Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old Yesterday, 16:55 (Ref:3869216)   #1981
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Hes only taking one seat out of 30, still got plenty of room for top class drivers in the series
Old Yesterday, 17:04 (Ref:3869219)   #1982
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a thought out of the blue

could it be Rob Austin at AMD ?

Last edited by porsche962fan; Yesterday at 17:18.
Old Yesterday, 17:10 (Ref:3869222)   #1983
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nicholas Hamilton is a good bloke, and not the worst driver out there, just as the same can be said about Mark Howard, Stewart Lines or countless other gentleman drivers.

It does frustrate me a bit that he'll be on the grid over quicker guys who don't have the budget or marketability, but that's motorsport. We've all been involved for long enough to know that talent is (more often than not) not enough to secure a place on the grid. Especially in a series like the BTCC.
Old Yesterday, 18:00 (Ref:3869230)   #1984
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
hamilton has as much right to be on the grid as anyone else.
I wouldn't dispute that. It's not the first time, and certainly won't be the last time, we have a driver with more budget than talent. I don't really have a problem with that - it's just the reality of motorsports these days.

My issue is not with Hamilton being on the grid, it's with the idea that anyone seriously considers him a 'big name'.
Old Yesterday, 18:07 (Ref:3869234)   #1985
Evantra
Racer

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I wouldn't dispute that. It's not the first time, and certainly won't be the last time, we have a driver with more budget than talent. I don't really have a problem with that - it's just the reality of motorsports these days.

My issue is not with Hamilton being on the grid, it's with the idea that anyone seriously considers him a 'big name'.
I was talking in terms of the team owners - who, in terms or publicity, budget and huge sponsors, would definitely consider him a big name.

Like others have said, just a shame that this comes above race results.

Back on track, we have a double AmD announcement due next week apparently.
Old Yesterday, 18:41 (Ref:3869248)   #1986
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I was talking in terms of the team owners - who, in terms or publicity, budget and huge sponsors, would definitely consider him a big name.

How many other drivers can claim that their multiple WDC brother dropped in to watch him race in the BTCC? That happened a couple of years ago at Croft, when LH helicoptered in after the end of race 1 and flew out again before the start of race 3.

Some of that "glitter" rubs off on sponsors and the team, and is something that no other team in the BTCC will benefit from.
Old Yesterday, 20:42 (Ref:3869265)   #1987
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

Like others have said, just a shame that this comes above race results.

Back on track, we have a double AmD announcement due next week apparently.
We'll have an announcement from a different team this week.
Old Yesterday, 21:58 (Ref:3869289)   #1988
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
We'll have an announcement from a different team this week.
Driver? Sponsor? #HARDs new 2019 model year bobble hats?

Maybe PMR?
Old Yesterday, 22:10 (Ref:3869296)   #1989
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Driver? Sponsor? #HARDs new 2019 model year bobble hats?

Maybe PMR?

There will be something said on twitter, and i think we will hear something else before Christmas and again in the new year, most likely on a week day and involving cars, drivers and sponsors, at least one of these announcements will provoke a conversation while another may be underwhelming
Old Yesterday, 22:34 (Ref:3869300)   #1990
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mmmmmmm... Could Jason Plato be driving an FWD bobble hat? Will a BMR Subaru become the new Prime Minister? Will Kent be annexed by Mr Putin thus it won't be BTCC anymore but RBTCC? Have the recently unemployed Daleks decided to pilot race cars for a living? What is the record for daft questions in a single post on this thread? And who is Hong Kong Phooey?
Old Yesterday, 22:52 (Ref:3869305)   #1991
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RCIBRacing (which was the MGs last season, and I presume is now the AmD-prepped Hondas) has been tweeting about Aiden Moffatt today.
Old Yesterday, 22:56 (Ref:3869308)   #1992
Northern Monkey
Rookie

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
RCIBRacing (which was the MGs last season, and I presume is now the AmD-prepped Hondas) has been tweeting about Aiden Moffatt today.
RCIB have sponsored Aiden for the last few years
Old Yesterday, 23:49 (Ref:3869314)   #1993
MotorsportMechanic86
Rookie

MotorsportMechanic86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
There will be something said on twitter, and i think we will hear something else before Christmas and again in the new year, most likely on a week day and involving cars, drivers and sponsors, at least one of these announcements will provoke a conversation while another may be underwhelming
Someone has a major case of I know something you don't know!!
Old Today, 01:24 (Ref:3869324)   #1994
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

understand why you'd feel that way, though he's arguably a big name for a lot of casual spectators (who, being realistic, make up a solid percentage of any touring car crowd). whilst your good self and many of the others posting on this thread may not be swayed by a famous brother - the biggest active name in global motorsport, arguably - it does bring him attention. and his story of hard work and overcoming his disability resonates with a lot of people. a lot of folk will root for him - perhaps not as their cap or fleece of choice, but they'll look out for him, want to hear from him and want to meet him.

that makes him a big name, i guess.