Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 2 Apr 2014, 11:04 (Ref:3387795)   #26
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You can definitely go under that tunnel, unless we've been accidentally sneaking past the Gendarmerie in recent years.

From some directions, it's the quickest way back to the Houx campsites, and it will definitely be frequently used by you Brake dust.

That football stadium is a tragic site. A metaphor for what's wrong with my two favourite sports. That stadium crippled Le Mans FC financially, and now there's that fabulous stadium with no professional team to play in it. As a result, that eye sore on the circuit has been built for nothing, apart from sending a football club under.

All these years and I've never been to the Tetre Rouge cafe. What's it like? From the outside it just looks like a place to grab a beer.

Last edited by Gingers4Justice; 2 Apr 2014 at 11:11.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 11:23 (Ref:3387801)   #27
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Loads of people use the cafe, but it shows football so best avoided during the world cup
Old 2 Apr 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3387814)   #28
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Well there's something new that I learned today. I always thought it strange that such a big soccer (sorry, football) stadium was in a town like Le Mans (which didn't seem big enough to necessitate such a large stadium). Never would have imagined it sits empty all the time though. That's a bummer.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3387822)   #29
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It should be rebuild to suit the 24h of Le Mans (I'm not a soccer/football fan )
Old 2 Apr 2014, 13:25 (Ref:3387841)   #30
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
It should be rebuild to suit the 24h of Le Mans (I'm not a soccer/football fan )
No it has already bankrupted the football team do not let the ruddy think do the same to the circuit
Old 2 Apr 2014, 16:06 (Ref:3387902)   #31
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
You can definitely go under that tunnel, unless we've been accidentally sneaking past the Gendarmerie in recent years.

From some directions, it's the quickest way back to the Houx campsites, and it will definitely be frequently used by you Brake dust.

That football stadium is a tragic site. A metaphor for what's wrong with my two favourite sports. That stadium crippled Le Mans FC financially, and now there's that fabulous stadium with no professional team to play in it. As a result, that eye sore on the circuit has been built for nothing, apart from sending a football club under.

All these years and I've never been to the Tetre Rouge cafe. What's it like? From the outside it just looks like a place to grab a beer.

Rather like Kettering Town FC and their move out of town to a shiny, new modern stadium ten miles away????

Rather like Coventry City and the Ricoh Stadium and doubtless others too.

I fear for some modern racing circuits who have pinned everything on F1 and don't seem to realise that they're at the whim of Bernie. Could they survive if he withdrew their race?
Old 2 Apr 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3387918)   #32
ExiledHighlander
Rookie

ExiledHighlander should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be my first Le Mans this year - question about grandstands.

Assuming you have a ticket for a grandstand (or even if you don't), in the middle of the night when most of them are empty can you get in to other grandstands?
Old 2 Apr 2014, 17:26 (Ref:3387929)   #33
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Well there's something new that I learned today. I always thought it strange that such a big soccer (sorry, football) stadium was in a town like Le Mans (which didn't seem big enough to necessitate such a large stadium). Never would have imagined it sits empty all the time though. That's a bummer.
Le Mans isn't quite as small as you think. 150,000 according to the last census - so a 30,000 seater stadium is far from unrealistic. It's just they didn't need to move out of their existing stadium and take on that financial burden.

Last I heard, the club had disbanded and reformed in the sixth tier.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3387933)   #34
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
Rather like Kettering Town FC and their move out of town to a shiny, new modern stadium ten miles away????

Rather like Coventry City and the Ricoh Stadium and doubtless others too.

I fear for some modern racing circuits who have pinned everything on F1 and don't seem to realise that they're at the whim of Bernie. Could they survive if he withdrew their race?
You could write a book on Kettering Town's plight in recent years. It wouldn't be very interesting and no one would buy it....but there's enough to write a book

The Ricoh Arena is what's comparable to the Le Mans stadium. The building of the Ricoh has caused the rift which has ultimately lead to them playing in Northampton.

If France were to host the European Championships, it would be interesting to see which stadiums were used. That could be the only possible use left for the stadium. But would they host a fixture which could potentially clash with the race? Surely not...
Old 2 Apr 2014, 18:18 (Ref:3387947)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Thank you!
It's now updated
Le Mans Map
Could a moderator put it in the first post of the thread?
If you cross my palm with silver.......
Old 2 Apr 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3387951)   #36
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledHighlander View Post
It will be my first Le Mans this year - question about grandstands.

