Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Jan 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3190143)   #1
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Veggie Le Mans - the FAQ's (Updated)

PLEASE NOTE - THIS THREAD HAS BEEN CREATED BY EXTRACTING THE USEFUL INFORMATION FROM THE ORIGINAL FAQ THREAD WHICH WAS FULL OF GENERAL CHAT AND VERY OUT OF DATE INFORMATION. IT IS NOT A 'CHAT' THREAD. PLEASE ONLY POST HERE IF YOU HAVE USEFUL INFORMATION TO SHARE ABOUT THE EVENT OR QUESTIONS THAT YOU NEED ANSWERS TO. MODERATORS WILL DELETE CHAT POSTS THAT COULD BE POSTED ELSEWHERE. WE WANT TO KEEP THIS THREAD AS USEFUL AS POSSIBLE FOR THOSE (CONTEMPLATING) ATTENDING LE MANS. THANKS - AYSE - 30.06.23

This is the thread where all questions concerning Le Mans, going to Le Mans and so on can be asked.

Everything from Le Mans Virgins (First timers, new as old members), Time-to-Time Visitors, Frequently Visitors, and those of us who just can't stop going, are welcome to post and answer questions. The point is to keep all questions and answers in one thread so it's easy to find information, and one can post what ever question one have, without having the fear of "hijacking" a thread, or spoiling the on going debate.

Again
ALL questions regarding Le Mans is welcome, don't hesitate - We don't bite (Le Mans does however, you'll never get away, once bitten )

To start of here are some basic information:
24 Hours Le Mans site:
http://www.lemans.org/en/races/24h/update.html
Great First Timer Guide, from one of our best members:
http://www.aysedasi.co.uk/2002/firsttimers.htm
Le Mans Map
Le Mans Map

Map over Le Mans (Circut de La Sarthe):

Last edited by Aysedasi; 30 Jun 2023 at 13:25.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 06:23 (Ref:3191647)   #2
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree - don't underestimate the distances - that map does not have a scale unfortunately.

I camped at Beausejour for the week, and some lessons I learned include:

* Check the bus timetables - one day it didn't run at all , and on Sunday when the traffic is gridlocked, guess how long the bus takes ... make sure you have good walking shoes .

* If camping, take tape to stake out your site, and don't pitch too close to the loos especially if rain is expected.

* You can't be running back and forth between the circuit and Beausejour - so be prepared to lug in what you need - camera, water, food, raincoat/umbrella, folding chair ... etc, and check you have everything before you set out.

* stay for the fireworks on Sunday night - not the official sort, but fun nevertheless, and you get to miss the world's biggest traffic jam on Sunday afternoon! Monday is much more civilised, and you can drive around most of the circuit to boot!!

One of lifes great experiences, hopefully I will be back before I cark it!!!!
Old 28 Jan 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3195444)   #3
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
remember a waterproof ticket lanyard. It offen gets wet at lemans.
Old 12 Feb 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3203421)   #4
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone know if any grandstands (other than Tribune 23) have disabled access?

Old 12 Feb 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3203746)   #5
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
There is at least one stand - and I'm afraid I can't remember which one off hand, which has a disabled section at the front. James will probably remember.....
Well, I think it's stand nr 13 Singher : http://ticket.lemans.org/plan-3d-spo...ri1039183.html
Old 13 Jan 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3353631)   #6
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regazzoni77 View Post
Hi, how far can you walk with a general admission ticket. Can you get down to the porsche curves?
I'm going for the first time this year, cant wait!!
Thanks
regazzoni77
Welcome to Ten-Tenths!
Well, it's hard to explain, so I've tried to map it:
http://goo.gl/maps/Edczm
You can't walk this exact route, but it gives you and idea.
It's the same on the opposite site of the track.
Then theres:http://goo.gl/maps/XHigp
At Arnarge Corner.
You can only stand at on the grass (sloped) South of the road.
And: http://goo.gl/maps/fe3Fr
Again, You can only stand at on the grass (sloped) South of the road.

Hope this helps

Ps. Yes, you can go and see the exit of the Porsche Curves (and I've heard also the start, but that is a long walk)
Old 14 Jan 2014, 13:19 (Ref:3353834)   #7
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...Y.kP4YaI9BXO2M
Hope this one works
Old 20 Jan 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3356255)   #8
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question about Arnage corner during qualifying. Will be staying up near Antares. Can I drive to the Arnage corner and find parking during one of the qualifying sessions? Or will it be better to walk/take the tram?
Old 20 Jan 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3356263)   #9
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
You can drive there. We do that on the thursday night training/qualifying. But it is a long drive.

You need to drive around the track and find the Arnage corner.
If you go down the road behind the main grandstands it is not hard to find. Just follow the road to Porsche corner roundabout. turn right and drive till you get to the first road on the left hand side. then follow traffic.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 14:58 (Ref:3356271)   #10
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post
Question about Arnage corner during qualifying. Will be staying up near Antares. Can I drive to the Arnage corner and find parking during one of the qualifying sessions? Or will it be better to walk/take the tram?
Follow the 'Chemin aux Boeufs' to go from Antares tramstation towards Beausejour, from there you can use this route to go to Arnage and Mulsanne:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...6&via=1,2&z=13
Old 20 Jan 2014, 15:51 (Ref:3356294)   #11
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
might be worth mentioning that the return journey from Mulsanne corner is not the reverse of that. Head south out of Mulsanne towards Tours and then follow the signs back via Monce en Belin.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 20 Jan 2014 at 15:52. Reason: but who knows - it may change again...
Old 2 Apr 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3387946)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledHighlander View Post
It will be my first Le Mans this year - question about grandstands.

