Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:37 (Ref:1033228)   #51
Artie
Rookie

Artie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh its rumoured that Mazda will have a BTCC entry next year with the FW Champ driving it?
Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1033231)   #52
Artie
Rookie

I reckon Tim Harvey should have joined those girls on their early morning jogs and exercise programmes, looking a bit tubby there Tim for a top class racing driver?
Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1033261)   #53
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Ouch. haha! Can't argue with his past results though, can you?

Where did the rumour of the Mazda BTCC entry come from? Never heard that one before? :confused:
Old 11 Jul 2004, 17:09 (Ref:1033277)   #54
Artie
Rookie

He is doing very well in the Porsche but so he bloody should.
Regarding the Mazda..theres a dubious connection with Mr Firman senior, now ex Van Diemen, and the new Super Mazda Series USA which also whispers development of a GT? But.....its a long line of whispers, no doubt chinese?? But spot the connection with the FW championship leader??!!
Old 11 Jul 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1033344)   #55
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt a mazda btcc entry will come off, if it does, I would expect a two car effort with an established top-line driver in one of the cars. Today's programme did little to dispel my doubts about the series though.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:05 (Ref:1033364)   #56
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the TV programme was particularly nasty - especially for Katherine Legge.

As for the "rumoured" Mazda BTCC entry is this something someone dreamed up because VBH mentioned something about the winner being in Touring cars next year. Thought all that was a bit wishful thinking on the TV's part. And if they even did enter, why wouldn't they use a proven(female) competitor like Susie Stoddart?

That's what I find funny too. The TV programme today made it out as if women don't have a chance in motorsport. Don't think the MSA ban women from having licences?

Last edited by touringlegend; 11 Jul 2004 at 19:07.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1033405)   #57
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
got to say, I can only agree with the comments on here.

contrived is the key word...

just look at the time sheets for the races so far, two things stand out:

1) Half the 'winners' just can't drive for toffee
2) the ones that can are being 'slowed down' to give the others a chance

are they really trying to tell us that these 16 are the best of 10,000?

That just can't be right? I have seen more femail talent on your average trackday
Old 12 Jul 2004, 07:00 (Ref:1033744)   #58
qaz
Rookie

qaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whats all this nonsence about fire fighting and the like to build up team spirit.thought racing was about individual against individual.thought programme was pants.should be interesting next week when we see 1st round at oulton.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 07:11 (Ref:1033750)   #59
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found it funny that those who have interesting jobs were listed as "blah blah, Dolphin Trainer", and those with "normal" jobs were listed as "blah blah, Manchester/Birmingham/Cornwall/etc" Also can't believe that the official FW forum is devoid of any discussion on the programme by any FW members?
Old 12 Jul 2004, 07:20 (Ref:1033758)   #60
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they are not allowed too dicuss it Rache?
Old 12 Jul 2004, 07:26 (Ref:1033761)   #61
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The program was much as I expected it to be, though the water tank and fire fighting did seem a bit out of place.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1033788)   #62
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree there Kevin.Not relevant,and the lady who is a RAF pilot would have had previous experience of that sort of thing-unfair?
Other observations;everyone seen on screen was white,and with possibly a couple of exceptions atractive.
And what happened to Katherine Legge was weird.Dragged into the office,I thought,what's she doing there,she's an experienced driver? Turned out she was the instructor being sacked for upsetting some of the poor girls by being too tough!!
BTW: Its on again tonight at midnight for anyone that missed it.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 09:05 (Ref:1033842)   #63
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they introducd the fitness tests to get rid of all the quick grannies, perhaps they thought all the quick fatties would sink. I can't work out why they set fire to them, probably all part of the smoke screen that has allowed the selection to not be based on speed alone.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1033854)   #64
superMINI
Racer

superMINI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Katherine Legge thing was amusing in a I shouldn't laugh at someone elses misfortune, but I will kinda way. A bit sick of them to sack her on TV, but I thought after I sat and watched her rub out one of time harvey's racing lines on the whiteboard and draw in her her own, behind his back while he was giving instructions at a FW briefing that she had pushed her luck too far this time.

She was slated by contestants for being a mean cow but when she took me out I found her main failing was trying to impress me by driving like a lunatic and then looking over for my (non) reaction. Then pulling the steering wheel away from me while I was trying to drive. However, while she shouldn't have been an instructor in the first place, it was a little unnecessary to sack her on the programme.

Another few points:

one of the contestants used to be a man – ? hello ? – smacks of Big Brother tactics

when do we get to see any actual racing?

The woman crying because she already had a licence - hilarious!

How pally are Harvey and Glew?

Why did they ruin it with all this single mother social worker aren't we so very PC ****? Looks to me like talent was the last criteria required.

Autosport printed an excellent letter a few weeks ago pointing out just how dismal FW is considering its almost promising beginnings.

Last edited by superMINI; 12 Jul 2004 at 09:21.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 09:49 (Ref:1033880)   #65
Tainan
Racer

United Kingdom
Sussex
Tainan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't believe how many times the instructors were grabbing the wheel from the passenger seat. Do they really expect to control a slide from that position?
Old 12 Jul 2004, 10:11 (Ref:1033905)   #66
Artie
Rookie

Many girls entered the competition having previously held a licence of one sort or another.

My licence was declared on the application so theoretically the my application should have gone in the NO pile whilst shortlisting but it wasnt, I was pulled right through to the final eliminations week having been assured the licence situation was fine as it had never been used.

The public eviction was a genuine shock and Tim Harveys` comments ruthlessly inaccurate.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1033927)   #67
Keith Wheeler
Rookie

Keith Wheeler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone used the word 'contrived' in an earlier post, and that about sums the whole thing up.
This is a reality TV programme, using the race series as the 'goal', with the added value of some car sales for Mazda.
What a shame that the money wasted on this could not have been better spent on an initiative to provide a motorsport experience for a far greater number of women.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:17 (Ref:1034076)   #68
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I found it an interesting and moderatly entertaining little program. Far to many Tantrums though, but i guess that is what spices up reality tv like this. To be fair to the girls, i met a couple of them when i was testing at Oulton Park and found them very nice. Not at all as the program portrays. As to the racing , i think they need to be given a chance to find there feet. What did supprise me was that they were really thrown in at the deep end with very little instruction.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:31 (Ref:1034096)   #69
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It did seem to be a cross between Big Brother (with transexuals,pole dancers,etc) and the Weakest Link (you are eliminated, there's the door and Tim doing his Anne Robinson impressions).

I think the programme has also damaged Katherine Legge's reputation, what if her sponsors saw the programme, they cannot of been too impressed.

I think the only company/person to come out of the programme with any credit was Baker's Coaches, loads of free advertising!
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1034111)   #70
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I was quite pleasantly surprised by the programme. They seem quite happy to let events speak for themselves, with no attempts to hype things up to make 'good television'. The real test comes next week - it's going to take a good editor to make those 'races' at Oulton look interesting.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1034149)   #71
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by superMINI
[B]She was slated by contestants for being a mean cow but when she took me out I found her main failing was trying to impress me by driving like a lunatic and then looking over for my (non) reaction. Then pulling the steering wheel away from me while I was trying to drive.
I had Katherine as my instructor at the initial assessment day at Snett and again at Cadwell during the skid training. I found her friendly, helpful and encouraging at all times, no wheel-grabbing and no harsh words at all. I have heard alternate reasons about her departure from FW and if they are true then I can understand her attitude towards some of the girls she had to assess....I agree though not very fair to show what they did on TV about her leaving.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 13:26 (Ref:1034153)   #72
DanaM
Rookie

DanaM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Woman has certainly caused a stir in the forums! I saw the prog after the BGP and thought I should apply - it seemed like a good way to have a go - and quickly! I haven't changed my mind even after reading all the above - did I miss something?? Looks to me like good racing fun, without the time-consuming search for money - at my age I don't have that much time!!
I'll hope to be there next year!
Old 12 Jul 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1034479)   #73
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think I have laughed so much at the FW programme!

I can just see Williams sending Monty and Ralf of into a burning building then a sinking helicopter to help them work better together That would be a hoot!

Frank: Wheres Ralf?
Monty: Thought he was already out <cue smug grin>

I did however think what they did with Katherine Legge was well harsh. OK, they got rid of her for some reason but just say that she had left the competition for another reason, not publicly humilate her on TV which could seriously damage her career. Shame on you FW.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1034483)   #74
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You have to say that whatever occured throughout the programme made for good TV entertainment for the (wo)man in the street... I'm not saying the whole thing was set up purely with that in mind though, like... hmmm.

I'm sure they'd not allow Artie to get as far as the selection week on purpose or that they made sure Katie was filmed getting sacked or anything like that... I'm sure that thought never entered into their heads

DanaM, good luck, be sure to come back and tell us about your experiences this time next year.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 21:53 (Ref:1034732)   #75
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The programme was entertaining, mildly - but I'll reserve judgement on the racing until I've seen more.