Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Oct 2009, 01:56 (Ref:2570466)   #26
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TC gets slapped? All I can say is PWNED.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 01:56 (Ref:2570467)   #27
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you, seems more appropriate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
Doesn't that article say that "Sports minister Phil Reeves last week said the V8s would be broadcast to 110 countries around the world", i.e. not Cochrane?
Exactly, but let’s not let the facts get in the way of a good story for the usual few dribblers looking to knock everything Supercars or Cochrane...

Tony Cochrane’s name is not mentioned at anytime during the radio report and the quote is directly attributed to Reeves. Couple of other points of interest;

1. V8 Supercars filled in for the “supposed international crowd puller and TV of A1GP” on the weekend, AT THE DEATH KNOCK HOUR!!!!!

2. V8SA was not there to deliver international TV at all – certainly not live as the reporter is trying to make out. Most of the current international coverage is delayed. A1GP was supposed to provide this “ live international television coverage”!

3. The crowd was down but it was still 205,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil 16/10
The Gold Coast Supercar "Event" will still be on and I reckon a crowd above 200,000 (even with all the drama), which will say plenty about Supercars being a standalone draw card if that’s how it pans out.
4. Considering the event was not run at all by V8SA (its IMG and the GCMEC) coupled with the yearlong and as it turns out ratified concerns surrounding the event, (Sponsors falling over, farcical and financially inept series in A1 offered as an Indycar replacement with apparently little due diligence, the GFC, the completely inadequate and un- professional management and promotion of the new lineup or lack thereof, etc etc...) it’s little wonder anyone turned up let alone 205,000.

5. Team Australia A1GP Team. In all fairness to Alan Jones and current driver John Martin they have hardly set the world on fire over the few years of this now apparently gone series. Motor racing enthusiasts would not have held much hope of a big result by the Aussies even if the event for them had gone ahead. The only real success the team has enjoyed as been in short cameo stints with Briscoe, Power, Will Davidson and Marshall who all went on to bigger and better things. Australian patriotism in support of Power, Marshall and last year’s winner Ryan Briscoe Champ Car/Indy did play a role in the overall success of the event.

However, if even they were to run on the Coast without V8Supercars I would wager plenty that the crowd would not have got anywhere near 200,000 even if promoted properly.

Even F1 promoters, quickly moved to reinstate Supercars on the Melbourne Program after 2007 because of their value to the Australian public, even though they publicly claimed little or no crowd difference. If it did not make difference why bring them back onto the program…?

6. The Premier, makes it very clear several times that the event on the weekend was great and that it will continue in 2010 and beyond with a focus on making it bigger and better. (simple, hand over the management to V8SA)

There is no doubt that numbers are way down on last year but it needs to be noted that Supercars saved the situation from being a complete disaster in a very short space of time (less than a week!) and if they had marketed and run the event from Day 1, like they do with 6 of the 14 events they do currently, a Clipsal style and size crowd of closer to 300,000 is very realistic.

It would be nice to have a genuine international category as part of the weekend and preferably with some competitive Australian content. But unless they can convince NASCAR to come here with Ambrose, the pickings look pretty slim...

I think I will just finish by offering the following quote that I and I am sure many other motorsport fans whole heartedly agree with,

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T
Not surprising is it. Cochrane has done so well this week
Old 27 Oct 2009, 01:57 (Ref:2570468)   #28
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
200 K was over FOUR days
Well that was what I was comparing .It was 300,000 over FOUR days at the last Surfers.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 02:21 (Ref:2570472)   #29
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil View Post
Exactly, but let’s not let the facts get in the way of a good story for the usual few dribblers looking to knock everything Supercars or Cochrane...
Where do you think Reeves got the information from. Cochrane has spun blatant tv bs for many years.

Quote:
V8SA was not there to deliver international TV at all – certainly not live as the reporter is trying to make out. Most of the current international coverage is delayed. A1GP was supposed to provide this “ live international television coverage”!
I believe this article was aimed at those (including V8SA) who suggested that they should hold the event alone. With the event needing international tv and large crowds, V8's couldnt deliver this.

