Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 28 Jan 2016, 17:21 (Ref:3608740)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Barney Hall

I heard of this news on MWM yesterday. It was a fitting and very respectful announcement, from a very appropriate place; the media tower at the Daytona Speedway.

I can't tell you when the first time I heard Barney as I recall at a very young age listening to MRN's coverage of NASCAR and I am sure he was involved.

Hall dead at 83 and I must say he had an excellent run and left his stamp on racing and the media cover racing.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3616511)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just heard Eli Gold give some heartfelt words for the man today. Even though he retired a couple of years ago, I think he couldn't stay away from the 500 and this may be the first Daytona 500 since MRN was founded without Barney. He certainly will be missed as I'll likely be listening to most of the race today in the radio.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 23:55 (Ref:3616620)   #3
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard that to. What a story how he got the job.
Big Bill France gave him $100 to call a race because
he liked Barney's voice. The rest is history. Some of my
favorite memories was listening to Barney call races
on the radio while I was working on my first car back
in the 70's.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 03:16 (Ref:3616640)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
I heard that to. What a story how he got the job.
Big Bill France gave him $100 to call a race because
he liked Barney's voice. The rest is history. Some of my
favorite memories was listening to Barney call races
on the radio while I was working on my first car back
in the 70's.
Glad you chimed in and that's good stuff.

For years I heard Hall and Company and never knew the names behind the voices. Once I figured it out (after the fog cleared a bit), I could put names on some of the greatest sports broadcasters this nation has ever known.

Barney would've loved today's race, I am sure of it.