Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Sep 2011, 13:16 (Ref:2949875)   #76
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
That was for South Africa wasn't it? Funnily enough I was watching a race from 1995 in the SATCC and a Vento popped up at the back.
Italy, '93. Rinaldo Capello and Beppe Gabbiani.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2949966)   #77
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
With VW moving to WRC I think a BTCC entry is unlikely.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 16:46 (Ref:2949970)   #78
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Any VW entry would be funded by VW UK though, it wouldn't or shouldn't affect the WRC programme. If they did it like the works cars in the BTCC at the moment, who let's be honest, not as much manufacturer support as you'd think, then it would be possible.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2949976)   #79
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
So TD will be building a full NGTC car for the BTCC and a new S2000 car for the WTCC based off the 2012 Civic? Sounds like a lot of work.
Who's to say it's TD who would be involved in the WTCC. I would have thought it would be more likely be JAS motorsport, who have experience of it.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2949978)   #80
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But have JAS really produced a decent Honda touring car? Not really. Mind you the funding's never been there to help develop it.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 17:10 (Ref:2949979)   #81
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Who's to say it's TD who would be involved in the WTCC. I would have thought it would be more likely be JAS motorsport, who have experience of it.
Because it is Team Dynamics who have said that they are pursuing this:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93719
Old 2 Sep 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2949980)   #82
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TD have already announced that they will be building a car for evaluation purposes with a view to entering WTCC in 2013 - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93719

edit - snap...

Last edited by gregc; 2 Sep 2011 at 17:11. Reason: too slow
Old 2 Sep 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2949982)   #83
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What they really mean is they already have a S2000 Civic and their engine partner NBE is going to build a 1.6T engine so that teams can run it in the WTCC if they want!
Old 2 Sep 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2949984)   #84
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Isn't VW supportive of NGTC (In Scandinavia)? So let's say VW UK decides to build a NGTC-spec car, races it in BTCC and then sells/leases it to VW Sweden to let them race it there. On the other hand, how important are the UK and Scandinavia as markets to VW?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2950014)   #85
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, the Scirocco's in the STCC are s2000 spec, running biogas turbo engines. They first entered with endurance Scirocco's running ballast.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2950023)   #86
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
I think the poster means they haven't said anything about the TTA series, so seem to be supportive of the STCC, which means the NGTC rules eventually.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2950060)   #87
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Or have no interest in STCC or TTA when the contract runs out.
Old 3 Sep 2011, 00:38 (Ref:2950186)   #88
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or a bit like Chevy with the STCC, they support it as it provides a few more years use from their current machinery.
Old 3 Sep 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2950262)   #89
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Or a bit like Chevy with the STCC, they support it as it provides a few more years use from their current machinery.
In VW's case, this makes actually sense to run their Sciroccos until 2013, because they have a turbo after all.

Still, I'd love to see a NGTC Jetta.
Old 3 Sep 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2950266)   #90
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Well we can talk about VW's interests but isn't the Scirocco project almost totally depending on Biogas? There isn't much VW branding on the car.
Old 3 Sep 2011, 14:07 (Ref:2950286)   #91
davidjones
Rookie

England
Nottingham
davidjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the poster means they haven't said anything about the TTA series, so seem to be supportive of the STCC, which means the NGTC rules eventually.
I think the VW Biogas team was originally part of the TTA, however, left around the time that Solution F was first proposed, although I could be wrong on that.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2952652)   #92
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Today's Autosport reports RML will be back in 2012.

Also both them and Techspeed are to fit turbo NGTC engines.

They also report that WSR will have a turbo-powered car, meaning that Chris James, if he returns, will be the only NA entry.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2952697)   #93
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
I'm assuming RML will build their own powerplants because they have the capacity to do so, plus the Toca unit has been pretty rubbish since the boost restrictions happened.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 13:37 (Ref:2952716)   #94
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm assuming RML will build their own powerplants because they have the capacity to do so, plus the Toca unit has been pretty rubbish since the boost restrictions happened.
It seems like RML already had this in mind when they developed their WTCC engine...

'In 2011 RML Engines debuted the new RML Chevrolet FIA Appendix engine, a 1.6 litre Direct Injection turbo engine [...] The turbo engine concept and castings are designed for capacities between 1.6 and 2 litres'

If not, what other series do they intend to use a 2L Turbo engine in?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2952721)   #95
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It seems like RML already had this in mind when they developed their WTCC engine...

'In 2011 RML Engines debuted the new RML Chevrolet FIA Appendix engine, a 1.6 litre Direct Injection turbo engine [...] The turbo engine concept and castings are designed for capacities between 1.6 and 2 litres'

If not, what other series do they intend to use a 2L Turbo engine in?
The only problem I see is that the RML 1.6T engine is quite a bit far removed from the NGTC regs. It's not just stock turbo and engine management that the NGTC reg engines must run.... but it's also certain internal etc have to be from road car engines.