Cochrane said they were happy to be judged on their performance over the weekend. The results show that the V8 category has a strong place at the Gold Coast event however cannot provide the international following needed by the Qld Government to make the event worthwhile for their investment.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 02:32 (Ref:2570474)   #30
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IF the V8's are the only show next year, would the crowd be bigger than this year as the hard core V8 fans have time to be organised and see the appeal with a little more notice next time around ?
Old 27 Oct 2009, 02:40 (Ref:2570477)   #31
The Used
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
The Used should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post
My apologies. I had no idea the event was so popular and that core CART/ChampCar/IRL fans, like yourself, made up the bulk of the crowd figures. And I had no idea that there was money being made on past CART/ChampCar/IRL events.

I need to have my Bex and have a good lie down, methinks. Thanks for setting me straight, btw.
Pretty silly argument here... The bulk of the crowd figures are not interested in motorsport at all, that includes the V8's.

Crowd figures are not the main reason the government hosts the event. It is to gain international exposure. They may lose money at the time on the event, but the local tourism profits in the end.

If the event is simply V8 supercars, there will be no international exposure and hence the event would be worthless to the government.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 03:11 (Ref:2570485)   #32
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
IF the V8's are the only show next year, would the crowd be bigger than this year as the hard core V8 fans have time to be organised and see the appeal with a little more notice next time around ?
Of Course. The only doubting thomases will be the Trolls who frequent these boards. The problem is going to be meeting the Queensland Govt's desperate need for international exposure. Someone has suggested in the media a Goodwood style of event as one way of overcoming this.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 03:16 (Ref:2570487)   #33
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Of Course. The only doubting thomases will be the Trolls who frequent these boards. The problem is going to be meeting the Queensland Govt's desperate need for international exposure. Someone has suggested in the media a Goodwood style of event as one way of overcoming this.
Already fixed apparently...

Quote:
Mr Reeves said the Super GP was broadcast live in New Zealand, the Gold Coast's biggest tourist market, the USA and India, and was streamed live on the internet.

He said 110 countries were sent feed and a network with an audience of 23 million across Europe, North Africa and the Middle East was to show the event on delay this week.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 27 Oct 2009, 03:20 (Ref:2570489)   #34
bazil
Veteran

Blah Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Where do you think Reeves got the information from. Cochrane has spun blatant tv bs for many years.
And your source for this insight is??? Change feet DRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT
I believe this article was aimed at those (including V8SA) who suggested that they should hold the event alone. With the event needing international tv and large crowds, V8's couldn’t deliver this.
You apparently believe a lot of things, mostly unsubstantiated dribble about Supercars being the devil. You spend most of your time looking for anything even remotely negative to justify your rants. One week to save the event, all of the already quoted handicap’s, zero control of the event, and yet you can claim that Supercars cannot deliver???

Quote:
Cochrane said they were happy to be judged on their performance over the weekend.

That is 100% correct. 205,000 is a very strong result and a clear indication of what could be possible if managed properly in the future. This thread was started with a ridiculous statement that Cochrane got slapped. They only slapping Cochrane should receive after the last week or so is on the back for a job well done.

As for the Govt, IMG and CO they should be copying uppercuts for allowing what transpired. How much of the Government tip in is allocated for the "International" component??

What real evidence apart from fanatical indifference can you provide to suggest the event could not attract they same success and crowds as Clipsal if run By V8SA and marketed correctly?? Adelaide is a great city but the Gold Coast has even more to offer as a destination and holiday/party atmosphere.

My guess is you have nothing...
Old 27 Oct 2009, 03:45 (Ref:2570499)   #35
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think V8s could hold their own on the Gold Coast for sure and as many have said, a lot of people don't even go for the motorsport anyway. I guess the question is about international exposure and how important it is.

In regards to the TV, what TC says and what actually happens are two different things.......I love how he always says V8 Supercars are shown in 110 countries but never says how many actually watch it!! I could say that lawn bowls is shown in 7 million household in Australia - doesn't mean they all watch it...
Old 27 Oct 2009, 03:49 (Ref:2570500)   #36
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Used View Post
Pretty silly argument here... The bulk of the crowd figures are not interested in motorsport at all, that includes the V8's.

Crowd figures are not the main reason the government hosts the event. It is to gain international exposure. They may lose money at the time on the event, but the local tourism profits in the end.

If the event is simply V8 supercars, there will be no international exposure and hence the event would be worthless to the government.
Of course it's a silly argument because politics is at play here... and that's exactly what you are doing... playing politics!

