Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Aug 2019, 01:02 (Ref:3920903)   #26
rass cass
Rookie

rass cass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
posted by tony c

It looks like the second alfa could be a bit of a dog, Jordan Cox did a good number of laps but didnt make progress. They should try Dylan O'Keefe in that car to confirm that it up to scratch.

Jordan Cox is only 2 tenths slower than O'keefe when the cars are on the same quality rubber in only his second weekend in tcr , does not seem to be too much wrong with the second Alfa.
Maybe the problem area for the second alfa at previous rounds was between the drivers seat and the steering wheel.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 02:19 (Ref:3920909)   #27
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rass cass View Post
Maybe the problem area for the second alfa at previous rounds was between the drivers seat and the steering wheel.
Aha.... the nut that holds the steering wheel
Old 3 Aug 2019, 02:26 (Ref:3920910)   #28
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
JKV on pole, although by not much. Bright and the Renaults are nowhere.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/08/03...-Xtzj7RRpyyTfA

With any luck JK will run away and clear out.

Martin looking very consistent, the cream is definitely rising to the top in TCR.

Bright seems to hit someone whenever he is competitive.

Pither having an engine change. That's a worry.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 02:56 (Ref:3920912)   #29
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pither engine drama seems to be a throwback to the shunt at The Bend.

Car dumped all of its coolant at the time, and may have hurt the engine.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 04:55 (Ref:3920917)   #30
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Pither engine drama seems to be a throwback to the shunt at The Bend.

Car dumped all of its coolant at the time, and may have hurt the engine.
Is it running the famous Renault 2.0 F4RT iron block engine from the old Renault Megane RS (which you'd expect given it's an older car developed by privateers and released a full year before the actual road-going RS), or the new fangled aluminium Nissan MR series 1.8 unit from the current RS and Alpine A110? If the former, you wouldn't expect any troubles.

Shame to hear of the dreaded turbo car heat soak on the Alfa Romeo.

The race sure was a procession and a clear indication the level of the Australian series is far below that of the TCR World Cup series, which is a worry.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 05:40 (Ref:3920919)   #31
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vernay trots it in for a win.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/08/03...25g-OK82ExJ9m0

Will Brown wants to quit trying to pass around the outside on the first lap, I would have thought.

Cox doing nicely, poor Andre driving great but just no luck at all.

Wonder a little bit where Molly Taylor would be if she swapped cars with Mrs Tander.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 05:56 (Ref:3920920)   #32
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
The race sure was a procession and a clear indication the level of the Australian series is far below that of the TCR World Cup series, which is a worry.
Why is it a worry?
Old 3 Aug 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3920921)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
More of an indication of the Aussie driver talent level than the series surely.... A Frenchman who has never been to Australia, let alone seen the circuit, steps off a plane from Europe the night before, snags pole, and wins by a margin after a completely mistake free run.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 06:49 (Ref:3920924)   #34
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
More of an indication of the Aussie driver talent level than the series surely.... A Frenchman who has never been to Australia, let alone seen the circuit, steps off a plane from Europe the night before, snags pole, and wins by a margin after a completely mistake free run.
A fairly highly credentialed Frenchman though! Most Indy Lights Champions progress to Indycar.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 07:13 (Ref:3920926)   #35
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Why is it a worry?
Because it means the racing is (was) only close because all the drivers are equally off the pace, rather than equally on the pace!

It means it is very likely a driver could win TCR Australia, then enter WTCR cup and be right down the back, which would be rather embarrassing... it would be better for the series to be at a world class level so drivers could go from TCR Australia to other TCR races and actually be on the pace.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 07:26 (Ref:3920927)   #36
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TCR Australia is a national series. That's all it's meant to be.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3920931)   #37
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
TCR Australia is a national series. That's all it's meant to be.
Correct , but a worthwhile addition to the Australian motor sport scene, we saw a decent crowd at QR today , maybe even bigger tomorrow!
Old 3 Aug 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3920933)   #38
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is it running the famous Renault 2.0 F4RT iron block engine from the old Renault Megane RS (which you'd expect given it's an older car developed by privateers and released a full year before the actual road-going RS), or the new fangled aluminium Nissan MR series 1.8 unit from the current RS and Alpine A110? If the former, you wouldn't expect any troubles.

Shame to hear of the dreaded turbo car heat soak on the Alfa Romeo.

Megane is using Clio 1.6 block that was enlarged to 1.8, and then they installed crankshaft from Nissan Sentra and they are using turbo from Mercedes A-Class.
Some Frankenstein, but since Renault is dumping all money in stupid F1 project there is nothing to support these cars, they only give Vukovic their blessing
Old 3 Aug 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3920934)   #39
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Quote:
Because it means the racing is (was) only close because all the drivers are equally off the pace, rather than equally on the pace!

