Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 16 Jun 2004, 18:56 (Ref:1006146)   #1
No 4
Veteran

No 4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SOM Test and 20th June Double Header

Daly, Dawkins, Kestenbaum and Morrow out testing at Mallory today. Daly, Dawkins and Kestenbaum thought to be around 49 dead. Morrow 48.6. Any thoughts about Sundays race?
Old 16 Jun 2004, 19:23 (Ref:1006179)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm tipping Morrow to nick one of them from Gavin... Dawkins will have at least two spins.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1006202)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peter Daly is due one too if he makes one of his demon starts and has qualified well enough
Old 16 Jun 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1006231)   #4
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering Daly mentioned in another thread that testing could be a "waste" he seems to have been mentioned on a few test days. I know he's been trying different engines, but seriously (certainly not a dig a Peter) if testing is such as waste why do pepole leading the championships still do it ?

It can't be as much of a waste as thought.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1006234)   #5
darcym
Veteran

I should also mention I'm backing Daly and Wills for a win each, Daly for the same reasons last time...he's due Wills because he's been the winner on a regular basis, Dawkins could easy slip in another win and Morrow too as I rated him in zip, but his Dads already but a bet on him
Old 16 Jun 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1006282)   #6
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was interesting today - quite close. My best was 48.7 ish, and Peter+Stuart both did laps in the 48s everyone was quite close.

Did Jamie have a problem at the end No4? he seemed about half a second a lap slower than he was earlier on?
Old 17 Jun 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1006913)   #7
No 4
Veteran

Justin - no problem, conditions were hotter and Jamie said everyone was running around 0.5 slower than in the cooler earlier sessions. His 48.6 was on old tyres, so more to come on new. He's really up for this weekend
Old 17 Jun 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1006917)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope you've seen the preview on the website Mr M.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1006938)   #9
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by No 4
His 48.6 was on old tyres, so more to come on new.
A real low budget effort then No4! Testing and new tyres for every round, run from the nice team truck. Might be 'low budget' for F Renault but surely not FF1600??

I did enjoy watching him in the Kent Trophy race last time though..
Old 17 Jun 2004, 13:45 (Ref:1006943)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Surely Jamie is still trying to 'make it' though - and therefore it is important he competes to the highest level and as professionally as possible. I imagine it could be done more cheaply, but then he may not be able to enhance his reputation in the way that he is doing now?
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1006975)   #11
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't driver PR funny...!!!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1006979)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Pardon?
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:29 (Ref:1007001)   #13
darcym
Veteran

it is quite an interesting view.

No4 will obviously tout Jamies achievments as low budget which in comparision to Zip (Which I enjoyed watching Jamie in) it is a low budget, but compared to most other FF1600 chaps this would probably be a above average budget (just assuming as I don't know figures)

There is no doubt that Jamie is quick, but what is better PR for his tallents beating some good drivers with an obviously similar level of tyres/testing/budget as other drivers (or percieved at least) or beating other guys with the perception that he is throwing money at it (again this is only perception for all I know he could be running on £100 per race) but you get the point.

Well made RR77
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:32 (Ref:1007004)   #14
No 4
Veteran

This is a dificult one to repond to, as I don't want Jamie to come over as a some sort of prima donna. However,Ian's right, Jamie still wants to 'make it' in motorsport and therefore it's important he makes the most of the limited opportunities that he has to race. With this in mind, he and Infiniti try to be as professional as possible. No crime in that!!

As evidence of Jamie's determination to succeed, he's just given up a well paid full time job to devote himself 100% to motorsport. Since, at his own instigation, he's got instructing jobs at Brands and with Porsche UK + possibly Thruxton, that will pay the bills, and which will allow him much more time to chase potential sponsors. Good on him I say, but then I'm his dad and could be accused of being biased!!!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1007017)   #15
darcym
Veteran

An excellent reponse No 4

As you rightly say nothing wrong with doing the best job possible and making the most of what you've got. If I had more money to spare - I'd certainly use it.

In no way do you/Jamie come over Prima donna (if thats how it is spelt) but it is an interesting debate of perception/tallent.