Assuming you have a ticket for a grandstand (or even if you don't), in the middle of the night when most of them are empty can you get in to other grandstands?
In the middle of the night you can stand against the catch fencing and watch the cars or sit on the terracing and watch them, the grandstands are OK in the day time to protect you from sun or rain but you are always further back even if you are higher up, in some places like at the esses the banking give you a much better view any way
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:04 (Ref:3388032)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, maybe.... We know your view on stands Simon, but its not shared by everyone. A grandstand seat is a really good thing to have, particularly for resting the weary legs late on in the evening or early morning - for those who do the full night stretch.

The test is probably not to bother if you go to Le Mans for the first time. If you can get there for any of the qually sessions, you can sit in most of the stands for free. Then you can make your mind up whether or not you want to invest in one for the next year.....
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3388038)   #38
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I know you need to rest your legs Andrew but you can do that without having a grandstand seat, I was just pointing out that unlike some race tracks you can get a good view without the need to pay extra, and late a night there are few people about so you can watch from places that you can not get near at the start of the race. I am lucky in that I can sit in comfort in the camp site and then get up and get a good view from the banking even at 5 minutes to go not everyone is that licky
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:19 (Ref:3388042)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Horses for courses Simon, but I like to make sure that those not yet initiated into all the wonders of Le Mans have a fair view of what's on offer. You don't need to have a grandstand seat - I only had one 3 times in my first 20 or so visits, but I've had one every year now since about 2003 and wouldn't dream of not having one. Back in the mid 00's, I actually bought two a couple of times (in different locations, of course). As to paying extra, it's chickenfeed once a year - my seat probably costs me less than most people spend on beer while they're there.....
Old 2 Apr 2014, 21:36 (Ref:3388053)   #40
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was lucky to get two last year (one was free). It felt very decadent and allowed for good photos.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3388079)   #41
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
As to paying extra, it's chickenfeed once a year - my seat probably costs me less than most people spend on beer while they're there.....
Drinking a certain's worth of beer is not the same as spending money on it in certain cases....
Old 3 Apr 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3388148)   #42
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Le Mans isn't quite as small as you think. 150,000 according to the last census - so a 30,000 seater stadium is far from unrealistic. It's just they didn't need to move out of their existing stadium and take on that financial burden.

Last I heard, the club had disbanded and reformed in the sixth tier.
The stadium is still used occasionally for its proper purpose. A couple of months ago, the Football Club at La Suze-sur-Sarthe, some ten miles or so downstream from Le Mans. reached a relatively high level in the French equivalent of the FA Cup and were drawn against top side Olympique Lyonnais. They played their game at the Le Mans stadium, rather than at their own - and were soundly beaten!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 06:13 (Ref:3388149)   #43
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Horses for courses Simon, but I like to make sure that those not yet initiated into all the wonders of Le Mans have a fair view of what's on offer. You don't need to have a grandstand seat - I only had one 3 times in my first 20 or so visits, but I've had one every year now since about 2003 and wouldn't dream of not having one. Back in the mid 00's, I actually bought two a couple of times (in different locations, of course). As to paying extra, it's chickenfeed once a year - my seat probably costs me less than most people spend on beer while they're there.....
In my case, that makes it a very cheap seat - and I'm no teetotaller.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 06:27 (Ref:3388152)   #44
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well as Andrew said everyone has different ways of enjoying Le Mans, long may it be so
Old 3 Apr 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3388264)   #45
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys 'n' gals. For the first time this year I bought my tickets (2x general admission and 1 x camping pass) through the ACO's website, rather than my normal choice, Just Tickets.

I placed my order back in January and I was just wondering when does the ACO normally post tickets out? Have tickets even been printed yet? I'm just getting a little bit nervous...
Old 3 Apr 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3388272)   #46
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
Hi guys 'n' gals. For the first time this year I bought my tickets (2x general admission and 1 x camping pass) through the ACO's website, rather than my normal choice, Just Tickets.

I placed my order back in January and I was just wondering when does the ACO normally post tickets out? Have tickets even been printed yet? I'm just getting a little bit nervous...
Do not worry, tickets will be sent out late april at the earliest, as soon as the ACO starts to send them out people on here will be posting the good news, the system of sending them out last a couple of weeks so do not worry if you are not in the first batch.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 13:03 (Ref:3388276)   #47
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Do not worry, tickets will be sent out late april at the earliest, as soon as the ACO starts to send them out people on here will be posting the good news, the system of sending them out last a couple of weeks so do not worry if you are not in the first batch.
Ah, thanks. My mild panic is averted.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 13:11 (Ref:3388281)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, they should be with you by June 16th.......

Only joking.....
Old 3 Apr 2014, 13:13 (Ref:3388282)   #49
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Some one on beermountain is saying that he has had an email from the ACO to say that the tickets will start to be sent out in a few days
Old 3 Apr 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3388287)   #50
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Last year my tickets arrived April 15th. Not long to go now