Without the V8 crowd, how many patrons do you know will be there? Don't spin it just say it!

How do you think that the politicians judge the success or otherwise of any event? The V8s provide a huge portion of the crowd numbers at any motorsport event in this country.

So what are you saying, the crowd went there to see the Choir Boys? Give me a break! It certainly looked like a V8SC crowd to me and they knew exactly how to react to the winners and spinners.

Silly arguments indeed!
Old 27 Oct 2009, 04:19 (Ref:2570511)   #37
Kiwikid
Racer

Kiwikid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Ms Bligh was on the radio today and gave T. Cochrane Esq a slap across the face.
Casper - Do you find that people follow you around out of a morbid curiosity to find out what inaccuracy or misrepresentation you will spout next? Having read the interview I note "Sports minister Phil Reeves last week said the V8s would be broadcast to 110 countries around the world...."

Now - unless I am wrong - you seem to accuse TC of this, and, you go on to question his ethics "TC, do you mean to tell the Australian Motorsport fraternity that you have tried to pull a fast one and it has backfired?"

I suggest you hop back in your box - put the lid on - and come out only when you can be constructive and accurate!
Old 27 Oct 2009, 04:26 (Ref:2570514)   #38
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And your source for this insight is??? Change feet DRT

You apparently believe a lot of things, mostly unsubstantiated dribble about Supercars being the devil. You spend most of your time looking for anything even remotely negative to justify your rants. One week to save the event, all of the already quoted handicap’s, zero control of the event, and yet you can claim that Supercars cannot deliver???
Can you like not be the guy with the Ali G style, 'that's what I heard about you' style of argument and please stop to think about the political process for the moment.

Do you really think that the politicians have the time or the staff to spend researching V8 Supercar TV figures themselves when their focus was on what A1 Grand Prix could bring? 110 is a specific number, that both the Minister and the Premier used it suggests it came from somewhere. If you were someone signing the cheques who did not know much of the subject (of which politicians must do a lot, running a state is tremendously complex and these are elected figures given a job in the oldest form of reality television, not industry experts) you take the figures that are presented to you and have some faith in it.

When you are a politician you expected to know the answers to every question a media press conference puts to you regardless of subject, so you are heavily reliant on numbers produced by others. If Bligh or Reeves did not know for certain they would have said for example: over 100. 110 is a specific number. Somebody gave that number to them, and by far the most likely candidate is V8 Supercar publicity department.

So please, just for a second, look beyond the shallow name calling, just for a second.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 05:16 (Ref:2570523)   #39
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do you really think that the politicians have the time or the staff to spend researching V8 Supercar TV figures themselves when their focus was on what A1 Grand Prix could bring? 110 is a specific number, that both the Minister and the Premier used it suggests it came from somewhere. If you were someone signing the cheques who did not know much of the subject (of which politicians must do a lot, running a state is tremendously complex and these are elected figures given a job in the oldest form of reality television, not industry experts) you take the figures that are presented to you and have some faith in it.

When you are a politician you expected to know the answers to every question a media press conference puts to you regardless of subject, so you are heavily reliant on numbers produced by others. If Bligh or Reeves did not know for certain they would have said for example: over 100. 110 is a specific number. Somebody gave that number to them, and by far the most likely candidate is V8 Supercar publicity department.
That's what the bureaucrats and pollie minders are for are they not - to check this stuff?
Old 27 Oct 2009, 05:55 (Ref:2570533)   #40
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Basil ,DRT is Ten Tenths "Troll in Residence" even caught him bagging V8Supercars on the old SPEEDTV board and his address given was someplace in Texas. Strangely as a "Texan "he had turned up to the A1GP race at Eastern Creek!!!
Old 27 Oct 2009, 06:15 (Ref:2570539)   #41
bazil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Can you like not be the guy with the Ali G style, 'that's what I heard about you' style of argument and please stop to think about the political process for the moment.

So please, just for a second, look beyond the shallow name calling, just for a second.
Falcadore, I am missing something as I have not spent 10 paragraphs "shallow name calling" although I did suggest a change of feet...

This thread was started by someone claiming that Cochrane was publicly “outed” for telling fibs by the Premier, and that is crap.

