Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Apr 2018, 21:34 (Ref:3812686)   #76
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I've paid for subscription print media, the ad:content ratio was much higher...
Old 4 Apr 2018, 01:25 (Ref:3812713)   #77
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
people already are
Foxtel has hit a ceiling of 30% of households which no strategy has taken them beyond.Financially they have taken a huge hit in the last 12 months as their non sport subscribers have migrated to Netflix at $12/month.The new CEO sees Foxtel as an aggregator of content rather than a supplier of exclusive content as streaming options by sports are written into their new tv contracts.Liberty and F1 is a example of this.A great prototype is MotoGP.com.Pay tv subscriber numbers are falling all around the world as the landscape changes.All that is certain is that you will increasingly have to pay someone to watch top level coverage of your favourite sport as FTA tv is in permanent structural financial decline.Whether Foxtel can thrive will depend on price.
By the way I have had Foxtel for 20 years and for me it is good value because of F1 and Moto GP.Now EPL is gone without those I would probably be out of it.Also while some may position themselves as Ruperts BFF many of us see him as one of Australia's biggest corporate tax "avoiders" and a malignant influence on the Australian and world wide democratic process.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 01:46 (Ref:3812719)   #78
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
By the way I have had Foxtel for 20 years and for me it is good value because of F1 and Moto GP.Now EPL is gone without those I would probably be out of it.Also while some may position themselves as Ruperts BFF many of us see him as one of Australia's biggest corporate tax "avoiders" and a malignant influence on the Australian and world wide democratic process.
$32 a month to watch moto GP, no thanks i will skip

Hypocrites "many of us" are. Will have a go at rupert for skipping tax while posting on our iphone.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 05:16 (Ref:3812736)   #79
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last media deal was $240m-ish over 6 years.
$40m per year.

Would a million people pay $40/year for a streaming service? Maybe

Would any sponsors want to be on the cars for those million people? Nope
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 5 Apr 2018, 23:37 (Ref:3813106)   #80
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the CAMS model of allocating Category Management rights really good for motorsports as a whole?

Tennis Australia and Cricket Australia are in the middle of negotiations for TV etc. rights at the moment so it was interesting to read an article in the Fairfax media in recent days detailing how money from media rights is spent by those two organisations.

Apparently these organisations and others including the AFL use a fair percentage of the money to promote and develop their sports at the grass roots level.

I know that the AFL have allocated several million dollars to develop the AFL and facilities etc. in the Latrobe Valley (for example).

I would imagine that TA and CA would use a large proportion of it's funds on developing their sports in regional locations as well as other domestic competitions that do not have major income streams.

CA control all of the various forms of cricket including big bash and Sheffield Shield unlike motorsports where CAMS only really run F4.

The current Australian Motorsport system of category management sourcing media rights does nothing to promote or develop junior motorsport at the level of karting ,FF or F4.

There would appear to be something wrong with the model being used in Australian Motorsport.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 00:21 (Ref:3813110)   #81
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Hearing you champcarman but CAMS has shown itself to be lacking when it comes to things like broadcast rights etc. That's what lead to the current model - an acceptance by CAMS that they were better suited to being an ASN only and not a wholesale marketing / sponsor chasing / broadcast rights motorsport organisation.

I don't know how (if) they could undo the current model - no doubt there'd be a bunch of legal issues to deal with at the very least and CAMS would be a very different organisation in terms of staffing (& no doubt cost).

Other thing to bear in mind is that many decisions within the CAMS structure are actually made by volunteer committees - at one stage there was a huge number of those committees, over 100 if memory serves. They sometimes only meet once a quarter. The staff administer the organisation but often are beholden to decisions made by committees. I'd reckon that overall structure would need to change if the CA/TA/AFL models were to be followed - a very big job that would need member support to change the constitution etc, not sure that would ever get up to be honest.
Old 6 Apr 2018, 05:20 (Ref:3813149)   #82
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Story here that cricket might end up behind a Foxtel pay wall
Old 6 Apr 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3813204)   #83
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Is the CAMS model of allocating Category Management rights really good for motorsports as a whole?

Tennis Australia and Cricket Australia are in the middle of negotiations for TV etc. rights at the moment so it was interesting to read an article in the Fairfax media in recent days detailing how money from media rights is spent by those two organisations.

Apparently these organisations and others including the AFL use a fair percentage of the money to promote and develop their sports at the grass roots level.

I know that the AFL have allocated several million dollars to develop the AFL and facilities etc. in the Latrobe Valley (for example).

I would imagine that TA and CA would use a large proportion of it's funds on developing their sports in regional locations as well as other domestic competitions that do not have major income streams.

CA control all of the various forms of cricket including big bash and Sheffield Shield unlike motorsports where CAMS only really run F4.

The current Australian Motorsport system of category management sourcing media rights does nothing to promote or develop junior motorsport at the level of karting ,FF or F4.

There would appear to be something wrong with the model being used in Australian Motorsport.
At the risk of defending CAMS, when they started giving away the category marketing rights in the 90s (In V8s case to TEGA at the end of 1995), they wouldn't have been thinking that far ahead to a time when TV money could fund the development of the sport.

