Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 26 May 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1921488)   #151
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Nichols
And here's something you need to remember. In order to survive and prosper, Sports Car Racing needs more than just the anorak audience. If every single subscriber to this thread AND to DSC ALL watched every minute of every race it STILL wouldn't be enough to make M&M consider taking it again next year.
Just a quick question regarding the tv coverage, how are the viewing figures progressing on Men and Motors? I've often wondered just how many people actually do tune into the races, hopefully it is enough to keep the Men and Motors management happy. Over the last 3 seasons we have had 3 differnt TV providers and it would be nice to have a TV station that continues to provide the great level of support Men and Motors have done this year.
Old 26 May 2007, 14:12 (Ref:1921609)   #152
Richard Nichols
Rookie

Richard Nichols should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely right. M&M have put a lot of effort into this coverage - 43 hours of LIVE television requires a considerable budget and that's before they begin to promote it as they have been doing.

It would be nice to make them feel it was worth it, so if you have a complaint about - for example - dogs, complain in DROVES if you'd be so kind. Then they'll know you're paying attention and you care about something, even if it is only runaway canines.

If you just want to witter on boringly about how you and your friends are the only people who properly understand sports car racing, stick to DSC where you can be assured of a sympathetic audience, people who believe that Stefan Ratel invested millions in this championship for the sole benefit of 800 REAL afficianados. That's right - you guys with masses of disposable income.

Or you could face facts and recognise that 800 fans don't pay for lunch in the GT3 hospitality tent each weekend, and those awful lads you seem to despise so much for being interested in the series but not expert on it are the target audience and if there's enough of them watching it will keep sports car racing alive on TV so you can go on comparing chassis numbers with your mates.
Old 26 May 2007, 14:20 (Ref:1921617)   #153
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Am I to take it by your response Mr Nichols that the viewing figures are so far pretty good?
Old 26 May 2007, 15:49 (Ref:1921657)   #154
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If you just want to witter on boringly about how you and your friends are the only people who properly understand sports car racing, stick to DSC where you can be assured of a sympathetic audience, people who believe that Stefan Ratel invested millions in this championship for the sole benefit of 800 REAL afficianados. That's right - you guys with masses of disposable income.

Or you could face facts and recognise that 800 fans don't pay for lunch in the GT3 hospitality tent each weekend, and those awful lads you seem to despise so much for being interested in the series but not expert on it are the target audience and if there's enough of them watching it will keep sports car racing alive on TV so you can go on comparing chassis numbers with your mates.
As inappropriate I found DSC's comment on your commentary I also find this disrespectfull and completely unnecessary. What point was it you wanted to make with this insult to the people this forum? I buy your point that the diehards aren't the core of your audience, but that doesn't mean you can disrespect, disregard and insult them, or us actually, like this.
Old 26 May 2007, 16:35 (Ref:1921678)   #155
Richard Nichols
Rookie

Well that's an interesting point Bramzel.

Given that the only reason I'm posting in this forum at all is becuase people on here felt that thy had the right to express disrespectful opinions about me personally with complete immunity, I regard it quite appropriate to express my own opinions with complete candour.

And I believe that any disrespect I have shown applies not to the real fans or even their degree of enthusiasm and knowledge, but merely to their belief in themselves as self-appointed arbiters of what is and isn't good taste, good for sportscar racing or good journalism.
Old 26 May 2007, 16:38 (Ref:1921679)   #156
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
If you dont like it here Mr Nichols I am sure nobody here is forcing you to stay.
Old 26 May 2007, 16:44 (Ref:1921685)   #157
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well that's an interesting point Bramzel.

Given that the only reason I'm posting in this forum at all is becuase people on here felt that thy had the right to express disrespectful opinions about me personally with complete immunity, I regard it quite appropriate to express my own opinions with complete candour.

