Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Apr 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2680248)   #26
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Well you would be vastly underrating the knowledge of the average fan or you are pretty unaware yourself of who they are?

I would assume you would like to see the " Fender Bender" Final at Parramatta or the IPRA 2nd race at Philip Island?
Don't understand why you're having a go at me. My exposure to V8 Supercar fans in the past has pointed to them being very myopic, without any awareness of other forms of motorsport in this country, let alone anywhere else in the world.

The exception is officials - in general I've found them to be fans of motorsport rather than purely V8 Supercars, with a very high awareness of what is going on in the motorsport world.

I'm one of these obsessed idiots that sits through the entire 24 hours of Le Mans, the warmup sessions of the WTCC, and even endure german commentary of DTM qualifying, just because MotorsTV doesn't show it. So yeah I am aware of all the international drivers' exploits.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2680397)   #27
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=HSVDT;2679945]The Local business sector last year may have be down opposed to previous years, but they were still glad that the event went ahead considering the A1GP pulled the pin at the eleventh hour.Obviously you take talk back Radio to gospel and you call 18 International drivers a handful of drivers get real.Do you have any factual stats to back this up?

QUOTE]It's amazing the information garnered from Community Talk back radio - 4CRB @ 89.3 have the Gold Coast Mayor on talk back every week and usually for about 45 minutes , members of the public are free to call and air there grievances regarding any subject that may be council related - not long after last years event and after all the sums were tallied and the traders from within the race precinct had responded to reporting on their checks and balances for the race week , the Mayor reported that the general consensus was that they were down by as much as 70% on the previous year .
The only comments on the radio were in the negative regarding the event , I didn't hear anything in the positive and have yet to hear anybody talk up the event , I do associate with persons who work /and are traders in the precinct and others who need constant access from the precinct to Main Beach and Marina Mirage area and they have nothing good to say about all the disruption they have to contend with .
Eighteen International drivers driving part time in a local V8 race is hardly an international event !!
Old 27 Apr 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2680555)   #28
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some handfull. What International event? The Indycar races at Surfers in the last couple of years, had a "man and dog" audience in the US and elsewhere.
Give the event a go then criticize.
It will be more than this event will EVER get. Why should I give it a go when it's just so mickey mouse putting in drivers who haven't driven these cars either ever or for a long time, on a track that isn't conducive to rookie drivers.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2680820)   #29
kingers
Racer

kingers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote from Motorsport Enews

"Patrick Long - USA - Fujitsu Racing
Who? No seriously, who?

What have they been living under a rock?? Patrick is one of USA best ever circuit racers... I think he will be the suprise packet.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2680848)   #30
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingers View Post
Quote from Motorsport Enews

Who? No seriously, who?

What have they been living under a rock?? Patrick is one of USA best ever circuit racers... I think he will be the suprise packet.
Who wrote that??? They should be fired. (I don't subscribe, apparently for a very good reason) unless there was more to that - like his plethora of class wins at the biggest enduros in the world...
Old 28 Apr 2010, 02:11 (Ref:2680877)   #31
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It will be more than this event will EVER get. Why should I give it a go when it's just so mickey mouse putting in drivers who haven't driven these cars either ever or for a long time, on a track that isn't conducive to rookie drivers.
Well it seems to have made Autoweek in the US.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100422/IRL/100429927

Quote:
Who? No seriously, who?

Quote:
Eighteen International drivers driving part time in a local V8 race is hardly an international event !!
Quote:
Don't understand why you're having a go at me. My exposure to V8 Supercar fans in the past has pointed to them being very myopic, without any awareness of other forms of motorsport in this country, let alone anywhere else in the world.
A lot of the criticisms of this event and the drivers involved seems to be generated by almost total ignorance.Very few people here are aware of the International drivers involved and their accomplishments.quite amazing. If this was a NASCAR forum I could understand, but an Australian Touring Car forum..surely we are more aware of other series elsewhere?

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 28 Apr 2010 at 02:24.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 02:34 (Ref:2680880)   #32
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously in Australia, V8s are the premier league and as such, there will be a certain (a large?) proportion of 'fans' who have no idea what is happening outside the Series. It's the same for F1, Nascar. These people are not motorsport fans.

It is shame when this ignorance and patronising behaviour to other series and their drivers is perpetuated by one of the major publications of this country.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 03:03 (Ref:2680882)   #33
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
Obviously in Australia, V8s are the premier league and as such, there will be a certain (a large?) proportion of 'fans' who have no idea what is happening outside the Series. It's the same for F1, Nascar. These people are not motorsport fans.

It is shame when this ignorance and patronising behaviour to other series and their drivers is perpetuated by one of the major publications of this country.
This might sting a bit.