Assuming you have a ticket for a grandstand (or even if you don't), in the middle of the night when most of them are empty can you get in to other grandstands?
During the race, in theory no. The grandstands are generally marshaled throughout the 24 hours and you should only be able to get into your own stand. Sometimes it's possible though if a marshal is on a pee-stop or inattentive.... If you don't have a ticket at all - then clearly no....
Old 13 Apr 2014, 15:32 (Ref:3391985)   #13
ExiledHighlander
Rookie

ExiledHighlander should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taking a bike.

Another question.

I’m taking a bike (push) with me - from what I’ve read a lot of people do because it seems to be the most reliable way to get out to Arnage and Mulsanne corners.

However, what is the infrastructure like for bikes. Can you take them inside the main enclosure area? Are there bike stands for locking up or do people just lock them to stands/fences/trees like Silverstone.

What about the campsites (Beausejour) - do they have secure bike stands?

Thanks.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3392414)   #14
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledHighlander View Post
I’m taking a bike (push) with me - from what I’ve read a lot of people do because it seems to be the most reliable way to get out to Arnage and Mulsanne corners.

However, what is the infrastructure like for bikes
Same as Silverstone - lock it to something secure. If you don't lock it you will lose it.

I don't know of any bike stands anywhere at the circuit or campsites.

A bike is a great tool for getting around though.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:00 (Ref:3392664)   #15
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I might be wrong. I don't think I've ever seen a bike stand at a race circuit? Granted it's not something I set out looking for.

The bike will be really useful for the trips to and from the campsite. And then off to Mulsanne/Arnage. Once you're actually into the main circuit area it probably becomes more of a hindrance. Difficult to ride much quicker than walking pace at times due to the amount of people.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 21:30 (Ref:3395980)   #16
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
For a return trip Le Mans to UK, Is possible to return on sunday or is a best option to stay camping sunday night and return on monday? I´m not sure if it is possible to make Le Mans-Caen/Calais/st Malo on sunday. Is my first time, so I have a lot of questions on the trip.

Thanks in advance
No real problem making it for a Sunday night return crossing. We've generally stayed somewhere en route (sometimes very loosely en route!) where we can have a soft bed, good shower, and very good dinner, but that's preference rather than necessity. We've made Montreuil-sur-Mer (under an hour from Calais) comfortably for dinner on the Sunday - and that was avoiding peages.

Planning on heading back to the tunnel on Sunday night this year so very much hoping it all hangs together!
Old 10 May 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3404501)   #17
stampchez
Rookie

stampchez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What exactly should we expect when it comes to the condition of the showers and toilets? We are camping in Bleu Nord but have seats in T18 which I understand has its own showers and bathrooms.
Old 10 May 2014, 17:35 (Ref:3404593)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Used the showers at the ACO stand during the classic Le mans a couple of times and they were OK
Old 11 May 2014, 06:57 (Ref:3404803)   #19
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Last couple of years showers were cleaned regularly on every site we camped, use flipflops though!
Old 11 May 2014, 07:09 (Ref:3404808)   #20
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
And I always take a big plastic bag with me to put in my clothes and towel, to keep it dry.
Old 24 May 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3409890)   #21
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quick Question. Do i need a digital radio or a normal FM one to pick up Radio Le Mans at the circuit ? I am going to buy a little radio but not sure which one to go for. Thanks.
Old 24 May 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3409893)   #22
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
Quick Question. Do i need a digital radio or a normal FM one to pick up Radio Le Mans at the circuit ? I am going to buy a little radio but not sure which one to go for. Thanks.
Radio Le Mans is only on FM (91.2 FM) and online. No digital radio.

And you can pick up FM radios at the track, RLM have authorized sellers that ramble up and down the village, the paddock and behind the grandstands.
Old 27 May 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3411346)   #23
Intimidator
Rookie

Italy
Intimidator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Arnage a good spot for taking pics? I used google street view and looks like the fence doesn't give you a chance.
And what about Mulsanne?
Old 27 May 2014, 15:00 (Ref:3411351)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Arnarge is the best place to take pictures at night, you are high up on the bank so overlook the fencing or you can get closer and put your lens through the fencing, and at night the brake discs glow lighting up the cars, a must place for photo taking
Old 27 May 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3411389)   #25
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Arnarge is the best place to take pictures at night, you are high up on the bank so overlook the fencing or you can get closer and put your lens through the fencing, and at night the brake discs glow lighting up the cars, a must place for photo taking
I can't agree with that Simon
I seriously think Arnage became one of the worst place to get pictures (unless you like fence pics)
"brake discs glow lighting up the cars" : not sure you'll get nice pictures (armco + fence + lack of lighning)
only decent pics I could do at dawn :
http://www.zoom-24.com/index.php/pho..._997_GT3_RSR_2
http://www.zoom-24.com/index.php/pho...sche_911_RSR_2