Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Apr 2004, 18:33 (Ref:951290)   #1
mgmog
Rookie

mgmog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos of Silverstone VSCC Spring 2004

Hi all, first thanks to all who made the weekend meet such a good show, photos are at http://gallery60212.fotopic.net/
All in all good fun, the members car park was pretty amazing, and the good news is that she who pays the bills will buy me a 7 if the price is right, so any leads appreciated. Sorry the racing pics are limited to the one car! but these modern digi cameras are just as prone to problems as the VSCC eligible ones.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 19:01 (Ref:951313)   #2
blackhands
Racer

blackhands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great set of photos MGMOG. Well done.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 07:35 (Ref:951863)   #3
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice photos MGMog. Digi cameras are great in so far as you can take lots of photos and not have to worry about the cost of the film!

Surely "she who pays the bills" could stretch to an M Type or a Cammy Minor - they would be much more in keeping with your name!

Duncan

PS Did I mention that there are some more pictures here?
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:24 (Ref:952154)   #4
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The mention of the Vintage carpark prompts me to say that being it's steward is the job from hell.

Bob Wimmer asked me to help on it's gate when I arrived as the one person assigned was swamped...I met a lot of really nice people and quite a number of not very nice post war owners who attempted to access the area.

The excuses ranged from 'I always get in here' to 'Wait until I've been to see Stuart Pringle then we'll see where I'm parking' to 'you're attitude is symptomatic of just where the vintage club is going wrong'

After that baptism my actual duty of Startline was a breeze.

RT

Last edited by relativtortoise; 26 Apr 2004 at 12:26.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 13:07 (Ref:952204)   #5
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More images

Even if the Riley refused to behave it was a fantastic weekend...Helen Jackson took these photos.

Well it's Donington for me next weekend.

Old 26 Apr 2004, 13:40 (Ref:952247)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it was a great meeting and the second I have been to this year with decent amount of spectators (Easter Monday Castle Combe Top Hat being the other). Sadly gearbox problems led me to a foreshortened qualifying and ultimately a dnf and not hearing our race being called (along with several others although I know that is no excuse!)led me to starting my first from the pitlane for the first time ever!
Not something I hope to repeat!
Old 26 Apr 2004, 17:52 (Ref:952546)   #7
BugEyed
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by relativtortoise
The mention of the Vintage carpark prompts me to say that being it's steward is the job from hell.

RT
RT

Sorry to hear that you met a few of the more difficult characters associated with the movement. As you say it must be the job from hell. Let's hope that the club is a bit more up front about the parking arrangements in the future so that the intentions for the different areas are understood by people before they get to the meeting rather than their expectations having to be managed by the Steward on the gate.

My view is that you and the other steward(s) did a superb job, and are to be congratulated.

Duncan
Old 28 Apr 2004, 07:38 (Ref:954229)   #8
BugEyed
Racer

MGMog

Is this something to show to, or hide from, "she who pays the bills"?

Maybe not LC&ES eligible, but looks great fun and is currently for sale on eBay.

Duncan
Old 28 Apr 2004, 12:39 (Ref:954584)   #9
relativtortoise
Racer

One of those who was really unhappy at being turned back from the pre-war car park and showed us a noisy pair of post war Allard exhausts as he fired back off up the paddock I was sure that I knew but couldn't place the face....that was until the Salvage Squad this week when I realised that if it was the person I thought it was then it was one of the now retired presenters.

RT
Old 28 Apr 2004, 13:19 (Ref:954648)   #10
BugEyed
Racer

This former Salvage Squad presenter certainly used to (and may still) own an Allard - last time I remember seeing it the car was "polished aluminium" and had a somewhat noisy Cadillac engine.

Does the face still look familiar?

Duncan

Last edited by BugEyed; 28 Apr 2004 at 13:23.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 13:19 (Ref:954650)   #11
MGCooperman
Rookie

MGCooperman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bishop Ranter

Well it's Donington for me next weekend.

Your Eminence

What heavenly creation are you driving? I'll be there as well and I'll come and say hello, as my step son is racing an Austin Healey.

Old 28 Apr 2004, 13:25 (Ref:954658)   #12
MGCooperman
Rookie

Like the 'photos mgmog, shame about the first one that you didn't get the subject in the middle, perhaps you were distracted by the car going by
Also liked the 2 MG's an 18/80 and one of the two 18/100.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 13:46 (Ref:954678)   #13
relativtortoise
Racer

That's the man...

It's painted a deep red now; but still noisy and gave us a fiery 'PARP' as it blasted away.

Is he VSCC then?

