Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Feb 2009, 01:32 (Ref:2405046)   #1
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who will replace Holden in V8SC?

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...54-462,00.html
Old 27 Feb 2009, 02:02 (Ref:2405057)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it will not be "who will replace Holden?" but "Who will buy Holden from the General Motor accreditors?" TatA, Prodrive and Tom Walkinshaw come into mind.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 02:12 (Ref:2405061)   #3
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
I think it will not be "who will replace Holden?" but "Who will buy Holden from the General Motor accreditors?" TatA, Prodrive and Tom Walkinshaw come into mind.
Toyota is my guess.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 02:16 (Ref:2405065)   #4
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you might find that as part of the US Government bail-out, that the government has been given shares in GM in return for the cash. Along with so other t's & c's they have put on them.

I very much doubt that GM will go under, but parts of the body might be sold off to keep the head alive.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 02:27 (Ref:2405071)   #5
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chinese company perhaps ?

"We Australians like Football, dim sims, Panda bears & Holden cars "
Old 27 Feb 2009, 02:45 (Ref:2405077)   #6
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor

Prodrive are to busy hooked up with Ford for the v8taxi series
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 27 Feb 2009, 05:08 (Ref:2405106)   #7
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some how i dont think Walkinshaw would have the deniro's to buy Holden outright... It would probably be some cashed up Saudi Arabian or something similar, or maybe the guy that runs redbull... who knows, but not walkinshaw
Old 27 Feb 2009, 06:04 (Ref:2405123)   #8
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

can't see V8 supercars lasting past this year.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 06:28 (Ref:2405131)   #9
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey
can't see V8 supercars lasting past this year.
Same was said for NASCAR and this year, and they are still plodding along.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 06:40 (Ref:2405134)   #10
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBXR8
Same was said for NASCAR and this year, and they are still plodding along.
down here I think the corp $ will drop off.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 06:57 (Ref:2405142)   #11
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although GM are in trouble, why would they shed part of their business that's actually performing? If anything, I'd expect GM to cling to Holden tightly.
Holden are also rumoured to be building a new small car platform from 2010 onwards, aren't they?

A Holden withdrawal from V8SC would surprise me, as it's basically the lifeblood of their marketing image.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 07:28 (Ref:2405156)   #12
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n
Although GM are in trouble, why would they shed part of their business that's actually performing? If anything, I'd expect GM to cling to Holden tightly.
Holden are also rumoured to be building a new small car platform from 2010 onwards, aren't they?

A Holden withdrawal from V8SC would surprise me, as it's basically the lifeblood of their marketing image.
in times of trouble US companies will often pull out of countries were it is in profit example GE finance.Some bean counter back home will look at Australia and go ,sell it,close it down, its only a small % of our overall business.Hope I'm wrong but.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2405690)   #13
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n

Holdens contribution to the GM machine = less than 1% , so they don't really contribute much more than the company's postage fees - GM is probably in the mire for well over US$100bn , shares are now worthless as there are no longer any profits and their production and lack of sales no longer cover their interest bills and workers entitlements, there is nothing in the GM line up that the people want to buy , and even if there was the population now can't afford to buy new cars . The Government can't bail them out forever . GM have been trying to offload Saab and Hummer , with no success - TATA looked at Hummer and wouldn't take it over for free - Saab is now a white elephant - Terex is for sale , the mining industry is in bust mode and Terex has an oversupply of stock from cancelled orders (this from a friend who works at Terex) and their workforce has been cut by 40% over the past 2 years.
Pretty grim picture , Holden should be happy to be under control of a new owner .
Old 27 Feb 2009, 23:34 (Ref:2405759)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So if Holden becomes a subsidiary of Tata or someone similar, where will Holden get the next generation of V-series chassis from?

Given that the VB/C/H/K/L/S/T/X/Y/Z/E came with some significant grounding in an Opel model, suitably adapted for local engines, suspension and market conditions, and that Opel looks in worse shape that even GM USA....

... is..

.. the shape of Commodores to come??

More seriously,
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Mar 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2406456)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess it wont be SAAB Here

When is Holden's turn?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Mar 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2406474)   #16
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post

Mark Reeus on In Pit Lane this Tuesday reasserts his commitment to local motorsport but casts some doubt over the future of V8 Supercars.
He's called for a wider selection of cars and manufacturers and the ability to run cars like the new Cruze at the top level of local motorsport.
Old 1 Mar 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2406482)   #17
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I guess it wont be SAAB Here

When is Holden's turn?
Sad that it has turned into this , I think the Swedish Government is correct in not bailing out a private company (GM seems to expect the whole world to bail it out of a situation it put itself into) - I think the Yanks are starting to see that it is a bottomless barrel that they are trying to fill with their rescue plan .
VW looked at Saab , but it had been too "Opalised" by GM to make it worthwhile (was in Porsche documents) Opel/Vauxhall is close to being in the same boat as Saab as the Governments are not going to bail them out , VW bought Scannia and have made it a profitable concern . Probably find that in a few years to come the big three will be Toyota - Hyundai - VW , in no particular order.

