Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jun 2023, 18:15 (Ref:4163737)   #876
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This is purely for information:

I travelled via Portsmouth to Cean return this year. The theory being that I could sleep overnight going and doze in a chair coming back in the afternoon/evening. The advantage being that the driving the French side would be approx 2hrs rather than 4.5 Hrs via the Eurotunnel.

Whilst a cabin on the boat is good, they aren't the most comfortable so you dont get a good night's sleep. Also the journey is only 6hrs so, again not long enough for a rest. But I got to the camp site by 11am having stopped for food and wine etc. on the way. Coming back I left the camp site at 9am, took a leaisurely drive to Caen and had Moules and Frits in the town square (at the same restaurant I visited twenty years ago). We boarded the ferry late and thus arrived 40 mins late in Portsmouth. I was pretty relaxed but still had 90 mins of driving to get home.

In comparison. If I travel by Eurotunnel I have the same 90 mins journey (depending on timing) to and from Folkestone, and 4.5 hrs each way in France. So if I leave the camp site at 9am on the Monday, all things being equal I can be home by 7pm the same day. Using Portsmouth Caen I arrive home at approx 1130pm. As it happens the A3 and the M25 were closed in my direction so that added an hour to my journey although this is not related to the normal trip timing.

So, based on the above I'll go back the Eurotunnel and accept the extra driving on the Fench side since the UK side of the journey is the same.
2022 we did Portsmouth Caen out and Calais Dover return. Mainly do my son could save a days holiday as picked up from Havant (train from London)

I thought overnight ferry was slowed to about 8.5 hours and do get there rested after short drive on Thursday am. Live in Kent so Dover return much quicker.
Old 15 Jun 2023, 07:16 (Ref:4163799)   #877
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
River Seine ferries are free (like the line in the song).

Only read about them a couple of weeks ago - either side of Rouen at places Duclair, Petit Couronne and La Bouille.

Very efficient, free, take 10 cars or so at a time. Waited 3 mins, crossing 5 mins or so. Directed to Petit Couronne (industrial zone) by Waze after a minor petrol stop diversion. Then did fairly odd route with 30kph zones and hairpins climbing up to up to A151/A29 etc. For Calais straight through Rouen quicker/shorter.

Better suited to Dieppe routes - think quite a few cars used La Bouille - possibly a good stop off point?
Old 15 Jun 2023, 07:55 (Ref:4163806)   #878
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
Do seem to be having a ferries year - 35 or 36 crossings since leaving Portsmouth for LM 2022. And 6 or 7 in last 10 days as dropped wife on IOW in 2 days before early Dover crossing for 2023 after she fractured ankle 2 weeks before LM.
Old 15 Jun 2023, 08:15 (Ref:4163810)   #879
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
For anyone planning to return to Calais, worth noting that there's a tall ships event in Rouen from 8th to 18th June already causing traffic jams in the area. armada.org/en
Best avoid Rouen and return via Yvetot
Thanks for that one, we did just that and had a stop for sandwiches on the mondaymorning after the race.