CAMS will never ever get back the power they had.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 10:41 (Ref:3813545)   #84
AWASP
Rookie

AWASP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh speaking of TV on the Supercars site "One" was supposed to have 1hr highlights at 8.30pm saturday instead I'm watching (well was) some other stupid ball game WTF another let down.......
Old 7 Apr 2018, 22:11 (Ref:3813779)   #85
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWASP View Post
Oh speaking of TV on the Supercars site "One" was supposed to have 1hr highlights at 8.30pm saturday instead I'm watching (well was) some other stupid ball game WTF another let down.......
looking at the tv guide. the A league was always going to be last night at 8.30. has been all summer.

However Supercars did put out a facebook post to say supercars were on at 8.30 (and i assume the supercars website)
Old 8 Apr 2018, 01:31 (Ref:3813814)   #86
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
looking at the tv guide. the A league was always going to be last night at 8.30. has been all summer.

However Supercars did put out a facebook post to say supercars were on at 8.30 (and i assume the supercars website)
Was the Saturday race shown at all on Ten / One?
Old 8 Apr 2018, 03:33 (Ref:3813849)   #87
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Was the Saturday race shown at all on Ten / One?
yes. On One at 10pm and also at around 11 on ch 10
Old 12 Apr 2018, 22:39 (Ref:3815110)   #88
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Looks like a deal is imminent for Cricket rights, with 9 & 10 missing out and Fox having a lot of exclusive content: Deal nearly done
Old 12 Apr 2018, 22:49 (Ref:3815113)   #89
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Looks like a deal is imminent for Cricket rights, with 9 & 10 missing out and Fox having a lot of exclusive content: Deal nearly done
wow, thats a big move to pay TV, including big bash.

Great for Foxtel users,
Old 12 Apr 2018, 22:50 (Ref:3815114)   #90
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kerry Packer would be rolling in his grave.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 22:56 (Ref:3815115)   #91
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Absolutely!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Apr 2018, 23:27 (Ref:3815118)   #92
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:

Great for Foxtel users,
Yeah, although remains to be seen how the anti-syphoning list is dealt with. It might also be a tipping point for taking up a Foxtel subscription. Personally, I've resisted up till now (couch time has its drawbacks) but I'm wavering and wanting to watch some cricket might just be the final straw for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Yeah he would I think, it's a VERY big change.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 01:00 (Ref:3815122)   #93
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Great for Foxtel users,
It really isn't much of a big deal. International 20 and 50 over games were less popular than the Big Bash so are no bother. The Big Bash is a cash cow for CA and whomever broadcasts it so will stay on FTA. Test cricket is better on pay tellie because they aren't always throwing to an ad break. I watched the ball tampering live from South Africa on Foxtel. Made for sickening viewing.

Guess with nine taking the tennis 7 had to come up with something.

On the up side here is a great opportunity to get rid of channel nine commentary team.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 01:33 (Ref:3815123)   #94
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
It really isn't much of a big deal. International 20 and 50 over games were less popular than the Big Bash so are no bother. The Big Bash is a cash cow for CA and whomever broadcasts it so will stay on FTA. Test cricket is better on pay tellie because they aren't always throwing to an ad break. I watched the ball tampering live from South Africa on Foxtel. Made for sickening viewing.

Guess with nine taking the tennis 7 had to come up with something.

On the up side here is a great opportunity to get rid of channel nine commentary team.
Funny cash cow... Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Apr 2018, 01:53 (Ref:3815124)   #95
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Funny cash cow... Here
"The expected revenue to be pulled in by the next TV deal for the exploding Twenty20 tournament, which could jump from $20 million a year currently to as much as $60 million a season, is a key driver in predictions of upwards of $2 billion in revenue for CA over the next five years."

Sold out grounds most days of the week over what eight (?) weeks and a generous tv deal plus merchandise and endless sponsorship = cash cow. If CA cant make money out of this they never will.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3815131)   #96
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Funny cash cow... Here
Cash cow for CA not for tv network.FTA networks lose large amounts on every big sport tv deal.They supposedly do it for the "halo" effect for their network.Last year 9's bankers warned them about bidding big for cricket rights because of the money they lost on the last contract.Happy that we will get rid of the 9 commentators who based their approach on hyper nationalism rather than the sport.
Interesting to see what has happened with streaming rights as this was the big roadblock a week ago.Foxtel wanted exclusive on this while 7 wanted it through their app.As a big cricket fan not interested in Big Bash but who likes international cricket not involving Australia hope this deal doesn't mean cut back in international coverage from South Africa and New Zealand.
Now back to motor racing.P2 in China starts in an hour.
Old 13 Apr 2018, 05:13 (Ref:3815133)   #97
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad I have foxtel

way of life now
Old 13 Apr 2018, 05:32 (Ref:3815135)   #98
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Glad I have foxtel

way of life now
How much ODI's / International T20 do you watch?
Old 13 Apr 2018, 06:03 (Ref:3815137)   #99
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Glad I have foxtel

way of life now
Between Fox and Netflix/Stan there is almost no need for FTA anymore
Old 13 Apr 2018, 06:48 (Ref:3815143)   #100
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No more Michael Clarke and Mark Nicholas. Its a day to celebrate.