Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 Aug 2010, 22:28 (Ref:2743815)   #76
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman View Post
As someone who lived next to Mallory Park (and my parents still live there), and has attended events there for 25 years, the last 15 (approx) as a journalist and commentator, I find this remark belies a lack of understanding of the situation.

These local rules have been in place for many, many years. There is not, as far as I am aware, a big problem with locals moving in and demanding changes. The restrictions on the hours of use are a sensible compromise and is a good example of the circuit working well with the local community. I don't think restricting racing hours to 9.30am to 6pm on a Sunday are at all draconian - just perfectly reasonable.

From the village, the noise of the PA can often be heard above the racing, and can be more of a nuisance than cars or bikes going round. Hence the restriction on its use; again, perfectly sensible.

The bigger problem for local residents is the more recent add-ons to the circuit - the MotoX track, for example. And with this, I consider that they have a more reasonable cause for concern - as this is a new use of the land, and a lot more intrusive as far as noise is concerned.
Not a lack of understanding, i just dont see how you can move next to a race track and then moan. You no what its there for. I understand that it could become a pain as i no that mallory has ALOT of meeting in a year plus wednesday testing. Its just the same as people who live next to an airport and then moan about it!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 06:53 (Ref:2743926)   #77
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
B Friendly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a couple of things to say about some comments that have been put on this thread recently.

Firstly, to the people who have said that that the organisation / communication on this event was poor; why don't you actually make this known to the relevant people? Or get involved yourself by joining the orange brigade?

Secondly, with regards to the time taken to release the cars from dummy grid to the start line taking too long, dummy grid has no say in when cars can be released, race control has to make this decision. Dummy grid marshals have no say in this. Also, having been on startline many times, if the drivers didn't take forever to warm there tyres up surely that would help with the dummy grid to start line transition time?

Please don't take this the wrong way, i just want to say my piece!

Rant over!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 07:27 (Ref:2743933)   #78
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Friendly View Post
Also, having been on startline many times, if the drivers didn't take forever to warm there tyres up surely that would help with the dummy grid to start line transition time?
I agree with this in principle but everything has another perspective; would you feel happier arriving three abreast at 70mph into the first corner on cold tyres and brakes or warm ones?
Old 13 Aug 2010, 07:38 (Ref:2743935)   #79
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockHatch782 View Post
I agree with this in principle but everything has another perspective; would you feel happier arriving three abreast at 70mph into the first corner on cold tyres and brakes or warm ones?

I knew when i wrote that comment it would create interest!
How about a designated 'warming of tyres area'? Some drivers take a lot longer in warming tyres / brakes than others! At the ERC Lydden this year there was a dedicated area, i.e. not immediately after the drivers got released from the dummy grid.

In answer to your question though, i would be happy to be out racing!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 08:05 (Ref:2743942)   #80
Darren Wilcox
Rookie

Darren Wilcox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I knew when i wrote that comment it would create interest!
How about a designated 'warming of tyres area'? Some drivers take a lot longer in warming tyres / brakes than others! At the ERC Lydden this year there was a dedicated area, i.e. not immediately after the drivers got released from the dummy grid.

It would take a lot longer to clear up the carnage of 5 or 6 cars in the gravel than it does to warm tyres and brakes I'm afraid
Old 13 Aug 2010, 08:25 (Ref:2743949)   #81
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Wilcox View Post
It would take a lot longer to clear up the carnage of 5 or 6 cars in the gravel than it does to warm tyres and brakes I'm afraid
My answer to the question was that i'd be happy to be out racing. I'd be at the back of the pack, but would be racing. Hence why i put the rotating smily.

Last edited by B Friendly; 13 Aug 2010 at 08:29. Reason: Removal of sentence as i don't want to be the cause of arguments, so i'll keep opinions to myself
Old 13 Aug 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2744016)   #82
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_cooper View Post
Not a lack of understanding, i just dont see how you can move next to a race track and then moan. You no what its there for. I understand that it could become a pain as i no that mallory has ALOT of meeting in a year plus wednesday testing. Its just the same as people who live next to an airport and then moan about it!
But the whole point of my post was... there isn't a whole lot of moaning going on, because of the co-operation between the circuit and the local residents!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 17:21 (Ref:2744206)   #83
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, good answer! You take my point, though, as I take yours. The designated area would be a good idea, agreed, but difficult to control.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2744280)   #84
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to the rallycross................

Anyone intrested the Garage Awesome report from the day is now online...

check the report on: http://garageawesome.wordpress.com/