I've lived and worked with hundreds of aussies for over 10 years and have extensively traveled throughout the country. And what I have found is that Australians are very defensive about a lot of things and sport is one of them. There are a lot of reasons for it I believe, but I think much of it is a fear of the USA and Europe overshadowing Australia so there is a bit of hostility to anything "not invented here".

I am of firm belief that whoever international turned up there would be a wide bout of whinging and complaining, so it doesn't matter to me.

Pat Long BTW has been a long time Porsche contracted driver and now is trying to break into stock cars. I've seen him race a few times and he's no dishrag. I'm sure if he is not on the pace of Whincup(or any other front runner) by the first few laps the whinging will be wide and loud.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 04:52 (Ref:2680897)   #34
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post

Its a damn shame that some but not all V8 Supercar fans dont recognize that there are series in this world (and in this country) other then V8 Supercars, it aint the centre of the world people..variety its the spice of life, stick your head out and check what else is on offer, it might open your eyes a bit.

(Not bagging out V8 Supercars, just the shortsightenedness of some of its fans) And the majority of casual fans who know what the V8s are but wouldnt know an Indycar or a DBR9 if they got run over by one.....

Geez I wish FIA GT had've made the trip downunder....But since they didnt I'm looking forward to seeing how these international drivers go in cars they're not used to, it should be interesting but the Gold Coast event really needs another category to co-headline whether it be sportscars or openwheelers.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 04:58 (Ref:2680898)   #35
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I started this thread it was because I was intrigued by the lack of coverage or comment on the launch. I was trying to be as neutral as possible about the event format, but I was interested in the fact that no one seemsed to care.
My personal feelings are that there is nothing wrong with the driver line up they are bringing in for the event, they represent a heap of experience, and some very high quality performances. I do feel however that the fact that they are driving something as familiar and over exposed as the numericaly challenged V8SC field makes it less interesting to Australians, and of no particular interest overseas. In my opinion it is not an International event, and in fact just complicates the Domestic series.
When you consider the potential alternatives, in particular FIA GT1, that were available it is not exactly startling that motor racing fans are dissapionted, and not particularly interested.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 06:31 (Ref:2680920)   #36
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its a damn shame that some but not all V8 Supercar fans dont recognize that there are series in this world (and in this country) other then V8 Supercars, it aint the centre of the world people..variety its the spice of life, stick your head out and check what else is on offer, it might open your eyes a bit.

(Not bagging out V8 Supercars, just the shortsightenedness of some of its fans) And the majority of casual fans who know what the V8s are but wouldnt know an Indycar or a DBR9 if they got run over by one.....
This isn;t confined to Australia or V8's. In most countries oyu will get people supporting one type of racing over another and therefore some drivers will be well know to, say, Joe Bloggs who follows 3 cyclinder Citroen racing, whilst those same drivers will be almost completely unknown to Fred Smith who only follows open wheeled Formula Prado.

IOW - all this has highlighted here is that THIS forum has a large amount of V8 'fans' and 'non-fans'.

Despite oldtony saying that in his opinion this is not an international series, as pointed out before, this IS a recognised FIA international series - so how would these drivers be received if they were to, for arguments sake, be asked to partner drivers in the Rolex series, the FIA GT series, the BTCC series or any other series overseas?

Most likely the majority of them would also be greeted with 'Who the hell is he when he ain;t washing dishes????'
Old 28 Apr 2010, 06:50 (Ref:2680924)   #37
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
This isn;t confined to Australia or V8's. In most countries oyu will get people supporting one type of racing over another and therefore some drivers will be well know to, say, Joe Bloggs who follows 3 cyclinder Citroen racing, whilst those same drivers will be almost completely unknown to Fred Smith who only follows open wheeled Formula Prado.
Quite true-Nascar in America, open wheelers in Europe etc. I'm just saying that if people look around the motorsports world outside their backyard they might find something else they might enjoy-we are all different so there is no wrong choices, when I was much younger I was mostly a V8 Supercar fan but then I discovered sportscar racing (amongst other forms of motorsport) and I'm glad it did, it opened my eyes to new things.

I'm now intrigued about Formula Prado though!
Old 28 Apr 2010, 08:21 (Ref:2680975)   #38
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Despite oldtony saying that in his opinion this is not an international series, as pointed out before, this IS a recognised FIA international series - so how would these drivers be received if they were to, for arguments sake, be asked to partner drivers in the Rolex series, the FIA GT series, the BTCC series or any other series overseas?
Looking at the list: with a lot of enthusiasm I would suggest.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 08:45 (Ref:2680988)   #39
NewsStalker
Veteran

That's where the divide is then - some people will follow many series, some are myoptic.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2681044)   #40
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats pretty poor from MNews. I'd expect that from the Telegraph.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 11:13 (Ref:2681065)   #41
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I understand Formula Prado is run annualy between Port Headland and Broome for veteran drivers.
The standard 120ltr tank makes non stop possible.
Parity adjustments are made by adding ballast in the form of red wine bottles to the caravan.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2681078)   #42
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Some handfull. What International event? The Indycar races at Surfers in the last couple of years, had a "man and dog" audience in the US and elsewhere.
Do you find it ironic that V8SA spent years (2002 - 2008) trying to tell the public that the Indycar / Champcar drivers were 'no names' with no local or international following now make up 2/3rds of the international component that are the selling point of the new event?
Old 28 Apr 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2681129)   #43
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
When you consider the potential alternatives, in particular FIA GT1, that were available it is not exactly startling that motor racing fans are dissapionted, and not particularly interested.
BINGO!