RT
Old 28 Apr 2004, 13:59 (Ref:954692)   #14
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MGCooperman
Your Eminence

What heavenly creation are you driving? I'll be there as well and I'll come and say hello, as my step son is racing an Austin Healey.

The Bishop will be out in his Cooper Formula Junior, T56

Please come up and say hello. I promise not to preach. In fact I will be praying as I have to qualify and am weighed down by over indulgence!

Last edited by Bishop Ranter; 28 Apr 2004 at 13:59.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 14:47 (Ref:954737)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I presume yr Healey is in the GD race - sadly I missed the cut and am just doing the BRDC Historic. Not quite sure how the selection process takes place for Donington (which I presume is the only oversubscribed GD race). I am doing Pau and Spa maybe I should have said I will only do Donington and seen how I fared!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 15:18 (Ref:954763)   #16
MGCooperman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
I presume yr Healey is in the GD race - sadly I missed the cut and am just doing the BRDC Historic. Not quite sure how the selection process takes place for Donington (which I presume is the only oversubscribed GD race). I am doing Pau and Spa maybe I should have said I will only do Donington and seen how I fared!
I have no idea about selection processes, I'm an interloper from the VSCC.
My step-son, Chris Chiles, is doing an endurance race at 5pm on Saturday (presumably with shared driving, Paul Ingram? or his father also Chris Chiles or A.N. Other) and has two races on Monday at 9.30am and 2.45pm.
I'll look out for you.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 17:37 (Ref:954864)   #17
BugEyed
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by relativtortoise
Is he VSCC then?

RT
I don't know. There is nobody with his surname in the VSCC List of Members 2000 (the latest until the arrival of one of the fruits of the Bonhams sponsorship).

Duncan
Old 29 Apr 2004, 07:37 (Ref:955409)   #18
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are people out there, myself sometimes included, who 'try things on'.

Surely though, even the most selfish VSCC member in a post war car, even a good one like a Cad Allard can see the point of a carpark full of eligible cars?

I would hope Mr Tortoise, that you will drop a note to the old Post Office so that a general rap across the knuckles can be administered in the next Newsletter along the lines of "you will know who you are, so no names mentioned....."

It is good to hear of a less souless meeting at Silverstone, and efforts to keep a good display in the carpark are very much part of that. The weatherman helped no end I'm sure.

I hope to see you all at Mallory Park.

Steve McQueen.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 07:59 (Ref:955421)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

given all the car parks were infield and therefore close to the action I cant see why people should get stressed where they park? Personnally I like being on the edge of teh paddock as its easier to get out and less claustrophobic!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 08:47 (Ref:955467)   #20
exilegaas
Rookie

exilegaas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by eclectic
in a post war car, even a good one like a Cad Allard ...
I think there was yet another one on the track - it was parked next to the dragster :confused: in the paddock.

Duncan is there a meet up tomorrow near Thorpe?
Old 29 Apr 2004, 09:25 (Ref:955496)   #21
mgmog
Rookie

mgmog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Cooperman, she who pays the bills is intrigued as to why that picture is top billing!
Cheers Bugeyed, an M type would be top of the cheap MG list, I will have to keep buying the lotto tickets though.

Glad Silverstone was last weekend, we are having rather a lot of rain at the moment( less than 15 miles away from the circuit ), and my drive is more akin to the car park for the British Grand Prix 2000, what is the widest tyre you can fit on a 7?
Old 29 Apr 2004, 10:16 (Ref:955550)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

Donington's new surface is apparently slippery at the best of times so this weekend on historic tyres should be a great leveller for us all if its still chucking it down! Thank goodness the BRDC race is only 40 mins!!!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 12:02 (Ref:955640)   #23
BugEyed
Racer

David

The meeting will be at The Bentley Brook Inn which is off the B5056 near its junction with the A515 south of Fenny Bentley. See you there?

Simon

Donington always appears to be slippery in the wet - reputedly due to the emissions from the aircraft taking off and landing at the nearby airport. Hope that you all have a good time - some of us will be rallying slightly further North on the Saturday.

Duncan

PS Anyone going to Curborough on Sunday for the VSCC meeting?
Old 29 Apr 2004, 12:29 (Ref:955674)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

yes I have been fortunate in so much as I have only raced there once in the rain, however I have read that the new surface is extra slippy in the wet, the aviation fuel dumping corner is Macleans/Coppice
Old 29 Apr 2004, 13:50 (Ref:955786)   #25
exilegaas
Rookie

exilegaas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BugEyed
See you there?
I ask the crew tomorrow, I'll be in the Tin car - Chris is entered in the Sunbeam. Which like the MG M above is another LJ (Bournemouth, I think.)