Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 4 Nov 2004, 12:34 (Ref:1144683)   #1
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peugeot and Citroen to pull out of WRC after 2005

Little further information available as yet, but Peugeot Citroen have announced they will withdraw from the WRC after the 2005 season.

What does this mean for WRC?
Old 4 Nov 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1144697)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder if these two decisions were made independently?

It's terrible news for the series, especially coming so soon after Ford decided to stay. I suspect the series will become a haven for privateers, perhaps moving back towards its roots, as Ford and Suburu alone won't be able to support the series single-handedly.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1144722)   #3
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
Roundy Mooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope PSA are not deciding to make another disasterous atempt at circut racing. Rallying is what the are good at and what they should stick at just like Ford.
They have got brillant exposure from the WRC over the last couple of years so I can't see why they would make this decision on a marketing basis.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1144739)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford have committed to the future, as have Mitsubishi.

It's not a disaster.

Back in the mid nineties there were times when Toyota and Subaru were the only fully-competitive full programmes and the series didn't fall apart.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1144781)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While it may not be a disaster, it certainly is a shocker (to me, at least)! I did not see this one coming.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 15:15 (Ref:1144794)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From autosport.com

French car manufacturers Peugeot and Citroen will both withdraw from the World Rally Championship at the end of 2005, according to a statement from parent company PSA Peugeot Citroen on Thursday

PSA blamed tougher conditions in the car market for the decision, which it claims will enable it to significantly cut its sporting budget and allow it to evaluate new projects beyond 2005.

It always seems to happen to the WRC, as one team commits others leave. It all adds power to Max Mosleys argument about car makers pulling out of series, when it no longer suits, or in PSA'a case the tought car market tightens the purse strings.

It certainly galvanises the mind on the fact the motor sport is not any car makers core business, it's all marketing 'frippery' they can do without when things get tough. Not that this has ever been mentioned before...
Old 4 Nov 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1144803)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi and Skoda are enough to sustain the WRC, but the PSA decision is very disappointing. Inexplicable, too, as they are at the height of the powers. Citroen are double champions, and the troublesome Peugeot 307 is improving. Oh dear.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 16:09 (Ref:1144830)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe they feel they've got as much marketing kudos form the series as they ever will, having both won championships?
Old 4 Nov 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1144858)   #9
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi and Skoda are enough to sustain the WRC,...
With Suzuki joining in 2006 and talk of other car companies looking at joining the championship in the furture. I don't think Peugeot and Citroen leaving will harm the championship.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 17:24 (Ref:1144900)   #10
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the driver front, doesnt it leave ford in a strong position now. Marko Martin was meant to bbe joinging Puegeot, and francois Duval to citroen. If i was those to id stay at Ford.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1144906)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Martin is still going to Peugeot, but Ford are hoping to keep Duval.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 17:42 (Ref:1144927)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No way will MArtin go to Peugeot now as there is also no0 way they are gonna spend a ton of money developing the car are they!
Big shock to me as I thought they would both stay in for a while longer well at least one of them.
Marcus and Se are gonna be on the market then!
As others say, it won't be a disaster, there have been worse times, ion fact it might be forthe good and let a few more manufactureres in if the FIA continue to try and drive home measrures to cut budgets. But they have to do it in line with the teams as a teams budget will stay the same and they will just spend it on the cars instead of the logistics.
Sad day though no doubt for WRC, the French teams bring a certain tyoe of professionalism that had been missing from the championship
Old 4 Nov 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1144970)   #13
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Citroën would not probably develop their C4 either, just for a half or so season, it would go straight to museum without seeing any competition at all.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 4 Nov 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1145068)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't see this one coming and it quite a shock. The same company running to sperate programs is very expensive and I am suprised that at least of the marques is not staying the championship.

Remember that it is rummoured the Renualt might be coming out to play too.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1145148)   #15
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also aren't Huyandi coming back to the party?
Old 4 Nov 2004, 22:31 (Ref:1145167)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC
Also aren't Huyandi coming back to the party?
Yes they are, I think they are planning to return in 2006.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 22:34 (Ref:1145170)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'll believe that when I see it.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1145171)   #18
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always found it strange that a company would have 2 of there brands in 1 series. I always thought Peugeot would pull the plug after Citroen got into winning ways, but to pull both.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 23:08 (Ref:1145202)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Especially after wanting to introduce the C4 in mid 2005. Let's wait and see. It all looked set for Ford to leaver WRC, and well, they aren't.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 23:34 (Ref:1145216)   #20
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
PSA blamed tougher conditions in the car market for the decision, which it claims will enable it to significantly cut its sporting budget and allow it to evaluate new projects beyond 2005.
Its the Opel story all over, in 2001 opel had a hard year with car sales, its fresh facelift on the vectra was selling ok but the brand hit build quality and mechanical and electrical problems.

The current citroen range is a disaster at the moment. since the change over to Multi-Plex Wireing systems on the citroens, the c3 and c5's are prone to electrical problems at the moment, the new bsi body computer boxes for controling the wiring causing most of the problems (box developed by siemens). Owning a C3 1.4 HDI myself i know from expirence that reliablity and build quality are not of a standard enherint to the brand before the C models started.

Peugeot have a simular storys, with only the new 407 being a problem free model, the 206cc and 206 are great sellers but are due to finish up soon to be replaced by the 1007, the problems lay in the other peugoet's like the 307, the most recent problems with the 307's are:

After locking the car on the button the car will re-open itself after 5 mins, a programming fault still left for the dealers to sort out untill the new facelift model

Double millage was also another problem, an error in the dash computer ment that millage was being clocked up wrongly (i think it was for every 1 acctual mile 2.4 miles were put on the clock).

Other minor problems with the Automatic Lights and Wipers, sensors failing after only a few months on some 307's.

The problems with peugeot and citroen is that most of their cars are based on the same platform (infact built in the same complex in paris). so they inherint simular problems, citroen and peugeot dealers are dieing of death over here.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 5 Nov 2004, 10:17 (Ref:1145417)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
After the news of Ford and I thought that it would be good for keeping (both!) the Frenchies. Then we lose both.

Will this mean a reconsideration of S2000/ Ford were the only manufacturer keen on this. Although on the other hand Subaru were the least keen.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 10:21 (Ref:1145420)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And there will be many established good quality drivers available for not many good quality drives.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 12:13 (Ref:1145483)   #23
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
they will have to fight to get Loeb

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Nov 2004, 02:31 (Ref:1145916)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
Especially after wanting to introduce the C4 in mid 2005. Let's wait and see. It all looked set for Ford to leaver WRC, and well, they aren't.
The difference is though that Ford never came out with an announcement that they were leaving.

The pair of them are gone, once the decision is made, even though over a year in advance, they won't go back. It will be the same with Opel in the DTM, and with Chevrolet in Indycar racing.

Lets hope this does lead though to some changes and the Super 2000 Rally formula. Something needs to be done.