Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 15 Aug 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2744767)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Spectators Killed in California

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10978569
Old 15 Aug 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2744792)   #2
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this article (in Dutch) claims the driver had to escape the people who survived, when they attacked him and threw rocks at him.

when you see the video CNN has on their website, people are so close to the road, if they'd stretch out their arms, they'd lose it. cars are coming by in close succesion. any loss is to be avoided, and I feel for the families and loved of the people who got killed, but: don't blame the driver for racing, blame yourselves for you reckless behaviour.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2744826)   #3
jonesi
Rookie

jonesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=330595
Old 15 Aug 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2744828)   #4
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why attack the driver ????

Massive shame. R.I.P to all that have died
Old 15 Aug 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2744835)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess physics was not these folks strong point. You can't stand 10 feet from flying trucks and not have a lot of risk. I can't blame the driver, people have to have some personal responsibility for their own actions.

Sad obviously but I hope there isn't a stupid witch hunt.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2744858)   #6
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally of Portugal 1986 all over again?

RIP to those who perished.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2744921)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Besides the indy racing league, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LbGL84MOHA
Old 15 Aug 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2744929)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Crazy redneck lunatics are lucky the truck following didn't wipe a few more out.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2744941)   #9
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
how close to the track are they!!!!!

They are stupid close
Old 16 Aug 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2745102)   #10
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is a bit (very) harsh calling them stupid. People have lost their lives. Of course it is so dangerous that it borders on negligent, that they are allowed to stand so close to the track, in dim light, with very short intervals between the cars. This should never have happened, which makes it all the more tragic, but to call them stupid is offensive.

Are you telling me that you wouldnt go quite a bit closer to the the track at rallycross if you could? Are you the same people who have an issue with health and safety and catch fences etc?! People seek thrills, which is why we participate in and spectate at the sport; the organisers (or in this case lack thereof) are the ones who have to strike a balance between punter satisfaction and safety. That balance was way off the mark here, lessons should have been learnt from 1980s WRC and I hope this doesnt happen again aywhere.

(I also hope this doesn't trigger a "reduce power of cars, have fences at WRC" etc knee-jerk reaction)
Old 16 Aug 2010, 10:16 (Ref:2745114)   #11
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This incident is also discussed on another thread and we can only offer our condolences to those involved. Rally spectator control is still not all that wonderful IMO and I fear for another incident in that sector of our sport.

We pay fees for licences to both participate and organise events and I assume this was an "ad hoc" event rather than one being run under some orgainising body licence. Legal action is now inevitable
Old 16 Aug 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2745119)   #12
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
I think it is a bit (very) harsh calling them stupid. People have lost their lives. Of course it is so dangerous that it borders on negligent, that they are allowed to stand so close to the track, in dim light, with very short intervals between the cars. This should never have happened, which makes it all the more tragic, but to call them stupid is offensive.

Are you telling me that you wouldnt go quite a bit closer to the the track at rallycross if you could? Are you the same people who have an issue with health and safety and catch fences etc?! People seek thrills, which is why we participate in and spectate at the sport; the organisers (or in this case lack thereof) are the ones who have to strike a balance between punter satisfaction and safety. That balance was way off the mark here, lessons should have been learnt from 1980s WRC and I hope this doesnt happen again aywhere.

(I also hope this doesn't trigger a "reduce power of cars, have fences at WRC" etc knee-jerk reaction)
I never called them stupid

I said they was stupid close

Yes everyone would love to get abit closer to the action but you should no when you are too close.

I dont blame the speccies, you do have to question the organisers. From what ive read this is a section that gets alot of people at it every year. Its never good when people are killed watching motorsport!

But i think the people who attacked the driver are STUPID people. This tragedy was not his fault!
Old 16 Aug 2010, 10:33 (Ref:2745125)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
How on earth can you live with that how do you deal with it? I wouldnt be surprised if there is another death shortly, a suicide.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2745315)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post

If not stupid, it's dumb. Maybe the best phrase is tragic stupidity. And yes I do have compassion for those that died. No one wants to go to any race and die, certainly. And I know their families are in pain and I pray for them most of all.

Yes in this world there are freak accidents despite all sorts of health and safety regulating going on. Any one of us can have that happen to us.