The RML 1.6T engine sways a lot more to the prototype race engine than to a modified road one.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2952728)   #96
c8nay
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, England
c8nay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They would have a good customer base already with Tech-Speed, Chevrolet Sweden (must be looking at a turbo engine now that they know the biogas cars will be back) and I presume the Lacettis will be allowed to run the unit so Chris James and maybe even Bamboo (if they find some drivers with budget) could be interested if it makes the lacetti a decent mid grid car again.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2952746)   #97
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
The only problem I see is that the RML 1.6T engine is quite a bit far removed from the NGTC regs. It's not just stock turbo and engine management that the NGTC reg engines must run.... but it's also certain internal etc have to be from road car engines.
I understood that the engine had to be from the manufacturer's broad 'family', would this engine meet the criteria.

The official NGTC release seems to suggest that it is just externals that are mandated. I know it's simpifying things, but I 'm sure RML's engine would need little work to meet NGTC regs if it's already designed to 2L.

Throw it in the Lacetti, and we can forget the parity issue as soon as next season.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2952782)   #98
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Haha, what about the full NGTC v S2000-NGTC parity! < /cynic mode >
Old 8 Sep 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2952785)   #99
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beat me to it - given that some of the teams have already been heard complaining that the NGTC cars are too quick...
Old 8 Sep 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2952792)   #100
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Throw it in the Lacetti, and we can forget the parity issue as soon as next season.
If only, I bet it'll be about the NGTC cars having bigger wheels/brakes than the S2000/NGTC hybrids.

Anyway.....

DriverTeamCarEngineStatus
Matt NealHonda Racing (Team Dynamics)Honda Civic NGTCNGTC Neil Brownconfirmed
Gordon SheddenHonda Racing (Team Dynamics)Honda Civic NGTCNGTC Neil Brownconfirmed
Jason PlatoSilverline (RML)Chevrolet Cruze S2000NGTC (?)probable
Alex MacDowell?Silverline (RML)Chevrolet Cruze S2000NGTC (?)probable
Paul O'Neill?GoMobile (Techspeed)Chevrolet Cruze S2000NGTC (?)probable
John George?GoMobile (Techspeed)Chevrolet Cruze S2000NGTC (?)probable
Andrew Jordan?EurotechVauxhall Vectra S2000NGTC Swindonprobable
Jeff Smith?EurotechVauxhall Vectra S2000NGTC Swindonprobable
James Nash?Triple 8TBATBAprobable
TBATriple 8TBATBAprobable
Tom Chilton?Team Aon (Arena Motorsport)Ford Focus S2000NGTC Mountunelikely
Ton Onslow-Cole?Team Aon (Arena Motorsport)Ford Focus S2000NGTC Mountunelikely
Andy Neate?Team Aon (Arena Motorsport)Ford Focus S2000NGTC Mountunelikely
Mat JacksonAirwaves Racing (Motorbase)Ford Focus S2000NGTC Mountunelikely
TBAAirwaves Racing (Motorbase)Ford Focus S2000NGTC Mountunelikely
TBAAirwaves Racing (Motorbase)Ford Focus S2000NGTC Mountunepossible
Rob Collard?eBay Motors (WSR)BMW 320si S2000NGTC Swindon?probable
TBAeBay Motors (WSR)BMW 320si S2000NGTC Swindon?probable
Tony Gilham?Geoff Steel RacingBMW 320si S2000NGTC Swindonpossible
TBAGeoff Steel RacingBMW 320si S2000NGTC Swindonpossible
(Martin Byford? Jake Hill?)AmD/Milltek RacingVolkswagen Golf S2000NGTC Lehmannlikely
Tony HughesSpeedworks MotorsportToyota Avensis NGTCNGTC Swindonlikely
Rob AustinRob Austin RacingAudi A4 NGTCNGTC Lehmannlikely
Chris Swanick?Rob Austin RacingAudi A4 NGTCNGTC Lehmannprobable
Frank Wrathall JrDynojetToyota Avensis NGTCNGTC X-CTech-R likely
Tom BoardmanSpecial Tuning RacingSEAT Leon S2000NGTC Lehmannconfirmed
Dave Newsham?Special Tuning RacingSEAT Leon S2000NGTC Lehmannprobable
TBASpecial Tuning RacingSEAT Leon S2000NGTC Lehmannpossible
Dan WelchMarriott (Welch Motorsport)Proton Gen 2 NGTCNGTC Swindonlikely
Matt HamiltonTH MotorsportSkoda Octavia NGTCNGTC Lehmannconfirmed
TBAThorney MotorsportVauxhall Insignia NGTCNGTC Neil Brown confirmed
Ginetta Supercup ChampionTBATBATBAconfirmed

First table for 2012, in order of likeliness:

Confirmed = Confirmed by team on news sites
Likely = Everything in place, just waiting on confirmation
Probable = Unless radical things happen, it should happen
Possible = Depends on funding and sponsors, but something has been said publicly

Last edited by medius; 8 Sep 2011 at 17:08.