Old 15 Apr 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2441836)   #1
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*Real life challenge* Design a rally

Hi guys

Just stumbled across this, figured it may capture your imagination!

The Scottish Tarmack Rally Championship are organising a competition to design 9 different stage routes for an upcoming single-venue tarmac rally, the Mercury Motorsport Rally Stages, to be held on July 25/26 at the former racing circuit of Ingliston, near Edinburgh. The routes must conform to the regulations set out in the MSA "Blue Book".

Regulations:
http://msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_f...s_Rallying.pdf

Venue Map:
http://www.strc.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=211

Let's see what you come up with. Who knows, some of your designs may well end up being used for real!
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 15 Apr 2009, 23:33 (Ref:2441839)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooooh, interesting. I do know of some great gravel roads up north, but they are of no use here.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 23:37 (Ref:2441840)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hold on, do we have to design 9 stages in that area? Or just one?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 01:25 (Ref:2441878)   #4
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
9 Though even 1 or 2 ideas is better than none at all!

Bit of onboard footage from another event at the same venue, for a bit of guidance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaZtt7KrNRI

Also, I think you're hopefully looking at something around 6 minutes/5 miles per stage.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 01:38 (Ref:2441883)   #5
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not familiar with the series. Is this point to point or circuit?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 03:18 (Ref:2441902)   #6
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Point to point, though you can technically have "laps" by use of a merge. Kinda hard to explain, see the "split right" at 1:35 in the vid to see what I mean.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2442166)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Been a long time since I was at a tarmac rally at Ingliston. As I recall they were able to use some stage routes in both directions to make up the the required number of stages.

Can the "yump" still be used off the hairpin?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2442236)   #8
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Sorry forgot to mention, yeah, you can run a stage in both directions. From the onboard footage on Youtube I think they ran 1 of the 3 distinct stages at last weekend's event in both directions. I've also worked out from it complete route maps for 2 of those 3, to give you guys an idea of what you're aiming for:

SS3/4
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3365/ss34z.jpg

SS7/8
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6599/ss78.jpg

N.B. The numbers beside each split show which one to take, ie. "1" = take on 1st approach, etc.

And yeah, if you're refering to the one I'm thinking of, the "yump" just south of the mini-roundabout on the outside of the Esses can be used (see 7:07 of this vid). Or is there another one you're thinking of?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2442360)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By the way, the PDF map is "upside down". I think I'll have to use splits, as I designed a windy one that only came to 2.1 miles ...
Old 16 Apr 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2442362)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozier74 View Post

And yeah, if you're refering to the one I'm thinking of, the "yump" just south of the mini-roundabout on the outside of the Esses can be used (see 7:07 of this vid). Or is there another one you're thinking of?
Actually I was referring to the area at approx 1.47 of that clip but run in the opposite direction. In the clip the car approaches the hairpin from beyond the trck, up the slope with quick right then left to proceed up the Straight away from the hairpin.
As I recall, and it was some time ago, that section was run the opposite way approaching the hairpin down the straight, a quick right and then left over the rim of the cambered hairpin.

The mini round about section I don't recall as being used.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2442441)   #11
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can you determine the track length of your own designs without any given measurements?

Is there a post code for Gmap or anything?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2442451)   #12
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Type "Ingliston, UK" into Google Earth or your chosen map program, should crop right up.

[Mod] Or Edinburgh Airport as its adjacent to the South. [/Mod]

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 16 Apr 2009 at 22:02.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2442557)   #13
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
ahhh, so its a St. Wendel type stage. Might give it a go later
Old 16 Apr 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2442567)   #14
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure I'm getting it. Lol. :-/ I must be going blind.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2442586)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Here's my go for one possible Route.

Two views of it, the first is using the PDF provided with the second showing the full stage with approximate distance from Google Earth.

In the first the Green section is the start of the stage, which leads into the Loop. Towards the end of the second loop the stage continues along the Red section to a finish.
The stage with 2 laps is 2.87(ish) miles long...each additional loop would add about 1.2 miles.

Disclaimer, I haven't read the rules as posted and hope the castle area isn't out of bounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Route 1.jpg   Route 1 GE.jpg  
Old 4 May 2009, 23:42 (Ref:2455513)   #16
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Interesting take SBF, I ended up using a few of your ideas

My final submission can be downloaded (as a zip file) here. Sorry about the filesize, I saved the images in quite high-res... 6 distinct stages, half of them to be repeated in reverse. Was a lot of fun and quite challenging, here's hoping I win and get a free entry into the event now!
Old 22 Jun 2009, 23:37 (Ref:2488649)   #17
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
*bump*

Just to let you guys know, that after consultation with the MSA, my entry WON!!! Won myself a free entry into the rally itself worth £300, but unforunately I can't take it up as I'll actually be away in China on the date of the event! Gutted! But thankfully they said I can put my prize back til a later date, say the Crail Stages early next year, so all is not lost

Can't wait to see some onboard footage on Youtube of my stages in action! Big thanks to MyTracks for giving me the trackmaking nouse to make this possible!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2488901)   #18
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool!