Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 29 Jun 2006, 17:22 (Ref:1644322)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Porsche working on a new ACO car?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=14298

Quote:
The .. car, to be called the GT1... Porsche Carrera GT: basis for the GT1
Quote:
The machine will be based on the Le Mans car that Porsche has under development...
So, built around the Carrera GT, sounds like a GT1 entry by Porsche.

Lister, Porsche, Panoz... all building new GT1 cars...
Old 29 Jun 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1644344)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This has been mentioned in the main Coupe thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=84776&page=8
And the response is generally favourable.

However this thread will serve to discuss specifics about that car and the thread linked about is good for general discussion on the new Coupe LM rules and direction.

Old 29 Jun 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1644358)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the links on the other discussion.

I hadn't looked in that discussion (on this topic), as I can't believe that this is a LMP design. Called a GT1, and is actually an LMP... strikes me as strange. Based on a road car... I know the issues with the Carrera... It would be pretty hard to take a road car, no matter how "Super" and turn it into a LMP1. The only way that would even be part of the discussion, is if the "based on" refers to the engine... which is at best a stretch.

Even it was a LMP, it has nothing to do at all with the new Coupe LM rules which come into effect in 2010. This link seems to suggest that an LM car will be running no later than 2008.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1644364)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'The machine will be based on the Le Mans car that Porsche has under development, but will be a road-going version. It's due in 2009.'

Would the ACO accept a GT1 that is being developed as a racer first, then turned into a roadcar.

If you look at the Carrera GT history, it was a Supercar based on the engine and technology on the abandoned LMP900.

Reading the article, it immediatly struck me that this new road car would be 'based' on a new Le Mans (prototype) car, drivetrain, styling cues etc.

As for the name, GT1, well Porsches latest 997 GT2 car is still called the 'GT3'.

I cannpt see why Porsche would build a new Supercar to go head to head with a Corvette and DB9, why wouldn't they use a turbo 911 of some sort?

And with an LMP2 already on track, and rumoured LMP1 soon, a GT1 racer doesn't seem logical to me.

Though I may be totally wrong, lol.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 19:11 (Ref:1644380)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
'The machine will be based on the Le Mans car that Porsche has under development, but will be a road-going version. It's due in 2009.'

Would the ACO accept a GT1 that is being developed as a racer first, then turned into a roadcar.
The article specifically states that this is based on the Carrera GT... a roadcar. So a roadcar first, then a racecar... then a more extreme roadcar, the Carrera GT1 with some of the wilder "race" elements.

Quote:
As for the name, GT1, well Porsches latest 997 GT2 car is still called the 'GT3'.
All very well, but the class was originally GT3, when that designation was made.

Quote:
And with an LMP2 already on track, and rumoured LMP1 soon, a GT1 racer doesn't seem logical to me.

Though I may be totally wrong, lol.
They've run multiple classes before, and easily could again.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1644394)   #6
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I cannpt see why Porsche would build a new Supercar to go head to head with a Corvette and DB9, why wouldn't they use a turbo 911 of some sort?
Both FIAGT and ACO rules are bad for turbo's. Just look at the PSI and A:Level BiTurbo's, both very well prepared cars let down by heavy restrictions.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1644401)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New Panoz and Lister will have turbos?

Hardly a reason to build a car thats even more extreme than the Carrera GT, when history shows the ACO will come down like a ton of bricks on anything that hints at homologation special.

The Le Mans 3.55 'limit' also negates the need to update the Carrera GT, seeing as it would be ideal for GT1 in its current state.

The article also indicates it will be racing before the 'road going' version is ready, not likely for a GT1.

One more thing, the road cars only due in 2009 (meaning 2010 for the GT1 racer, at the earliest), a year before the 2010 P1 coupes, regs that are, apparently, going to let manufactuers produce cars that incorparate styling cues from their road cars.

Would Porsche wait/spend 3-4 years developing a GT1 racer before bringing it to the track, racing programes start and finish in that time span!

