Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Apr 2002, 10:28 (Ref:256250)   #1
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darwin Smith win first round of Junior Ford

I would have thought someone would have mentioned it before me. I dont like announcing things i just like commenting.

Anyway now Junior ford is the most competative version of the best junior formula, its quite an achievement for Darwin to win the first round.

The first few laps it was Clucas and Smith dicing for position but after Clucas blew an oil pipe Smith was well away.

As for our other two drivers, James Taylor had his sidepod smashed in a racing incident and Tim Heappey spun off on Clucas' oil, both were going for top ten positions at the time.

May I also add that the time Darwin did in testing and qualifying were faster than any of our previous drivers have ever done.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 15:12 (Ref:256527)   #2
AndyM
Racer

AndyM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Mackmot, I'm sure our four-pronged attack will give you a run for your money at the weekend. Couldn't make it to Snett but will be back, spanner in hand for MDR at Donny this weekend. Surprised not to see Mackie at the test yesterday, suppose you were off Renault-ing somewhere....

Last edited by AndyM; 10 Apr 2002 at 15:13.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 16:27 (Ref:257376)   #3
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

"Daniel proves his pace"

Promising Maidenhead racer Daniel Clarke produced a storming drive in the opening round of the Avon Tyres Junior Formula Ford Championship at Snetterton on Sunday, but the ultimate result was a disappointment for the Medina Sport driver.

Clarke suffered from car troubles for much of the weekend, not least during qualifying when gearbox problems thwarted his efforts to set a fast lap. "It wouldn't go into fourth gear from about halfway during the session," said Daniel. "But I still got fifth, which was strange."

Clarke therefore annexed fifth on the grid, 0.7s off the pace of pole position man Ben Clucas.

When the lights turned green Daniel (Van Diemen RF01) made a solid start but an off at the Esses on the third lap dropped him almost to the back of the field. A spirited charge through the field saw him make up places on almost every lap, peaking at sixth on the final lap before a locked back wheel at Sears cause him to fall back a couple of places to eighth.

However, the most memorable and encouraging aspect of the race was the sheer pace and racecraft he displayed to slice through the field in such quick time. It was particularly pleasing for John Loebell, Medina's team principal, as the squad was taking part in its first ever event.

Daniel, however, is already looking ahead to better fortunes at Donington Park this weekend. "I'm disappointed with my performance, and I wasn't prepared properly throughout the weekend for many different reasons. Those issues have already been addressed and I intend to be a front runner this weekend, no excuses," he said.

"I was surprised at how the drivers got into tangles and tight packs so easily - I expected them to be muc more clever about their racing. They slow each other up so much," he continued.

The 18-year-old BRDC Single Seater champion hits the track again for a double-header at Donington Park in Leicestershire on Sunday, April 14.

Last edited by Nina; 11 Apr 2002 at 16:32.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 20:23 (Ref:257581)   #4
TVR
Rookie

TVR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
er Mackmot the track is faster this year due to circuit mods at the corners, ie all cars are faster this year
Old 11 Apr 2002, 20:46 (Ref:257590)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heh Fords are 5 speeds now? And what corner mods have been done at Snett?
Old 12 Apr 2002, 06:41 (Ref:257870)   #6
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zetecs - five gears - I don't think so?????????

Anybody please correct me on the above if I am wrong?

The juniors at Snetterton were superb until Clucas went out with a lot of place swapping and a seven car train for the lead at one point. Spectating at Russell was fun.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 12:14 (Ref:258040)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

Clarke has Dahlgren's title winning car I think. Maybe he was making a joke about the controversy at Brands(?) or maybe Silverstone last year
Old 12 Apr 2002, 12:39 (Ref:258053)   #8
Dickie Thrust
Rookie

Dickie Thrust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
Clarke has Dahlgren's title winning car I think. Maybe he was making a joke about the controversy at Brands(?) or maybe Silverstone last year
Funny that, I know two other drivers who have Dahlgren's Championship winning car!!!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 14:26 (Ref:258133)   #9
Russfeld
Veteran

Well it wouldnt be the first time little danny's PR went overboard
Old 12 Apr 2002, 19:40 (Ref:258382)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Overboard? Me? Maybe a bit keen, but there's probably a bit less hyperbole than in most press releases...

Anyway - gearbox. Of course it has only four gears, I must say I should have checked Daniel's quote beforehand but then I expect him to know what he's talking about! I guess maybe he meant he could get fourth but not third. Either that or the illegal gearbox has been rumbled...

As for whether it's Dahlgren's car: I was led to believe that it was, and certainly when it first tested in the hands of Medina months ago it was in Dahlgrenesque 2001 livery. That's as much evidence as I've got but I'll try to clear it up over the weekend.

Cheers all.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 23:13 (Ref:258544)   #11
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nina
"It wouldn't go into fourth gear from about halfway during the session," said Daniel. "But I still got fifth, which was strange."

Clarke therefore annexed fifth on the grid, 0.7s off the pace of pole position man Ben Clucas.
Doesn't that mean that he's referring to fifth on the grid, not fifth gear, and that he's surprised he was so quick despite losing top gear?
Old 13 Apr 2002, 03:36 (Ref:258637)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

oh......right

)
Old 13 Apr 2002, 08:42 (Ref:258720)   #13
bazza
Rookie

bazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TVR
er Mackmot the track is faster this year due to circuit mods at the corners, ie all cars are faster this year
That's strange, Your cars were slower when you were there last thursday.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 11:15 (Ref:258809)   #14
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
perhaps he means he took out first gear for qualifying (and race? to allow him to run two top gears - ie. '4th' and '5th'
Old 14 Apr 2002, 22:02 (Ref:260400)   #15
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"It wouldn't go into fourth gear from about halfway during the session," said Daniel. "But I still got fifth, which was strange."

He was clearly talking about his grid position he still got 5 th place, despite problems