Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Nov 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2588062)   #226
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Why on Earth would the transponder that shows a car is IN THE PITS be OUTSIDE THE PITS?
Depends on where the timing loop for pit entry is actually located.

I have no reason to disbelieve the stated chain of events at Barbagallo with respect to the SC deployment.

We are human and mistakes are made, just so happens that two in two meetings is unusual.

Now this comment in the press release worries me

Quote:
Meanwhile, rescue crews left their station on the infield to clear the Kelly/Holdsworth crash, but were forced to sit off the track as drivers made their way around the crash at the last corner.
What if the driver had been injured or the car on fire. For Peckstar's benefit, that is the reason why the cars MUST SLOW DOWN as soon as the yellow flags and SC boards are displayed.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2588156)   #227
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schenken comment re Phillip Island confirms no fault of SC driver--she did exactly what they were told to do by Schenken( I did say that about 40000 posts ago)
Old 24 Nov 2009, 05:17 (Ref:2588220)   #228
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Depends on where the timing loop for pit entry is actually located
I asked dad as he installed the loop at Barbagallo when the track was resurface some years ago - and there is a timing loop OUTSIDE pit lane proper as well as a number of loops roughly evenly spaced down the length of pit lane.

The one outside was placed there - apparently - at the explicit request of V8SCA despite it being physically prior to the entrance to pit lane.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 05:28 (Ref:2588226)   #229
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would think with that setup, a car wouldn't have completed its stop unless it has passed every transponder, so it should have been obvious he was still on the track as soon as he crossed the start/finish line.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 06:43 (Ref:2588239)   #230
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
I asked dad as he installed the loop at Barbagallo when the track was resurface some years ago - and there is a timing loop OUTSIDE pit lane proper as well as a number of loops roughly evenly spaced down the length of pit lane.
Possibly correct but they've also added and moved loops at several tracks in the past few years as well.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2588295)   #231
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

The one outside was placed there - apparently - at the explicit request of V8SCA despite it being physically prior to the entrance to pit lane.
MAY have been the case due to the 40kmh line being outside pit lane back in those days (it was moved around a bit IIRC).
Old 24 Nov 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2588575)   #232
NewsStalker
Veteran

Paul - I checked last night and the pit lane lines are still the same. As I understand it Barbgallo is one of the worst surfaces to cut the lines into - the track has a higher than usual metal content.

And Stealthy - they don't 'pass transponders' (unless they are constipated) - in fact V8's don;t even use transponders - they are still using a 20 year old timing transmitter system designed in 1988!!!
Old 24 Nov 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2588579)   #233
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It obviously still works alright
Old 24 Nov 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2588645)   #234
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Nothing wrong with the original Dorian design.

A lot easier to find in the grass when they fall off the car than the newer smaller units out there.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 02:45 (Ref:2588775)   #235
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Schenken stated.... "At Phillip Island it did exactly what it was asked to do, there was no fault at all at Phillip Island."

Huh?

Well if the safety car did what it was supposed to do, why didnt Whincup, Tander, Johnson, Courtney, Bright and the Kelly boys all get penaltys for passing the safety car when not signaled to do so?

Oh thats right...... because you DID stuff up. Everybody who has seen the incident knows it was a stuff up. If it wasnt the safety car drivers fault and they did what they were asked to do, then it was YOUR fault Tim for telling it to stop on the track at the end of the main straight almost causing a pile up.

Last edited by manwell; 25 Nov 2009 at 02:51.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 04:17 (Ref:2588799)   #236
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
I didn't hear about this one Rachel, obviously it didn't make the Ch. 7 telecast (as delivered by V8SCA and its subsidiaries)
I had no idea what that article was on about until I realised Channel 7/V8TV kept us in the dark about this completely.

There was no mention of it at all during the race coverage...

I can understand a regular TV show being edited to show the best of its actors/presenters and remove "parts of the program not affecting the final outcome", but how can they justify showing us such a filtered or censored version of events?

I want to know what happened, I want to see what happened. Am I too stupid to understand it, being a "punter"? Or are they afraid my high opinion of the organisers might be tarnished?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 04:40 (Ref:2588807)   #237
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They hate reading us criticise their ****ups in the internet, so if we don't know, then how can we criticise.