It's a sutle difference, but why doesn't the article say Porsche are devloping a new supercar, which will be the bases for a GT1 challenger? They are also vague when describing the car as based on a 'Le Mans car' rather than a new GT1 race car.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by JAG; 29 Jun 2006 at 19:58.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1644414)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
The article also indicates it will be racing before the 'road going' version is ready, not likely for a GT1.
Actually, it doesn't say that at all.

It states the racecar will be based on the Carrera GT.

It then states the GT1 will be based on the racecar.

Quote:
One more thing, the road cars only due in 2009 (meaning 2010 for the GT1 racer, at the earliest), a year before the 2010 P1 coupes, regs that are, apparently, going to let manufactuers produce cars that incorparate styling cues from their road cars.
Mute point, as the roadcar is on the road now.

Quote:
It's a sutle difference, but why doesn't the article say Porsche are devloping a new supercar, which will be the bases for a GT1 challenger? They are also vague when describing the car as based on a 'Le Mans car' rather than a new GT1 race car.
The article doesn't say it, because that isn't what is happening, though we might like to believe so. The new roadcar, is based on the new "LeMans car".

You have PM.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 20:27 (Ref:1644419)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
'You have PM.'

Cheers.

But why race a Carrera GT that's out, or on the way out of production, after such reluctance when interest was shown from customers.

'IF' a GT1 is in the works, I'd put money on it being based on the new 928 replacement.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1644436)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
'IF' a GT1 is in the works, I'd put money on it being based on the new 928 replacement.
Pay up, then. My super secret source says it's based on the 914-6.

Last edited by paul-collins; 29 Jun 2006 at 21:08.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Jun 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1644444)   #11
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would put a bet on a GT1 car being based on a 928 replacement since their other current models are to small or in the cayenne's case too fat to be a GT1 car and if they do an LMP1 i think it will probably be based on the
LMP2 RS spyder since they already have a hugely fast car with lots of potentiol left
Old 29 Jun 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1644456)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Pay up, then. My super secret source says it's based on the 914-6.
A Carrera GT1, I'll pay up when I see it (hopefully )
Old 29 Jun 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1644499)   #13
Viper GTS-R***
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Viper GTS-R*** should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
A Carrera GT1, I'll pay up when I see it (hopefully )
There's alreaddy an Porsche Carrera GT1 in race version, under team GPR.
They still working on the car in Belguim (GPR is Belgium team.)
Here is a link to an info-press article of it: http://pitstoptvftp.belbone.be/nieuw...hp?newsid=9828 or http://www.racexpress.nl/index.php?nav=Artikel&nid=1022 where you see a picture of it. It's in Dutch.. Here fot the french people: http://www.hibn.tv/content/rubrique.php?id_rubrique=236 but what they say, they will make the car competitive for the season 2007. Then the possibility's are: fia gt, lms, lemans but first of all Belcer to give him the sake down for a race. i dont know where they are at the moment with their project but porsche motorsport wouldn't give them support-hulp in the project, thats the reason why it take's so many time... i know that he has a shake down wit driver Marc Duez on Spa a few months ago but thats all. Ife i know more in futere i will post it!
Pic's:

Old 30 Jun 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1644672)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A lovely car and nice to see someone racing it - and at Spa too! Thanks for the pics, did you take them?

However I feel this is a world away from a GT1 to take on the best in LM or FIA GT.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 08:36 (Ref:1644687)   #15
Viper GTS-R***
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Viper GTS-R*** should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
A lovely car and nice to see someone racing it - and at Spa too! Thanks for the pics, did you take them?

However I feel this is a world away from a GT1 to take on the best in LM or FIA GT.
No thanks, and nope i didn't take them. Taken by the team or otherwise the motorsport pers who where show up to see the car driven his first ever tour on Spa. On the shtraight he wuold go up to 280km/h thats 175mile/h. And indeed then on that day he was a world away from the top gt1's to take part of fia gt or lms etc. But just like i say they are still preparing the car and it take's a lot of time cause porsche motorsport wouldn't support them in the project... lil bit sad but nothing to doo.
I will ask some Belgium guys some info about the project and post it, maybe some of them know's more of it. A link to the teams site for exemple. You will hear about it soon
Old 7 Jul 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1650431)   #16
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Wouldn't it be great to see a hardcore trackversion of the Carrera GT compete against the Ferrari FXX and the Maser MC12 Stradale and Maybe a Koenigsegg CCR.......I know,dream on,dream on...
Old 7 Jul 2006, 18:58 (Ref:1650462)   #17
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are not alone :-(
Old 7 Jul 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1650516)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pit them against the mega super GT cars
Old 8 Jul 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1650845)   #19
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This was posted on Speed channel's website and think sampled from Autocar
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto...wmodels/28090/