While the driver lineup is very interesting, the event is not.

GT1 would have been great, but I still think the organisers should have gone begging to Indycar. In the last 19 odd years the event has simply become known as 'Indy' and it will take alot to reinvent the wheel. Boobs on balconies and all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I'm now intrigued about Formula Prado though!
Don't bother. It's just a rip off of 'Formula Range Rover'

Formula Range Rover races can be watched during 'Prozac Hour', 3pm - 4pm weekdays out the front of any private school.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2681160)   #44
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole thing is pretty smart from the Tony. We can't give you any international cars, but we can give you international drivers.
Tony gets his total take over of the Gold Coast event that he's wanted for 10 years and the Queensland Government can try and pretend that the event is still international.
It's a good line up of drivers but to think that it'll be anything more than a passing curiosity outside of Australia is wishful thinking.
The comment by Will Power that it'll be a "fun and without too much pressure" indicates just how seriously some of the drivers are taking it.
I know that several of the regular drivers are furious about this, you'd hate to see someone's championship hopes ended by a highly paid visiting driver with little or no V8 Supercar experience putting it into the wall.
BTW we have a poll on the In Pit Lane website and comments can be left as well.
We'll read the best, and worst on Tuesday night's show when the Acting CEO of CAMS Michael Smith will be our guest.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 21:40 (Ref:2681378)   #45
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Parity adjustments are made by adding ballast in the form of red wine bottles to the caravan.
Bloody typical of one make racing - can't even take white wine, bundy or beer these days! Sheesh - what is the world coming to?
Old 28 Apr 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2681383)   #46
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
Tony gets his total take over of the Gold Coast event that he's wanted for 10 years and the Queensland Government can try and pretend that the event is still international.
If you or Tony think he has done a 'total take over' then, sorry - you are kidding yourselves.

He has come in for, at this stage, one year, while the QLD govt has stated - quite openly - they are still looking for a true 'international' category.

If I were Tony I would be very worried about those comments coming from the govt because it shows a lack of faith in the potential for the event that the govt want - and that is INTERNATIONAL exposure.

The have Townsville and QLD Raceway to showcase the category in QLD - but that's not what they are after. The govt knows only too well that whilst Tony claims the V8's are shown in over 800 countries around the Universe, only a handful of people are watvhing it at the times it is broadcast - thus the need for an INTERNATIONAL category with some worldwide recognition.

Unless of course Tony knows something NASA doesn't about the asteroid about to hit the Earth causing another mass extinction. Then his category really could be called dinosaurs
Old 28 Apr 2010, 23:21 (Ref:2681408)   #47
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Do you find it ironic that V8SA spent years (2002 - 2008) trying to tell the public that the Indycar / Champcar drivers were 'no names' with no local or international following now make up 2/3rds of the international component that are the selling point of the new event?
Okay, DRT - I'll call you on it. I can't recall V8SA telling the public that the US guys were 'no names' - can you back that up with evidence?

As for your arithmetic - something wrong there - 18 internationals, only 7 of whom have competed in Champ Car / Indy car (amongst many other categories they have also driven in) in the period you talk about.

Sounds more like one-third to me, rather than the two-thirds you suggest.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 00:18 (Ref:2681417)   #48
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
And the latest attempt to gain a bit of news coverage is the anouncement that the "Indy Grid Girls are to cover up".
I'm sure there are other threads here abouts that will not greet this news with enthusiasm, but it makes one wonder just what is going on inside Stalag Nerang and the mind of the super promoter. I guess it goes under the "family friendly" banner.
For further news on the dramatic change check today's Gold Coast Bulletin.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 03:07 (Ref:2681437)   #49
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will that flow on and mean no more Miss Indy (or whatever its called these days)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer
Okay, DRT - I'll call you on it. I can't recall V8SA telling the public that the US guys were 'no names' - can you back that up with evidence?
You don't recall VESA for years telling us how they were the main act, and the reason the fans turned up to the event, not the open-wheelers?
Old 29 Apr 2010, 03:25 (Ref:2681442)   #50
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
You don't recall VESA for years telling us how they were the main act, and the reason the fans turned up to the event, not the open-wheelers?
Sure do - and for what it's worth, I tend to agree with them on that. Big difference between that & referring to the US series drivers as "no names" as DRT suggests.