Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Feb 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1523248)   #1
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't like Alonso. Tell me why!!!

For some reason I can't like Alonso as a champion. Not sure why. Does anyone else have this problem. The only reasons I can narrow it down to are:

1) His stupid antics with Flavio when he wins;
2) I have a decent level of respect for MS;
3) He didn't seem to try all season.

None of these seem to be enough to dislike him though I do.

Old 15 Feb 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1523262)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hun... let's see, trying to answer your list:

1) That's a personal point of view, there are people who lovew to watch that show.
2) To have respect for someone doesn't mean you have to dislike the other.
3) I don't get what do you mean for "try", but he did a great job.

And I'm not his fan or Renault's... just pointing out.

Final note: How can you dislike some one, you don't know personally. Assuming you don'ty know him personally, do you ?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1523272)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't think of a single reason not to like him, really. He comes across well in interviews, seems modest enough to truly appreciate his achievements. I also have huge respect for Michael Schumacher, but if anything that increases my respect for Alonso for being good enough to challenge him. As for whether he seemed to be trying - the sign of a truly great driver is being able to win races without appearing to be putting too much effort in. It is just an appearance though - the grace of a swan above water coupled with the effort you only see if you look beneath.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1523305)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfer
1) His stupid antics with Flavio when he wins;
2) I have a decent level of respect for MS;
3) He didn't seem to try all season.
1) er, aren't these a toned down version of the antics MS had with Flav.
2) Irrelevant
3) He tried really hard and became world champion.
(what Bon said)
Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1523375)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Uhm, what exactly is the point of this thread?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1523381)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we only kept the ones with a point, there wouldn't be many left...
Old 15 Feb 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1523395)   #7
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am with Smurfer! I just don't like him either!

He hasn't gained the respect that others have!

He has had the Renault drive given to him on a plate!

Much like Kimi- Formula Renault to Sauber to Mclaren!

I feel they havent earned their race pedigree, too much too early in their lives!

Look at Schumacher, F3 he was good, some performances showed potential, then Mercedes Juniour team then Jordan! I feel he worked for his seat in F1!

This is just my opinion!
Old 15 Feb 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1523418)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, just to be in line with the rest.

I no like Michael Schumacher, he bad, he not have my respect, he should go!
I like Jacques, he rule, also he has nice helmet, yay!
Old 15 Feb 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1523419)   #9
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was indifferent to Alonso until Japan. To me he didn't seem all that impressive, he played the numbers game and won the WDC, and that's all fair and square - he definitely earnt it, kudos to that - I would have done the same. But he earnt my respect in Japan, just show what he could do if there was "nothing" on the line. I'm still not a fan, but he has my respect. And it's not because of the Schumacher overtake - rather Webber overtake (and I'm a Webber fan).
Old 15 Feb 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1523436)   #10
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good grief.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1523440)   #11
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Alonso is a very smart character and also a very cool customer. The style in which he won last years championship really displayed how cool and calculating he is, in fact almost computer like. Maybe his risk free approach is the problem. Its not his fault its just his way of adopting to the rules. Looking back at that breath taking move he made on Michael in Japan was in away out of character for him but at that stage the title was in the bag and the pressure was off. I would love to see more driving like that from him but maybe that's the wrong way to go about winning a championship. I remember Pat Symond's saying that he worked with both Michael and Senna and he said would put Alonso on the same level as these two guys. I think Alonso looks at the championship from points point of view and not race wins. A great world champion but not a show man. He leaves that for the guys who want finish runners up.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1523459)   #12
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfer
I can't like Alonso. Tell me why!!!
Your subconscious is projecting an image which you are failing to recognise as an unfounded personal bias simply because your desires are not coming to fruition.

Get over it.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1523465)   #13
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
...He has had the Renault drive given to him on a plate!
Much like Kimi- Formula Renault to Sauber to Mclaren!
I feel they havent earned their race pedigree, too much too early in their lives!
Look at Schumacher, F3 he was good, some performances showed potential, then Mercedes Juniour team then Jordan! I feel he worked for his seat in F1!
This is just my opinion!
One hardly based on fact, apparently. The guy did a year at Minardi as a race driver, then stepped back to a test role at not-so-impressive (then) Renault in 2002, displayed good promise (with some mistakes) in 03 and 04 as a race driver at Renault, and finally 05 WDC. The guy has worked for his success, didn't just show up at the best team on the grid as a rookie...
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1523471)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
between Kimi and Alonso, i have a slight inclination in favour of Kimi, so that may affect my ratings of Alonso.