People hear what they want to hear and I would suggest based on the article and subsequent comments by those involved, this is what Reeves appears to have done. The axe is in the air and people are ducking for cover.

Politicians live and die by the detail as we have seen with "utegate" among others so don’t be naive enough to think that Reeves did not know the facts.

If you take offense to my attitude to some of the negative crap served up on here then I suppose that’s tough. Supercars and Cochrane like any business make mistakes and perhaps sometimes tell the story with greater enthusiasm than you might think it warrants.

However, taking a positive stance appears to have developed and grown the sport to substantial levels in spite of the derogatory and seemly personal agenda motivated floggers that don’t have anything good to say.

Facts are they did a good job with the mess left and probably deserve the chance to prove they could deliver the event as a whole under their direction based on recent events.

Ali…out.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 07:10 (Ref:2570557)   #42
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
That's what the bureaucrats and pollie minders are for are they not - to check this stuff?
Firstly, who would they check it with? But also, I doubt there would have been time to thoroughly check V8 Supercar's international credentials as the governments international TV focus was on what A1 Grand Prix could provide, rather than what V8 Supercar could provide. So at maybe basically a days notice the pollies turn to the beaurecrats (damn spelling), the attention of the journalists attention once deciding that A1 Grand Prix aren't coming they then ask, well will we be worse off with V8 Supercar as the headline? What is their footprint?

Now the journalists will have their own researchers too to backstop them, so if the politician gives a bad answer they can get the information through their own backchannels, but they've only got a day too.

It's an information race so while the journalists don't yet know the answer, they do have the question and the politicians have to have an answer in case, so they grab the figure which someone else has researched for them, they can always state after the fact that it was someone elses figure, which leads us to the original post in this thread.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2570560)   #43
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
If you take offense to my attitude to some of the negative crap served up on here then I suppose that’s tough. Supercars and Cochrane like any business make mistakes and perhaps sometimes tell the story with greater enthusiasm than you might think it warrants.
As you say they do live and die by the detail, but they can't have ALL the facts on command. It's not physically possible even for those with photgraphic memory.

V8 Supercar do a tremendous job.

Making this sort of error is not niavety and is probably inevitable. Two inquiries into the event certainly suggests that justification for the event is being sought.

Like a target stalked by an assassin, the politicians have to be right all the time, and the journalists only have to win once. Not every question can be anticpated.

However the gulf between 110 countries receiving the telecast, and 110 countries capable of receiving the telecast does warrant explanation.

I'll be fascinated to see from the enquiry results to see just how many countries actually do get the telecast or variations of it.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2570563)   #44
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This thread was started by someone claiming that Cochrane was publicly “outed” for telling fibs by the Premier, and that is crap.
Bazil, are you suggesting that V8SA have never publicly stated that their series is broadcast to 110 countries with an audience of 600 million?

Quote:
Facts are they did a good job with the mess left and probably deserve the chance to prove they could deliver the event as a whole under their direction based on recent events.
They did do a good job, no one is arguing that. The Qld Government who fund and put on the event want an international category with international exposure and following. With the 2009 event not gaining this, I dont see an argument for the V8's going it alone while international KPI's are still wanted by the government?

Why do they deserve to take over the event as a head liner with V8 Events being the promoter?
Old 27 Oct 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2570569)   #45
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well after reading 3 pages, What I want to know is..... Was anyone turkey slapped or not????????????
Old 27 Oct 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2570577)   #46
opinion8head
Racer

New Zealand
Cow Country.
opinion8head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well Bevan I've read the same pages...

No turkey was b*t*h slapped as far as I gather...I agree with the comment I read somewhere back there, the only slaps after this impromptu rescue by VESA [gulp]... Should be fairly and squarely on TC and his crews backs for giving me the best full on v8 weekend as a surprise that I have enjoyed in a long time... Specially the oldies, reminding me of the old days, animals of cars turning it on for crowd,and over 35 years since their birth...BLOODY AWESOME...
AND definatelty seen on TV...or Ida mist it.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 03:14 (Ref:2571129)   #47
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion8head View Post
Specially the oldies, reminding me of the old days, animals of cars turning it on for crowd,and over 35 years since their birth...BLOODY AWESOME...
I agree with you, whenever those old cars come out, they really know how to turn it on. As for the rest of show, they've got a quite a few rough edges to smooth out.