Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Nov 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3860535)   #326
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On a Youtube clip (at about 2:20 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wru5CPm4H1A ) of the highlights, it appears to show that Oliver just clipped the nearside rear of the Mini causing the problem.

I say appears because the camera position was in front of the cars as they approached, and one cannot actually see any contact from that viewpoint.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3860536)   #327
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was it on the entry to St Marys in? What was called No Name at one time? Looks to me like Meadon was trying to move left in order to make a later apex, whilst Oliver was on the right line and just started turning right. Difference between front wheel drive and rear wheel drive.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3860548)   #328
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to "you bend it, you mend it rule", or are the "superstars" exempt from this ?
Old 2 Nov 2018, 12:38 (Ref:3860550)   #329
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exempt.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3860558)   #330
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy norm View Post
What happened to "you bend it, you mend it rule", or are the "superstars" exempt from this ?
I suppose that@ between the owners and the 'superstars' really. Any sensible personal owner would only want a co-driver who they think can be trusted not to damage their pride and joy. I suppose this may become a little skewed when the car has some sort of corporate ownership where more interest may be on fame & the glory of race wins?
Old 2 Nov 2018, 13:42 (Ref:3860559)   #331
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
If you take the Revival and the MM is going this way too, the cars are built/restored by the major outfits such as Team Dynamics, Jordan (Andrew and Mike) etc. Unlike my car these have been built using laser technology etc. The owners are people like Steve Soper, (who incidentally is a nice chap), Patrick Watts etc. We've had this conversation before BTW, when I suggested that maybe it wasn't a good idea.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3860563)   #332
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Trust". That's the thrust of Meadon's article in MS. Trust who you're racing alongside. It's clear who it was aimed at...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 2 Nov 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3860565)   #333
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
"Trust". That's the thrust of Meadon's article in MS. Trust who you're racing alongside. It's clear who it was aimed at...

I've not read the article in question so please treat my following comments as a 'generalisation' and not a dig at anyone in particular.
Over my 40 odd years of being a motorsport fan (especially anything classed as a tin-top) I have seen a number of 'personalities' be that in a writing sense, or someone who appears on National Radio & TV (for example) use their position of power from their day job to berate & complain about a fellow competitor who doesn't have the same opportunity to get their side of the story across to anywhere near as many people.
As I say, I'm not saying that is what's happened here, I'm just saying...
Old 2 Nov 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3860592)   #334
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He didn't have a go, but the underlying message was clear.......

Old 3 Nov 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3860713)   #335
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
watching that video (again) granted the two minis ahead mask the gritty detail, but we know both cars are flat out in a straight line on the Lavan straight, some way before the breaking point for Woodcote.

The Cortina makes a very obvious and quite (for 120mph) acute move to it's right. just before the mini skids and veers left off track etc. Which is why I don't think its an accident. If it's a racing incident, then, in my humble opinion, its an illegal one for a non contact sport.

I had a customer visit a few weeks back, who also happens to know a few other older racers I know . . . . they all raced together with Soper in minis years ago as he was 'climbing the ladder' They all share the same opinion of him, and it's not the same as Peters!
Old 3 Nov 2018, 13:39 (Ref:3860714)   #336
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
watching that video (again) granted the two minis ahead mask the gritty detail, but we know both cars are flat out in a straight line on the Lavan straight, some way before the breaking point for Woodcote.

The Cortina makes a very obvious and quite (for 120mph) acute move to it's right. just before the mini skids and veers left off track etc. Which is why I don't think its an accident. If it's a racing incident, then, in my humble opinion, its an illegal one for a non contact sport.

I had a customer visit a few weeks back, who also happens to know a few other older racers I know . . . . they all raced together with Soper in minis years ago as he was 'climbing the ladder' They all share the same opinion of him, and it's not the same as Peters!
I could give you the quote I got from John Cleland after 'that' famous BTCC incident at the end of the '92 season but I couldn't possibly do so here! I certainly couldn't use it in my race report...
Old 3 Nov 2018, 13:51 (Ref:3860715)   #337
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

I don't personally know any of those involved and have never driven the circuit but it appears to me that the Cortina would have been moving quite a bit quicker than the Minis at that point and JO's move to the right would have been to pass the Minis before Woodcote or at least be on their right in the braking area. I can't see that he would have deliberately nudged the Mini at that point as the obvious result for himself was exactly as we could see - JO departing rapidly off the other side of the track.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3861816)   #338
hogmany
Rookie

hogmany should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

According to Motorsport mag it appears that Jackie Oliver has had enough of historic racing following a meeting with stewards following St Mary trophy race.
I think it is worth pointing out that any decision to penalise a driver is based on the Clerk of the Course weighing up of all the evidence available to him, and that opinion is, unlike a court of law, based on the balance of probability and the clerk's experience.

At the Goodwood meetings (both Members and Revival) I believe that they Clerk is also assisted by a former driver to offer his opinion on driving standards and they have access to all the TV footage, not just what is broadcast. (Looking back at my programme I believe it was Martin Donnelly at this years event). The clerk would almost certainly have included a chat with the driver, giving the chance for him to put his point of view about what happened before the decision was taken.

Any decision the clerk makes about driving standards can then be appealed, by the driver, to the Stewards of the Meeting (who include an experienced/licensed MSA Steward as well as two other Stewards) as well as the aggrieved party within the appropriate time limits. In this case it would appear that not only the Clerk thought the penalty was appropriate but the Stewards as well.

Now I haven't seen the incident in question, so can't comment on that, but it does seem like the driver would have had a fair chance to explain his side of things.
Old 8 Nov 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3861820)   #339
midgetman
Veteran

Uh-huh, I'd agree with that. He will have been given fair chance to say his piece twice over.

Old 9 Nov 2018, 17:11 (Ref:3862019)   #340
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I could give you the quote I got from John Cleland after 'that' famous BTCC incident at the end of the '92 season but I couldn't possibly do so here! I certainly couldn't use it in my race report...
John, I saw the incident, and I interviewed John Cleland after the race, he had no doubts about the intention of his opponent, and I totally agreed with his view. I don't think I was able to use all of the interview on air.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3862022)   #341
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Pot, kettle and black are the words that came to mind when I saw his comments.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3862161)   #342
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
John, I saw the incident, and I interviewed John Cleland after the race, he had no doubts about the intention of his opponent, and I totally agreed with his view. I don't think I was able to use all of the interview on air.

Oh JC was right, just in very colourful Gaelic (I think that's what it was!).
Old 10 Nov 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3862174)   #343
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Not about the incident and if we're talking about the same race, how do you explain Soper joining the leading pack after spinning and with a damaged car? First suggestion is: he found a short cut, second: he was driving on another planet. Again, nothing to see with what happened later.

Anyway, should the CoC have sanctioned beyond limits racing, very few would have seen the checkered flag, dont you think so?

Bob, I was asking to John if Harvey got a patent for his brand new park Insist system… One client then: Toyota !
Old 11 Nov 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3862345)   #344
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Not about the incident and if we're talking about the same race, how do you explain Soper joining the leading pack after spinning and with a damaged car? First suggestion is: he found a short cut, second: he was driving on another planet. Again, nothing to see with what happened later.

Anyway, should the CoC have sanctioned beyond limits racing, very few would have seen the checkered flag, dont you think so?

Bob, I was asking to John if Harvey got a patent for his brand new park Insist system… One client then: Toyota !
Soper did a similar amazing drive earlier in the season. I think it was Donington and he spun at the Old Hairpin ending up way down the field if not completely last. He managed to get back to second or third if I remember correctly.