Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Oct 2019, 03:22 (Ref:3936160)   #211
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
It would be shocking if they're not considering combined GT3-GT4 grids. That works in British GT and in World Challenge Asia.

That might also simplify the amazingly confusing class/regional championship structure.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 10:28 (Ref:3936207)   #212
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
It would be shocking if they're not considering combined GT3-GT4 grids. That works in British GT and in World Challenge Asia.

That might also simplify the amazingly confusing class/regional championship structure.
I do like this idea. It always allowed for interesting racing back before they split the grids.

I imagine they wont do it because of the different wishes of the Sprint / Sprint X competitors.

Sprint brings in a solid grid, Sprint X not so much. So maybe the winning formula is GT3 + Sprint X GT4, and keep Sprint as a separate grid and calendar.

That way, GT4 competitors could pick between being part of the main race as the second class, or running in the support race for outright wins.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3936256)   #213
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post

SprintX regionals are going away for next season, so that's good.

If the series cannot attract enough GT3 cars to the grid, I'd be happy to see them combine w/ GT4 SprintX teams. Would be a lot of fun again.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3936276)   #214
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Hedlund should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Teams and drivers don't want GT3/GT4 combined (from either paddock).

Not saying that's a reason not to do it, but that's the current state of affairs.

-mike
Old 22 Oct 2019, 19:29 (Ref:3936286)   #215
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Teams and drivers don't want GT3/GT4 combined (from either paddock).

Not saying that's a reason not to do it, but that's the current state of affairs.

-mike
Is it a speed differential thing? They do seem to be a good bit apart at Road Atlanta at least and could see it being more of a problem then benefit to the racing.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 25 Oct 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3936771)   #216
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebroadrun96 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Also hidden in the announcement was a drop from 7 Rounds to 6. Not clear if that means they aren’t going to include the 8 hours of Indy in this series after all, or whether they are dropping COTA

I hope this transition back to pro-am focus allows for more entries, I’m honestly not sure what the impact will be although surely they wouldn’t do it without enough team input...
Well it appears the change was to drop COTA and not the 8 Hour.

GT World Challenge America Schedule:
May. 16-17 — Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
Jun. 6-7 — Virginia International Raceway
Aug. 8-9 — Sonoma Raceway
Aug. 29-30 — Road America
Sep. 19-20 — Watkins Glen
Oct. 3-4 — Indianapolis 8 Hours
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 15:15 (Ref:3937490)   #217
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spoke with Mike Hedlund, Ryan Dalziel, Kyle Marcelli, and Mark Miller about the 2020 changes. See what they had to say: https://www.facebook.com/notes/north...6385017814435/
Old 30 Oct 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3937633)   #218
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Is it a speed differential thing? They do seem to be a good bit apart at Road Atlanta at least and could see it being more of a problem then benefit to the racing.
Speed differential in itself is not a problem from what I understand, in fact it makes passing easier and the races safer. It becomes of course a problem when it becomes too big or - and I think that is the issue with combined GT3/GT4 fields - when the two classes make their lap times in drastically different ways, i.e. the GT3s are fast through the corners but relatively slow on the straights, whereas the GT4s are the other way around. What this leads to is a situation where the GT3s can't pass the GT4s easily on the straights and get held up when they run into them in the corners. This will, of course, compell GT3 drivers to attempt high risk passes in the corners so as to lose not too much time.

The smart thing for multiclass racing would be a combination of GT2 and GT4 cars (both with relatively low aero) - or if you want to include GT3s - the creation of a GT3U class that follows the same aero regs as GT3, but has to make do with less horsepower, e.g. by limiting engine displacement to 3.5l or something like that. Thus the traditional GT3 cars could easily and safely pass the GT3U-cars on the straights. I believe IMSA GTO/U back in the 80s and 2000s GT1/2 used to work like that.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 03:25 (Ref:3939353)   #219
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Looks like Austin is back on, and Indy has changed to a non-points race.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 04:28 (Ref:3939363)   #220
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Looks like Austin is back on, and Indy has changed to a non-points race.
Yeah, it seemed strange to require Indy within a sprint season. And with it at the end I think you'd have seen teams skip with "budget" problems. With Penske ownership I think we'll see the race go on and possibly get enough publicity at the track with other events to come back in 21 but long term? Maybe not so much.

https://sportscar365.com/sro/world-c...rica-schedule/

New schedule:

2020 GT World Challenge America Calendar:
March 7-8 — Circuit of The Americas
May. 16-17 — Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
Jun. 6-7 — Virginia International Raceway
Aug. 8-9 — Sonoma Raceway
Aug. 29-30 — Road America
Sep. 19-20 — Watkins Glen
Oct. 3-4 — Indianapolis 8 Hours (Non-Points)
Old 12 Nov 2019, 21:15 (Ref:3940258)   #221
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Captain has mentioned the possibility of a 24-hour endurance race at Indianapolis.