Ford also have a problem with Volvo as it hasn't made a profit in yonks , and at this time who is going to buy a Auto maker which has had nothing but red ink for forever?

TATA wouldn't take Hummer off GMs hands for nix , their comment ït's a Dinosaur .

GM paid US$4.5bn to get their share of Fiat off their books -
with figures like these why on earth spend billions trying to keep a company afloat when they still haven't any real products that the population want to buy .
I have sampled there wares as rental cars , my wifes 03 Camry is a generation ahead of their 08 models , and the Camry is not that good!!
Old 1 Mar 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2406533)   #18
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fail to see how GM can come out of the end of this the same company they were at the beginning of this crisis.

I doubt they will totally shut shop world wide lock stock and barrel, but then again stranger things have happened, or will they be nationalist like the US banks will end up?

If that happens the US taxpayer will have zero interest in manufacturing vehicles in places like Oz or even somewhere as close as Canada for that matter.

That doesn't mean that GMH will close its doors, but it would be sold. To who, now that's a $64,000 question.

Now, getting back to the thread, would the hypothetical future buyer of GHM see a marketing advantage in V8SC that they feel would lead to more of their cars being sold? If not, they will pull out.

If they pull out, what other manufacturer would think they would gain a sales advantage when one of the two original V8SC brands couldn't see that advantage?
Old 1 Mar 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2406773)   #19
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe GM may actually survive but it will have to reinvent itself and get rid of whoever was making all the stupid decisions. Their one eyed approach really screwed them ,they never bothered to think about the future.
Old 1 Mar 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2406790)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you haven't heard the news GM is looking now to off load Opel and Vauxhall and is speaking of possibly retaining an interest in both if sold. In this economic climate, who wants them?

GM really is quite a mess to sort out with huge profitable operations in China and South America and then you have plants in Australia, Canada, Russia, Europe, Korea, etc.
Old 1 Mar 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2406842)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
Mark Reeus on In Pit Lane this Tuesday reasserts his commitment to local motorsport but casts some doubt over the future of V8 Supercars.
He's called for a wider selection of cars and manufacturers and the ability to run cars like the new Cruze at the top level of local motorsport.
Interesting that the Cruze was mentioned - RML have developed a Super 2000 version of it for the WTCC, and Arena are developing a S2000 Focus for the BTCC. Could this be the shape of things to come for touring car racing in Australia?
Old 1 Mar 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2406879)   #22
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Interesting that the Cruze was mentioned - RML have developed a Super 2000 version of it for the WTCC, and Arena are developing a S2000 Focus for the BTCC. Could this be the shape of things to come for touring car racing in Australia?
You'd have to hope not - little 300 hp buzz boxes just nothing special at all but the harsh reality might just be that is where it all ends up.

It'd certainly be a tough job trying to plan ahead a few years just now.
Old 1 Mar 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2406885)   #23
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
You'd have to hope not - little 300 hp buzz boxes just nothing special at all but the harsh reality might just be that is where it all ends up.

It'd certainly be a tough job trying to plan ahead a few years just now.
They do produce good racing, especially in the BTCC - 280hp doesn't sound much, but a full quarter of a tonne less weight, reasonably sticky tyres and a bit more grip produces something rather exciting, at the cost of outright lap times. They also sound rather good, oddly enough.
Old 1 Mar 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2406949)   #24
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
They do produce good racing, especially in the BTCC - 280hp doesn't sound much, but a full quarter of a tonne less weight, reasonably sticky tyres and a bit more grip produces something rather exciting, at the cost of outright lap times. They also sound rather good, oddly enough.
Sadly they won't sound anywhere near as good down here. The one thing that surprised me about the WTCC cars at Macau was the great noise they made, then I saw the regs which stipulated a maximum noise level of about 105 db down here they'll be limited to a good 10db less which trust me makes a huge difference.
Although the V8's are far more exciting in the amount of power they produce, the racing is pretty boring compared with some of the wild battles they have in WTCC and BTCC, having said that though the S2000 cars really do need at least another 100 bhp and even less weight to be really exciting.
Watching them on the straights was a bit like watching Formula Vees, they're very, very slow compared with the V8 Supercars.
Old 1 Mar 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2406967)   #25
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If the S2000 concept is introduced, I can see a huge resurgence in Sports Sedan racing, people love the sound and apprearance of the big V8's.