Is it better to be Rubens and let your kit/car/budget appear to make you look better than you are, or is it better to be Alonso and surley shine in poorer kit/budget

A poor example but it sort of gets the point across.
No matter which way you play it you have pro's and cos. Despite peoples perseptions and actual budgets tallent normally shows through.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:53 (Ref:1007023)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

You've got to look at the alternatives. On the same budget JM could probably do one, maybe two, meetings in Formula Renault - and he probably wouldn't be able to do himself justice in that time. Going for the Master of Mallory title gives him a chance of winning something...
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1007026)   #17
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't criticising Jamie or No4 at all, just think it's quite clearly not a low budget for FF1600 which would be an old RF87, one set of tyres per season and no testing. Compared to what else he's done it'll be cheap but I should think they spend the most per SoM race at present, along with the likes of Kestenbaum!

Driver PR is funny as, I've said this before, you don't meet people who claim to test on anything other than four year old rubber and with a tired engine...
Old 17 Jun 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1007034)   #18
No 4
Veteran

Just saw your comments Darcym - Jamie is certainly not throwing money at FF1600. Far from it!! He has a fixed amount to spend and just trys to make the best use of it. For example, he could have taken in some non Mallory races, but then not been able to afford testing and new tyres. Instead, he decided to focus on the Master of Mallory races and as Ian said, to do them as professionally as possible. As I said, no crime in that!

With regard to PR, Jamie can only race where his budget allows him to race and right now he can't afford to race in the full SOM championship, let alone FRenault!

This said, I think it's a litle bit disrespectful to the other SOM drivers to say that if someone came into the series throwing money at it they'll necessarily win. There are some excellent drivers out in SOM who do really well on tight budgets. Money helps, but it's not the be all and end all. Talent and determination play a part as well!

Ian, yes saw the report, well balanced and detailed. Keep up the good work!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:04 (Ref:1007038)   #19
darcym
Veteran

you have to promote yourself to the best of your ablities if you are trying to progress in motorsport - so nothing wrong with Jamies attitude at all.

Its the PR bit thats interesting eg: running old old tyres so mores to come. to Jamie old tyres is probably a qualifying and race old, to others old tyres could be 4 races and 4 qualifying, others it could be 1 year old rubber.

so if I did a 49.00 on what I consider old rubber and Jamie did a 48.7 on what he considers old rubber that would make us look quite even in spin world, however in reality I would be "better" because I'd have been almost as quick on 6 month old rubber as Jamie would have been on almost brand new rubber (just an example - not saying thats possible before I get shot down)

Its just the terms people use and the PR spin, it can make things look very different from reality
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1007047)   #20
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMiller
you don't meet people who claim to test on anything other than four year old rubber and with a tired engine...
Very true.

There are points form both sides I guess. No doubt Jamie's budget will be one of the higher ones on the grid, but that doesn't mean that its an overkill. Hes prob not spending a lot more that Kestenbaum/Daly etc, even with all those tires! lol

A more interesting debate would be whether or not the 10k or whatever it would cost to do master of Mallory is a worthy investment to attract sponsors or not - even if you did win?
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:18 (Ref:1007060)   #21
JohnMiller
Veteran

I'd say it's as least as likely as in any other series Justin with some prize money along the way for him. I think it's great he's racing in the SoM as it adds to the credibility of the championship.

Any idea what make motor DALY is running this week and will he switch tuners between races?
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:20 (Ref:1007065)   #22
JohnMiller
Veteran

I'm not sure new tyres etc. are any good anyway as I've met loads of people on 'lap record pace' in testing with old ones who then go two seconds 'slower' on raceday. Maybe old tyres are the thing to have, especially on Wednesdays?
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1007068)   #23
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
old is the new new. New tyres make litle or no difference, but as Matt sayd, depends how old your old ones are! If your old ones were new this year, and arn't bold, then will make no difference - except will lighten your wallet, so a tenth! lol

lol - not sure about engines - think it was the scholar on weds, glad my prize money is being spent wisely!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1007077)   #24
JohnMiller
Veteran

Right, time to go home and watch England beat the Toblerone army 3-0.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 16:04 (Ref:1007112)   #25
No 4
Veteran

Justin - I can asure you Jamie is paying no where near £10k to do the 6 M of M races. If he was he'd insist Infiniti buy the bacon butties as well!!