And I believe that any disrespect I have shown applies not to the real fans or even their degree of enthusiasm and knowledge, but merely to their belief in themselves as self-appointed arbiters of what is and isn't good taste, good for sportscar racing or good journalism.
If you would have bothered to read the replies properly you would have noticed that there were plenty of people who did not at all support DSC's point of view in that matter. You are generalizing here in a big way, and that is a negative thing to do. Also I don't think it's wise to respond to disrespect with even more disrespect. That doesn't solve a thing, that only makes it much worse.
Old 26 May 2007, 17:28 (Ref:1921706)   #158
Richard Nichols
Rookie

Fair point Bramzel.

I still believe that there are plenty of people on here who need to think a lot more deeply and clearly about what they are saying and why they are saying it. I'm only here to defend myself, after it was drawn to my attenion that people were making derogatory remarks based on hearsay and half-truth...

Last edited by Richard Nichols; 26 May 2007 at 17:30. Reason: spelling
Old 26 May 2007, 23:38 (Ref:1921831)   #159
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
There's a lot of people on TV who need to "think a lot more deeply and clearly about what they are saying and why they are saying it" .... mate . And im not talking about recent events or trying to label anybody inparticular , ok ?

This is all sparked off about a stray dog ..... jesus , whats the world comeing too ? Im just glad that the blasted thing didn't get hit ..... we would never hear the end of it then !!!

Ive been interested in sportscar racing since 1986 ..... im not involved in it personaly , but i do know what its all about , and im allowed to make my opinion known on this forum , my "opinion" that is . God knows , that i can come out with some crap too !!!

I love my sportscar racing , enough that ive "never" changed my alegiance to any other form of racing ..... How many years have you been "interested" not involved with sporstcar racing ?

Please Mr.nichols ..... respect my opinion as i respect yours . I didnt dis you but it does seem that you in some way dis me . I cant speak for others , its just a feeling that i have at present . Im also ****ed off with other comments from other so called party's in the business .....

Ive read your past posts and i do agree with principly .....

But , you slag off anoraks , and chassis number lovers ..... well thats crap . Its part of my interest in sportscars ..... if you went back to the days of the 956/962 and sat around a bench for a few hours drinking beer and having a laugh in a field at Le Mans and met like folk , you would be suitably impressed by the information you might gather from discussions like that .....

This is a very very sad thread ..... would some moderator please close it down ..... enough has been said to convay the fact that there is some kinda war going on between M&M and DSC ..... let them flake it out on their own forum's .

Good night

Last edited by The Badger; 26 May 2007 at 23:47.
Old 27 May 2007, 06:50 (Ref:1921887)   #160
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't we all have a nice cup of tea and things will be alright...
Old 27 May 2007, 07:43 (Ref:1921907)   #161
Richard Nichols
Rookie

Well that's a good idea. I'll pour...

Just for the record, I too have kipped in cars/fields etc at Le Mans, back in the days when that nice Mr Bell was winning everything, before that I even watched the BOAC at Brands Hatch from an assortment of spectator vantage points - now in THOSE days, men were men and the old-age pension was ten bob a week.

I've been professionally involved with sports car racing long enough to remember everybody ignoring the funny-looking Schumacher guy in the Mercedes junior team because Heinz-Harald Frentzen was so much faster.

But that's hardly the point, is it?

The point is that a very small group of individuals profess themselvs to be expert and then feel they have a right to sit in judgement on everyone else around them - and it is that small group I had in mind when using the term anoraks. If any of you who have been following this thread and are just dedicated fans - let's say you're the hardcore fans if you like - if you have felt yourselves included under the umbrella of anorakism and thereby dissed, please accept an apology.

However if you are one of the others...
Old 27 May 2007, 09:21 (Ref:1921937)   #162
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
This is a very very sad thread ..... would some moderator please close it down ..... enough has been said to convay the fact that there is some kinda war going on between M&M and DSC ..... let them flake it out on their own forum's .

Good night
I decided last night prior to your post that the thread would probably just fizzle out and die. Seems I was wrong!

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this (frankly baffling) episode, Mr Nichols has unfortunately picked up his bone again this morning, even though others appear to have buried their's.

So, enough's enough, thread closed!
Closed Thread