It means it is very likely a driver could win TCR Australia, then enter WTCR cup and be right down the back, which would be rather embarrassing... it would be better for the series to be at a world class level so drivers could go from TCR Australia to other TCR races and actually be on the pace.
Well I would like that every national TCR series be on WTCR level, but that's impossible.
Just like that 1998 Bathurst. Rickard Rydell was 1.5 second faster then Steven Richards, and Richards later won Bathurst with Jason Bright, so he is not bad driver.
I would love to see Supercars drivers in WTCR, especially McLaughlin, but I don't know if they will be on top or not. After all almost no one from Supercars has driver FWD car.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 09:08 (Ref:3920935)   #40
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Im enjoying TCR Aus very much.... but one irritating fact to me is that the leaderboard on screen only updates once per lap. The commentators are busy saying that driver X has gone off and dropping down the field, yet driver X still shows in 2nd or wherever for the rest of the lap.

A minor issue I admit, but in this day and age seems a bit outdated.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3920936)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great to see the Enforcer in 3rd!
Car looked a lot better onboard & from the outside than at the Bend.
Schooling at Norwell making a difference?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Aug 2019, 09:33 (Ref:3920937)   #42
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Im enjoying TCR Aus very much.... but one irritating fact to me is that the leaderboard on screen only updates once per lap. The commentators are busy saying that driver X has gone off and dropping down the field, yet driver X still shows in 2nd or wherever for the rest of the lap.

They're not fully utilising the timing system.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3920938)   #43
Umai Naa
Veteran

Word is, the #777 crapped an engine.

The other thing that is apparent, is that GRM are now the only team actively running Renaults.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 09:36 (Ref:3920939)   #44
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

The TV production values are certainly not up to VASC standards EB, but I guess that would be a function of the budget.

The product (racing) is mostly of a very good standard although today's round was a bit processional.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3920941)   #45
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
A fairly highly credentialed Frenchman though! Most Indy Lights Champions progress to Indycar.
...and a highly-credentialed Frenchman who knows fwd touring cars, and in particular the Audi, inside-out, racing against a field of drivers who mostly have got fairly limited fwd TCR experience...
To be honest, I'd have been very surprised to see Vernay anywhere other than right at the pointy end of the grid this weekend
Old 3 Aug 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3920942)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Word is, the #777 crapped an engine.

The other thing that is apparent, is that GRM are now the only team actively running Renaults.
Does KR have a spare Astra engine?
Should Ms Taylor and Mr Rullo sleep in their cars in case they are repositioned elsewhere?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Aug 2019, 10:12 (Ref:3920944)   #47
Umai Naa
Veteran

Apparently there's a spare Opel engine trackside.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 12:06 (Ref:3920955)   #48
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0994 View Post
Megane is using Clio 1.6 block that was enlarged to 1.8, and then they installed crankshaft from Nissan Sentra and they are using turbo from Mercedes A-Class.
Some Frankenstein, but since Renault is dumping all money in stupid F1 project there is nothing to support these cars, they only give Vukovic their blessing
And yet TCR is "production car" racing as against Supercars "frankensteins"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
The TV production values are certainly not up to VASC standards EB, but I guess that would be a function of the budget.
I'll put it to you this way, just the package that does the grid run-through before the races is a $1m setup for Supercars.

Quote:
Apparently there's a spare Opel engine trackside.
At least GRM & the Kelly's had spare engines (well KR had one anyway).

Also amusing how many mechanical issues we're seeing. Just like in Europe, road car parts are vulnerable and fragile, these cars will never approach bespoke race car reliability.

I'd love to see them in an invitational class at the 12hr but I wonder how many would finish.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3920956)   #49
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

I'd love to see them in an invitational class at the 12hr but I wonder how many would finish.
Agree. That engine has gone too much from production based one. But neither Renault or Nissan have reliable engines in that class. That's why Lada Vesta uses 2.0 from old Megane RS, and they never had any issue with engine, that I am aware of.

Also TCR cars are racing in VLN and 24H Series, they will have TCR 500 event later this year. So they can survive even 24 Hours events
Old 3 Aug 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3920983)   #50
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Honda and Volkswagen have completely standard engines, identical to the road car. It's only 350hp, not a big ask when the standard road car tune (with restrictive catalytic converter and a need to last for 300,000km) already makes 300hp.

Honda Civic Type R K20C1 production crate engine for $8,000 is a lot cheaper than Supercar's Aurora block Chevrolet for $100,000!