Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 29 Oct 2007, 21:36 (Ref:2054404)   #1
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vehicle Lighting

To anyone reading this, PLEASE check you vehicle lights.
Some people are using lights for the first time for months, but are they working?
Saw a car this evening the only rear lights were two number plate lights, one brake light and half a brake light in the back window.
And so many others where lights were not working.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 21:43 (Ref:2054410)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of my workmates is especially bad for this, only 1 rear brake / side light is working, and I told him that about 2 months ago - nothing has been done yet! These are people who shouldn't be allowed a car, in my opinion..
Old 29 Oct 2007, 22:31 (Ref:2054439)   #3
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a driver, but it does scare me when people obviously do not care.

and this goes to you cyclists too!
Old 29 Oct 2007, 22:34 (Ref:2054443)   #4
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've popped this over to road car as it fits in a bit better there.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 22:40 (Ref:2054448)   #5
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
I've popped this over to road car as it fits in a bit better there.
I saw your indicator!!
Sorry must get out more locked into Marshals & Parc Ferme!
Old 30 Oct 2007, 06:22 (Ref:2054591)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I love the people who drive down a well lit main road at night and don't realise they haven't turned their lights on until they turn off into a dark side street. They mustn't look at their dashboard very often.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 08:02 (Ref:2054616)   #7
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
I love the people who drive down a well lit main road at night and don't realise they haven't turned their lights on until they turn off into a dark side street. They mustn't look at their dashboard very often.
I have seen a few of these two...amazing hey.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 13:53 (Ref:2054934)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Been caught out by my Previa a couple of times- it's the only car I've had where the gauges are illuminated regardless of whether the lights are on or not! Ok so there's a little green light to tell you the lights are on but I'm used to cars where the dashboard illumination acts as a Lights On indicator.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 14:05 (Ref:2054948)   #9
Ex_MAD_O
Rookie

United Kingdom
Devon
Ex_MAD_O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What amazes me is that people don't notice that it's dark outside.

...and that it's not foggy, but thats another matter.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 07:02 (Ref:2055583)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_MAD_O
What amazes me is that people don't notice that it's dark outside.

...and that it's not foggy, but thats another matter.
Oh don't get me started on people who drive around with fog lights on, rain, hail or shine.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 17:46 (Ref:2056080)   #11
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
Oh don't get me started on people who drive around with fog lights on, rain, hail or shine.
They will tell you that the front ones are driving lights!!
Oh and are there any cars where those lights under the bumper, light up any thing you can actually see?
Old 1 Nov 2007, 08:07 (Ref:2056580)   #12
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal
Oh and are there any cars where those lights under the bumper, light up any thing you can actually see?

The "driving/fog" lights on my santafe are quite large and emit as much light as a headlight and can be used to drive on...

This I do when coming home from work at night and driving through the estate as when negotiating the narrow roads my headlights tend to shine in the bedroom windows of the bungalows whereas my driving lights dont...

Just me being sensitive to the residents at after midnight every night
Old 1 Nov 2007, 08:12 (Ref:2056588)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Women and BMW drivers usually are the none observant one,s for this one!
Old 1 Nov 2007, 11:57 (Ref:2056798)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
The "driving/fog" lights on my santafe are quite large and emit as much light as a headlight and can be used to drive on...

This I do when coming home from work at night and driving through the estate as when negotiating the narrow roads my headlights tend to shine in the bedroom windows of the bungalows whereas my driving lights dont...
There is no such thing as driving/fog lights. There are driving lights and there are fog lights.

Fog lights are best mounted low on the car and can be used without headlights, they are wired up so that the tailights come on automatcically when the fog lights are switched on. Fog lights have a very limited range and are aimed downwards to flood the road with light immediately in front of the car.

Driving lights, by law, must be wired so that they only come on with high beam headlights. Driving lights spread light far and wide and are designed for use when travelling at speed outside of a built up area.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 14:30 (Ref:2056950)   #15
Ex_MAD_O
Rookie

United Kingdom
Devon
Ex_MAD_O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fog Lights - From the Highway Code

Quote:

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]
It's the law
Old 1 Nov 2007, 20:53 (Ref:2057215)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Women and BMW drivers usually are the none observant one,s for this one!
oi!!! i'll have you know it's not a mot requirement to have working reverse lights!!
Old 2 Nov 2007, 08:00 (Ref:2057474)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
O.K Bella,I,ll give you that
Old 2 Nov 2007, 10:58 (Ref:2057617)   #18
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
oi!!! i'll have you know it's not a mot requirement to have working reverse lights!!
That's cos women can't reverse!!

Sorry Bella,
Day off and the brain cell goes AWOL!
Old 2 Nov 2007, 15:34 (Ref:2057934)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
tell you what, i've learnt how to reverse since the lights stopped working (and the reverse sensors with it)!! makes reversing in the dark very interesting too

in defence of those with dodgy headlights... i didn't sort out one of my front headlights for 6 months over summer because the bulbs cost a bomb! plus if you're a girl, some of the lamp fittings are impossible to deal with. my front headlight is skewed, but i can't find a single person who can get it to fix into the unit. man or woman. if manufacturers can make the units a lot better then it may encourage us to interact with the car more...
Old 2 Nov 2007, 16:04 (Ref:2057977)   #20
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My car has automatic lights, and i drive around with the spotties on constantly, so people don't drive into me (only 300 of the car made)

Benifit of a top of the line model, it tells me if there is a light out with a warning on the dash.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 17:05 (Ref:2058043)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
well, mine does too allegedly, but apparently not if you have to cut the wire leading to the offending lights...
Old 4 Nov 2007, 00:19 (Ref:2058961)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It's probably illegal, but you could always put your hazard lights on to get some extra illiumination when reversing.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 09:33 (Ref:2062785)   #23
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal

They are on a Peugeot 205.

Oh and they do on a Peugeot 205.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 10:30 (Ref:2062842)   #24
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
...in defence of those with dodgy headlights... some of the lamp fittings are impossible to deal with. ....i can't find a single person who can get it to fix into the unit. man or woman. if manufacturers can make the units a lot better then it may encourage us to interact with the car more...
OK, I've snipped Bella a bit (sorry)
but I agree very strongly. I've been driving around now for about 3 months on one side light.
(if it was a headlight I'd make more effort)

Why - because in order to replace the nearside bulbs on a diesel SEAT Ibiza there are 2 options
1 - take the battery out to obtain access to the light units
2 - take the bumper off in order to take the light units out through the front

absolutely looney piece of design.

The offside is slightly better spacewise, in that I could just change bulbs, but it did take about an hour to do combined with some knuckle surgery.
Old 9 Nov 2007, 13:28 (Ref:2063744)   #25
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
OK, I've snipped Bella a bit (sorry)
but I agree very strongly. I've been driving around now for about 3 months on one side light.
(if it was a headlight I'd make more effort)

Why - because in order to replace the nearside bulbs on a diesel SEAT Ibiza there are 2 options
1 - take the battery out to obtain access to the light units
2 - take the bumper off in order to take the light units out through the front

absolutely looney piece of design.

The offside is slightly better spacewise, in that I could just change bulbs, but it did take about an hour to do combined with some knuckle surgery.

To change bulbs in either headlight on our Mondeo the headlight has to be removed...
Doesnt stop us replacing a blown bulb at the first opportunity....

Its a legal requirement to have all bulbs working and the vehicle would fail an MOT or roadside inspection....

No excuse for not replacing them IMHO