lotus it says.

Why do people lie like this ???
Old 2 Aug 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1671131)   #6
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They misremember. Like I misremember my goal-scoring exploits when I played football. Misremembering can become worse if you have a grandchild on your knee I guess.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2131629)   #7
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's called Senior (Wish) Moments!
Anyone that has a contact number for the old guy, please let me know.
Gerry.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2131715)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
He's in touch with my brother, and says he was on the front row of the grid for the '75 Silverstone GP Supersaloon support race... I've told my bro' to tell Mr C this is utter b------s ! Coincidentally I'm reading some 75 A/Sports, which confirm he was nowhere near the front of that grid, he wasn't mentioned at all in the report, so I'm not even sure he raced in it - though he was entered, in an Anglia Lotus it says.

Why do people lie like this ???
I've just got my old file out. Trevor was 29th out of 34 on the grid (I was 34th as I missed practice).
He was 13th in the race, 2 laps down on Gerry's Vauxhall Repco.

IIRC Trevor's Anglia was Green in colour and I seem to remember it destroying itself against the outer banking on the start/ finish straight at Rufforth not long after.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2131728)   #9
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't recall him either, but just to nudge this thread slightly off topic could anyone give me the grid for the Superloon support race at the British GP 75?
Old 18 Feb 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2131806)   #10
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy norm
I can't recall him either, but just to nudge this thread slightly off topic could anyone give me the grid for the Superloon support race at the British GP 75?
I can.
If you PM me your address I will send you a photocopy of the grid and result sheets.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2132028)   #11
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Peter

Do you have a lot of grid and results sheets? One day superloon racing needs to be properly documented and those sheets would be invaluable.

Allen
Old 18 Feb 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2132190)   #12
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
Peter

Do you have a lot of grid and results sheets? One day superloon racing needs to be properly documented and those sheets would be invaluable.

Allen
Allen
I have all the results sheets from when my brother and I first started racing in 1966 until we 'retired' in 1977. The early days are mostly Croft, Rufforth and Cadwell but by the early 70s we were venturing to Brands, Thruxton, Silverstone, etc. We did perhaps 4 or 5 of the Supersaloon races, but did quite a lot of Esso Uniflo type races where all the big names such as Gerry, Nick Whiting, Colin Hawker, Mick Hill, etc raced.
I will photocopy all the results and practice sheets on to better quality paper as the originals are getting a bit dog-eared now. I also have many photos of the era and will get my son to scan them so that they are more easily copied to others who may be interested. However, most of the photos are of my car though some are grid shots.
Peter