Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Dec 2007, 16:46 (Ref:2088885)   #1
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche 24h test...

In the PR by team essex (here in english http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8) it's stated they are going to do a 24h test organised by Porsche... does anybody (Veerschur TM for example ) when/where this will be made and if there are going to be other cars in that test?
Old 14 Dec 2007, 17:06 (Ref:2088907)   #2
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, that caught my eye too, although I'm not quite sure of it's implications. For sure, there will be the two European Spyders hoping for an invite to Le Mans, but beyond those two, how many from across the Pond? How serious an attack on the Le Mans LMP2 crown are we going to see from Porsche? Afterall, they do have a pair of auto invites for the Penske Spyders in the bag..........might they?
Old 14 Dec 2007, 17:46 (Ref:2088950)   #3
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only if Porsche fits the bill. Realistically, the Penske Porsche has a shot at a top five finish at Lemans with the Penske Team and the Porsche drivers. Their reliability has been close to perfect since Sebring. This is the best prototype available to customers right now.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 03:07 (Ref:2089282)   #4
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroehl
Only if Porsche fits the bill. Realistically, the Penske Porsche has a shot at a top five finish at Lemans with the Penske Team and the Porsche drivers. Their reliability has been close to perfect since Sebring. This is the best prototype available to customers right now.
Huh? I count 3 Audis, at least 2 Peugeots, 3 Pescarolos and a couple of P-1 Lolas to get around. And LeMans is a P-1 track. I do not think that the Spyder has the legs or will be any more reliable than the P-1's will be come race time. I will grant that the Spyder is an awsome P-2 and has been faster than some P-1's this year but I do not see them getting much past the top ten, if that. IMO. Also there are the P-1 and P-2 adjustments that will be in effect next year.

L.P.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 23:54 (Ref:2089736)   #5
Spawinte
Rookie

Ireland
Dundalk, Ireland
Spawinte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He probably meant within LMP2, it would be fairly obvious that the Spyder won't beat an LMP1 at Le Mans. But what if all the diesels break down.....
Old 16 Dec 2007, 00:19 (Ref:2089746)   #6
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Vette finish a high as 6th overall in recent years?

When it comes to Le Sarthe, as long as your still going round, anything can happen.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 00:59 (Ref:2089762)   #7
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real DMN
Didn't Vette finish a high as 6th overall in recent years?

When it comes to Le Sarthe, as long as your still going round, anything can happen.
Yes it happened in 2006 where the 64 Vette finished 4th overall with the highest LMP 2 car in 8th overall. Also that same year 7 of the top 12 were GT1 cars (4 p1 and 1 p2).

Last edited by gsmith2424; 16 Dec 2007 at 01:02.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 01:40 (Ref:2089768)   #8
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawinte
He probably meant within LMP2, it would be fairly obvious that the Spyder won't beat an LMP1 at Le Mans. But what if all the diesels break down.....

I am not so sure of that.

In my opinion the Spyder is a very good candidate if not a lock to win P-2, especially if ran by a team of the quality and means of Penske!

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 16 Dec 2007 at 01:44.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 02:14 (Ref:2089771)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It sure would be nice to see Penske and Porsche at Le Mans. Hopefully they build a P1 in 08', along with Acura... Acura, Audi, Peugeot and Porsche all in P1 would certainly be quite the battle.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 05:18 (Ref:2089785)   #10
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Porsche ran a bullet proof race, which it is certainally capable of doing, it is a top 5 finishing prototype. Aston Martin finished in the top 5 last year, and there were 3 Audi's, 2 Peugeot's, and 3 Pescarolo's to go with a few P1 Lola's. If Aston Martin can do it with a GT1, Penske Racing/Porsche Motorsports can do it with the RS Spyder Evo.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 13:58 (Ref:2089936)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
It sure would be nice to see Penske and Porsche at Le Mans. Hopefully they build a P1 in 08', along with Acura... Acura, Audi, Peugeot and Porsche all in P1 would certainly be quite the battle.
Any hints on that P1, surely Porsche wish to compete against manufcatuers like Acura and Audi in the ALMS, while continuing to sell P2, and later P1, customer cars.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 17:44 (Ref:2090013)   #12
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Porsches commitment to P1 will depend upon the exact content of the new EVO rules and how many customer cars they can sell!! If they feel there is a market for selling customer cars they will build them!!

Judging by the number of P2 cars they have sold there could well be a market for some P1s.......
Old 24 Dec 2007, 18:40 (Ref:2094558)   #13
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I understand from within Porsche they will be back at some point in the top class at Le Mans probaly with a new car. So could be a couple of seasons before a complete factory effort. Will be a cosed cockpit car in line with the 2010 reg changes.