They hate these forums I can tell you.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 06:31 (Ref:2588845)   #238
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
I had no idea what that article was on about until I realised Channel 7/V8TV kept us in the dark about this completely.

There was no mention of it at all during the race coverage...

I can understand a regular TV show being edited to show the best of its actors/presenters and remove "parts of the program not affecting the final outcome", but how can they justify showing us such a filtered or censored version of events?

I want to know what happened, I want to see what happened. Am I too stupid to understand it, being a "punter"? Or are they afraid my high opinion of the organisers might be tarnished?
or does it really not matter that much,

if they didnt want you to know, why did they put out a press release?
Old 25 Nov 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2588858)   #239
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
if they didnt want you to know, why did they put out a press release?
so Schenken could remove himself from any blame??
Old 25 Nov 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2588862)   #240
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
blame from who, know one knew until they put out the press release,

although skaife slightly suggested it
Old 25 Nov 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2588890)   #241
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Been a bit quiet since I posted this comment earlier in the week;

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
Now this comment in the press release worries me

"Meanwhile, rescue crews left their station on the infield to clear the Kelly/Holdsworth crash, but were forced to sit off the track as drivers made their way around the crash at the last corner."

What if the driver had been injured or the car on fire. For Peckstar's benefit, that is the reason why the cars MUST SLOW DOWN as soon as the yellow flags and SC boards are displayed.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2588895)   #242
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
did you want a response

I was wondering do you agree that cowboys should not run on the track while the cars are at speed, or is it worth the risk?
Old 25 Nov 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2588914)   #243
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
did you want a response

I was wondering do you agree that cowboys should not run on the track while the cars are at speed, or is it worth the risk?
Well if I was sitting in a burning wreck, I would hope that a COWBOY would run on the track and help, while my fellow drivers took care to not make matters worse.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2588931)   #244
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe we should put peckstar in a burning car and have him watch rescuers wait 2 or 3 minutes to get him out and see how he feels........possibly too good for him
Old 25 Nov 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2588952)   #245
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
which is all fine and dandy when there is a burning wreck (trying to remember the last time we had one as a result of an accident) but there wasn't a burning wreck on the weekend and both cars were able to get off the track under their own steam (literally for one of them)

we have these things called fire bombs and these things called fire suits which help to protet us from fire, we also have this ability that if the situation warrants it (which it didnt on the weekend) the safety car can scramble and pick up the first car that comes around.

We also have these things called flag marshalls and one of there jobs is to wave double yellow flags to indicate indicate the flag is blocked or partally blocked and that the driver should slow and be prepared to change directions.

oh and we have these other things called eyes, which allow us to see things
Old 25 Nov 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2588980)   #246
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
We also have these things called flag marshalls and one of there jobs is to wave double yellow flags to indicate indicate the flag is blocked or partally blocked and that the driver should slow and be prepared to change directions.

oh and we have these other things called eyes, which allow us to see things

Worked for Holdsworth
Old 25 Nov 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2588981)   #247
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Worked for Holdsworth
True that. He'd backed off a great deal, saw Todd moving so steered to go behind only for Todd to stall so the resulting impact was way less than it would have been were it not for the yellow flags.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2589178)   #248
NewsStalker
Veteran

Two things have become very clear in this thread.

1. Hope like hell peckstar NEVER gets behind the wheel of a race car on the track - because he obviously doesn't know, never will know and couldn;t care less about safety on the track.

2. Peckstar is now looking to be firm favourite to be not only Tim S's love child, but is obviously on Schenkens Christmas Card list for 2009 as well.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2589268)   #249
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
which is all fine and dandy when there is a burning wreck (trying to remember the last time we had one as a result of an accident)
Ask Paul Morris.

You sir, have no idea.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2589276)   #250
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Two things have become very clear in this thread.

1. Hope like hell peckstar NEVER gets behind the wheel of a race car on the track - because he obviously doesn't know, never will know and couldn;t care less about safety on the track.

2. Peckstar is now looking to be firm favourite to be not only Tim S's love child, but is obviously on Schenkens Christmas Card list for 2009 as well.
It surprises me that a person would continue to embarrass themselves. Interesting..