But in any cases, i think drivers should be encouraged to celebrate the way they like. It would be bad if there are restrictions to their behavoir in that sense. In fact, i've missed seeing donuts and stuff.

I mean, there was a time when Alonso always show the number of victories with his fingers from the cockpit.. some thought that was arrogant (i for awhile thought so too), but really..it's jus natural happiness. and he did win a race..so guess jus let him have his moment.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1523480)   #15
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
If I have a dislike for someone else, but can't give good reason why, the problem is most likely my own and not theirs.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1523481)   #16
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well ... I don't like him, but I have a hole lot of respect for him ... Not sure I like him at McLaren 2007 but thats just something I have to get overwith ...

He took the title be doing his math and not more than he had to. Sadly, Kimi didnĀ“t have that luxury last season...
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1523482)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its because he looks like Zorro isn't it?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1523486)   #18
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-O
He took the title be doing his math and not more than he had to. Sadly, Kimi didnĀ“t have that luxury last season...
No. He took the title by performing constantly well, driving consistanly fast, and destroyed his team-mate in the process.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:19 (Ref:1523494)   #19
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
No. He took the title by performing constantly well, driving consistanly fast, and destroyed his team-mate in the process.
Still he didn't do more than he had to, and had a help from his team-mate when he needed
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1523499)   #20
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Well, he would have been unwise to go wheel-to-wheel with the team-mate of his biggest rival, when he was protecting a championship lead...
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:29 (Ref:1523501)   #21
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny side up!
One hardly based on fact, apparently. The guy did a year at Minardi as a race driver, then stepped back to a test role at not-so-impressive (then) Renault in 2002, displayed good promise (with some mistakes) in 03 and 04 as a race driver at Renault, and finally 05 WDC. The guy has worked for his success, didn't just show up at the best team on the grid as a rookie...

I didnt say that he hadnt been to Minardi and developed with Renault but I think the championships are easier to win now because they dont have the talent that we used to see maybe 15 years ago!

Mansell, Prost, Senna, etc compared to Schumacher, he is the master but where are the other major talents?
Alonso was in the car at the right time! Kimi I feel should have won the championship, but maybe merc/inexperienced hot headedness lost him it!
Montoya? Hasnt shown true grit in F1 yet, Button? so much promise but zero delivery Schmacher, R should be better than his brother but isnt! etc etc
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1523514)   #22
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Preference for drivers is a very difficult area. Half the problem is it's so subjective.

I must admit that I have been pretty to and fro about TBC, Alonso & Raikkonen.

TBC - Yes he cynically punted off Hill and others, but then again you can't say that all that success was down to being willing to run people off the road.

Alonso - Some of his drives, particularly at San Marino last year have been nothing short of genius. But then again, the accident he caused in Brazil a few years ago was unforgivably reckless and could have killed somebody.

Raikkonen - Once again, how do you differentiate between genius and idocy? Most of the time he drives are sublime, but then was that plunge into the smoke at Spa genius of criminal insanity?

In the end, i have to say that I'm open to being convinced who (or if indeed all) of the above three is the genius and who are muppets.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1523520)   #23
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re Spa - Kimi had a logic on that one to do with smell or something, don't remember.

Alonso - nowt wrong with chap
Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1523529)   #24
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Well, just to be in line with the rest.

I no like Michael Schumacher, he bad, he not have my respect, he should go!
I like Jacques, he rule, also he has nice helmet, yay!

I no like JV helmet so he not have my repect, he should be banned from F1
Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1523534)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I liked the look of Alonso from his Minardi days. I was certain he "had it".

So, I have watched his rise with much enjoyment.

I would, however, like that rise to see him drop down to 2nd this year (well, 3rd ideally, but 2nd is OK), .