But it angers me because this was so preventable. And the responsibility for it I put on the spectators. They barely left enough room for the vehicle, much less any run off room, plus were running across the road as well. It doesn't take an expect in physics to figure all this out. It was only a matter of time before a Darwin Award was won.

I believe in free will though and it is what it is. People want to stand in front of a trophy truck at 80 MPH, well so be it.

Ever see photos of the 1970 Mexico GP with the guy laying on the grass at the apex of the corner? On one hand I find that dangerous to all, but on the other hand if one wants to be squashed flat by an F1 car at 150 mph, it is what it is.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2745317)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
How on earth can you live with that how do you deal with it? I wouldnt be surprised if there is another death shortly, a suicide.
If people goad that driver into suicide, well that's ridiculous. It doesn't solve anything. It wasn't like that driver drove 150 feet off course over a berm to run people over. Listening to some of the spectators that were there, they know they were in the wrong.

We also don't know yet the entire circumstances and the drivers perspective, someone may have ran out in front of him or something, but I want to hear the story from the driver and passengers perspective.

The California Highway Patrol is investigating and they have one of the best accident recreation teams around, so I am sure all the answers will come out.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 20:16 (Ref:2745439)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I wasnt talking about goading the poor guy I was trying to be syphaphetic I sincerely hope he can live with it not sure I would have the strength and wish him peace.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 23:36 (Ref:2745583)   #17
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply

A different report stated that as the truck landed from the jump one wheel hit a large rock which started the incedent. The visibility was marginal due to the setting sun and there was no possibility of avoiding the rock once the truck was airborne. As the people who made Koni shocks once stated "It is impossible to control a vehicle if the wheels are not on the ground".

Old 17 Aug 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2745879)   #18
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad for all involved but, when you watch desert racing events like this and the Baja 500/1000, you have to wonder how there aren't more spectator casulties.

People get closer and closer to the cars until the inevitable happens.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 23:15 (Ref:2746307)   #19
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its one of the few forms of motorsport left where vehicles run that fast but demarcation between track and spectator area is minimal, if it exists at all. i was a spectator on the rally GB when Sainz went straight on at the end of a long straight and ploughed thru about 12 people. thankfully no one was seriously injured in that, but as me and my girlfriend were walking up the stage before it opened, we contemplated watching from there and looking at it from a drivers point of view decided against it because there wasn't much in the way of cover or an easy exit. we were proven right, sadly.

everyone has a part to play in running an event like that safely. good instruction and notices of where to/not to stand. where needed, signage or barriers / tape to guide people away from potential hazard areas. and common sense from the spectators. i can't see how anyone could blame the driver for such an incident, other than heat of the moment. i'm with Al, the guy must feel terrible. living with that kind of incident will be hard, i doubt he'll go near a rally car again rather like the unfortunate markko martin.

painful as it is, everyone needs to take a long hard look at this one and learn everything they can from it. what's done is done but to ignore the warnings its made so clear and to have something similar to happen again will be an even bigger tragic waste of their lives.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 23:25 (Ref:2746314)   #20
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A tragic accident, but has been mentioned before, it is not the driver's fault that spectators died and the notion of people attacking him - even in the immediate throes of grief - is reprehensible. They should be ashamed as well as saddened.

Ultimately the culpability falls to a) the organizer, if there was any legal impression given that they were to be responsible for demarcating suitable viewing zones in that area and b), most strongly, to the spectators themselves. As the story above about the RAC suggests, it is ultimately not a matter of rocket science to figure out both a suitable distance and location for viewing based on what would happen if a car exits the track in the most likely few directions at any given point. Nobody expects or deserves to die at a motor race, but you only need to look at almost any footage of a WRC event held in Portugal to see that, in some cases, most don't behave in a manner which would suggest that.

My thoughts are with the families of those who lost their lives, but also with the driver. The Markko Martin example is a poignant one - you can never go home again.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2748143)   #21
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm always amazed that people stand outside a corner, and downhill of a rally stage. I've only a few years of Rally-X experience but I hope I've learnt never to underestimate how far a car can run, roll, or bits come off it - and all of them hold enough potential to be deadly.

RIP all those who have perished. For everyone else, it's time to learn and learn fast.