Nice picture on the article too, great look on an already good-looking car.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1650867)   #20
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to be honest if prototypes are going to be like that there probably wont be any difference between the LMP2 and CLMP1 (closed lemans prototype)
but i think that porker would make a good GT1 car i could imagine it racing against the MC12 and the DBR9's
Old 8 Jul 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1650936)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
Thats a road car though, and depending on who you talk to, it could be a GT1 racecar, so look similar to the above picture.

Alternatively, the Super Carrera GT may well be just that, a pure road car that will use technology from Porsches Le Mans prototype (RS Spyder/2010 Coupe?), but not be directly linked. A similar relationship the abanoned 2000 LMP900 had to the original Carrera GT if you like (same engine etc.)

'as well as work on weight distribution and aerodynamics, both of which will differ from the competition versions of the car.'

'In fact, Porsche is already racing a 600hp, normally aspirated V8 engine in the American Le Mans series with the Penske-prepared RS Spyder, and it’s expected to be adopted by Porsche’s own European Le Mans racer. However, Le Mans racers will switch to the closed-coupe format from 2010'

Who knows, hopefully there will be a GT1 car in adition to the expected P1.

Last edited by JAG; 8 Jul 2006 at 18:02.
Old 8 Jul 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1650947)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
My opinion:-

Porsche P1 V8 Turbo (coupe)
Porsche P2 V8 atmo (open)
'New' Carrera GT road car using the P1 cars V8 Turbo

Hope for:-

Porsche P1 V8 Turbo (coupe)
Porsche P2 V8 atmo (open)
Porsche Carrera GT1 racecar
'New' Carrera GT road car using the P1 cars V8 Turbo
Old 25 Jul 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1664564)   #23
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
According to the Bear's blog this Porsche GT1 rumor is clearly bogus.
Quote:
It doesn’t take much to get some Porschephiles going. Excellence publishes a spoof about the Panamera sedan coming to NASCAR, and they bite. Not to be outdone, AutoWeek puts out a bit that there is a GT1 project underway – not a car that might be called a GT1 (still unlikely) – but a car that would be entered in GT1 class racing.. A German guy named Hartmut denied at Miller that any such project is planned. Murphy is going to believe Hartmut on this one – for now.
source: http://murphythebear.com/blog/2006/0...op-17/#more-21
Old 25 Sep 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1719469)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper GTS-R***
There's alreaddy an Porsche Carrera GT1 in race version, under team GPR.
They still working on the car in Belguim (GPR is Belgium team.)
Here is a link to an info-press article of it: http://pitstoptvftp.belbone.be/nieuw...hp?newsid=9828 or http://www.racexpress.nl/index.php?nav=Artikel&nid=1022 where you see a picture of it. It's in Dutch.. Here fot the french people: http://www.hibn.tv/content/rubrique.php?id_rubrique=236 but what they say, they will make the car competitive for the season 2007. Then the possibility's are: fia gt, lms, lemans but first of all Belcer to give him the sake down for a race. i dont know where they are at the moment with their project but porsche motorsport wouldn't give them support-hulp in the project, thats the reason why it take's so many time... i know that he has a shake down wit driver Marc Duez on Spa a few months ago but thats all. Ife i know more in futere i will post it!
Pic's:

The GPR Porsche Carrera GT is on the entrylist of the 24 Hours of Bahrein.

http://82.165.32.64/bahrain/rennen.de.php
Old 25 Sep 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1719563)   #25
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are there any other informations about the car ?

What kind of preparation has the car ?
Like a GT3 car ?
Like a GT2 ?