Semi works in LMP2 though could be on the cards...
Old 24 Dec 2007, 18:52 (Ref:2094563)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbo
Will be a cosed cockpit car in line with the 2010 reg changes.
Suggestions are these reg changes have been abandoned.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 02:07 (Ref:2094654)   #15
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Except the reason for GT1s classifying high at the end is due to the attrition in the LMP2 class, not thinking the RS Spyder, even the Evo, has anymore chance to run the 24hr unhindered than the previously best built other LMP2s. I could be wrong but no track they have already run at has the stress of full-power runs done the straights for that long a duration.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 11:28 (Ref:2094706)   #16
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think we'll be seeing an all out factory effort from Porsche before the Audi's have stopped competing. After all,Porsche practically OWNS Volkswagen and Audi.
I'm afraid the topdogs in Stuttgart won't have it that two of their own factories start throwing millions at eachother just for fun.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 12:10 (Ref:2094709)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
I don't think we'll be seeing an all out factory effort from Porsche before the Audi's have stopped competing. After all,Porsche practically OWNS Volkswagen and Audi.
I'm afraid the topdogs in Stuttgart won't have it that two of their own factories start throwing millions at eachother just for fun.
I have no problem if they rename the Audi R10 to Porsche Spyder and put a petrol engine in the back. Two cars for the price of one.

Last edited by FIRE; 25 Dec 2007 at 12:19.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 13:12 (Ref:2094717)   #18
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds good to me. As long as it doesn't carry these ever more boring four circels and produces a sound worthy of a racecar,I'm happy!
Old 28 Dec 2007, 05:27 (Ref:2095606)   #19
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope natural competition is allowed to grow freely in motorsport and we all not have our eyes clouded over by the desire for large fields with so-called factory teams. If you build it they will come. Ideally Porsche will come with their own brand-new car of a completely original design to take on whoever it is that is dominating LMP1. I would want no less from them.

Chris
Old 28 Dec 2007, 06:15 (Ref:2095612)   #20
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz
I hope natural competition is allowed to grow freely in motorsport and we all not have our eyes clouded over by the desire for large fields with so-called factory teams. If you build it they will come. Ideally Porsche will come with their own brand-new car of a completely original design to take on whoever it is that is dominating LMP1. I would want no less from them.

Chris
We wait with eager anticipation. With the natural progression of the P2 Spyder and the new regs for 2010 hopefully we may see a P1 contender soon........maybe......
Old 28 Dec 2007, 12:35 (Ref:2095737)   #21
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHE917[22]
We wait with eager anticipation. With the natural progression of the P2 Spyder and the new regs for 2010 hopefully we may see a P1 contender soon........maybe......
I believe those 2010 regs have been abandoned, so there is nothing stopping them from moving up now. (well except board approval ) Let's hope we see them in 09' move up.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 14:17 (Ref:2099293)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=Bentley03]but beyond those two, how many from across the Pond? QUOTE]

I thought Consus mentioned that they were interested ..... but im not sure if they still exist ? I thought kelleners had signed for them last year ?

Dyson only talks about it , Penske doesnt seem interested and CET probably dont exist either .

2 or 3 would be plenty in my opinion anyway .
Old 6 Jan 2008, 06:15 (Ref:2100446)   #23
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Suggestions are these reg changes have been abandoned.
That's the word that has been floating around for a while. Which explains why Aston would want to do a P1 car now.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 06:18 (Ref:2100447)   #24
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=The Badger]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
but beyond those two, how many from across the Pond? QUOTE]

I thought Consus mentioned that they were interested ..... but im not sure if they still exist ? I thought kelleners had signed for them last year ?

Dyson only talks about it , Penske doesnt seem interested and CET probably dont exist either .

2 or 3 would be plenty in my opinion anyway .
Mr. Penske has stated several times he has no interest in running Le Mans.

Is CET actually going to show up this season? There's pics of a car with their livery on their website...

It would be interesting to see how a RS Spyder would fair at Le Mans. They have shown to be fragile before, so I don't think they could go the whole 24 hours without a problem...
Old 6 Jan 2008, 07:42 (Ref:2100462)   #25
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
Mr. Penske has stated several times he has no interest in running Le Mans.
Mr Penske has stated several times that he would love to take his team Le Mans!

Porsche and his sponsors, however, would appear unwilling to fund it (or perhaps the ACO have said to Porsche that their works/factory team would not be welcome in LMP2 at Le Mans? Note the Acura u-turn).