Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Apr 2010, 05:27 (Ref:2681458)   #51
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
And the latest attempt to gain a bit of news coverage is the anouncement that the "Indy Grid Girls are to cover up".
I'm sure there are other threads here abouts that will not greet this news with enthusiasm, but it makes one wonder just what is going on inside Stalag Nerang and the mind of the super promoter. I guess it goes under the "family friendly" banner.
For further news on the dramatic change check today's Gold Coast Bulletin.
So will V8SCA ensure this flows on to their 'charge by the hour' XXXX girls? Somehow I don't think it will.

Double standards again????
Old 29 Apr 2010, 08:39 (Ref:2681514)   #52
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
If you or Tony think he has done a 'total take over' then, sorry - you are kidding yourselves.

He has come in for, at this stage, one year, while the QLD govt has stated - quite openly - they are still looking for a true 'international' category.

If I were Tony I would be very worried about those comments coming from the govt because it shows a lack of faith in the potential for the event that the govt want - and that is INTERNATIONAL exposure.

The have Townsville and QLD Raceway to showcase the category in QLD - but that's not what they are after. The govt knows only too well that whilst Tony claims the V8's are shown in over 800 countries around the Universe, only a handful of people are watvhing it at the times it is broadcast - thus the need for an INTERNATIONAL category with some worldwide recognition.

Unless of course Tony knows something NASA doesn't about the asteroid about to hit the Earth causing another mass extinction. Then his category really could be called dinosaurs
I agree fully with what you have written - TC needs to realize that there are persons in high places who can see through the veneer and BS that he constantly spins about the V8's and the billions who watch it around the world .
We used to have the "Gold Coast Indy" and now we have nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29 Apr 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2681541)   #53
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The plot thickens.
Apparent;y the covered up ones are called "Miss V8 Supercar", and it would seem someone else has the title to the "Miss Indy" title and wants to continue promoting it.
As for TC having "taken over" the event my understanding is that he has been given 2 years, but the bar has been set so high for first year performance benchmarks that year 2 is very much in doubt.
As for senior people in Government wanting an International event, that is true, but my reading of the situation is that it would want to come gift wrapped, with iron clad guarantees, and very good TV viewing credentials before it would even get looked at in any depth. The current Local and State politicians would welcome (not on the public record) this year being a disaster so that they could bury the whole project.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 06:21 (Ref:2682020)   #54
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As for TC having "taken over" the event my understanding is that he has been given 2 years, but the bar has been set so high for first year performance benchmarks that year 2 is very much in doubt.
As for senior people in Government wanting an International event, that is true, but my reading of the situation is that it would want to come gift wrapped, with iron clad guarantees, and very good TV viewing credentials before it would even get looked at in any depth. The current Local and State politicians would welcome (not on the public record) this year being a disaster so that they could bury the whole project.
So he has two years according to you to make it right. What "gift wrapped " International category is out there, that can be considered.?
Quote:
The current Local and State politicians would welcome (not on the public record) this year being a disaster so that they could bury the whole project.
Who in their right mind would want to sabotage an event, that according to the Queensland Government was giving them International exposure. So now the Gold Coast does not want any International coverage? After years of trying to get it?
Quote:
He has come in for, at this stage, one year, while the QLD govt has stated - quite openly - they are still looking for a true 'international' category.
They are going to have a pretty long wait? There is nothing on the agenda to meet that criteria.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 30 Apr 2010 at 06:29.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 06:40 (Ref:2682022)   #55
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is the burial option Robert.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 06:44 (Ref:2682025)   #56
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Okay, DRT - I'll call you on it. I can't recall V8SA telling the public that the US guys were 'no names' - can you back that up with evidence?
Working on getting that evidence for you Tourer - as there is chest beating from V8SA & others over the years referring to Indy drivers as 'chumps' etc and saying that the v8's were the main act who attracted the crowds.

If this is true - why do they need the internationals now to keep the event alive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
As for your arithmetic - something wrong there - 18 internationals, only 7 of whom have competed in Champ Car / Indy car (amongst many other categories they have also driven in) in the period you talk about.

Sounds more like one-third to me, rather than the two-thirds you suggest.
My apologies, from 2002 - 2008 though we have in fact have 8 drivers including (Tags, Salo, Bourdais, Dixon, Franchitti, Power, Briscoe & Monteiro) = 44%

Still a hefty contribution from a category constantly belittled by the so called 'greatest touring car series in the world' who has called them in for the rescue.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 06:44 (Ref:2682026)   #57
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
There is the burial option Robert
Which runs totally counter to what the Queensland Govt and the Council have been trying to achieve for the last couple of years. In other words it is not an option.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 06:49 (Ref:2682027)   #58
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Okay, DRT - I'll call you on it. I can't recall V8SA telling the public that the US guys were 'no names' - can you back that up with evidence?
Tourer you are right they never said ,the US drivers and others of the Indycar circuit were no names. Various people in the media did.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 06:49 (Ref:2682028)   #59
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Working on getting that evidence for you Tourer - as there is chest beating from V8SA & others over the years referring to Indy drivers as 'chumps' etc and saying that the v8's were the main act who attracted the crowds.

If this is true - why do they need the internationals now to keep the event alive?

My apologies, from 2002 - 2008 though we have in fact have 8 drivers including (Tags, Salo, Bourdais, Dixon, Franchitti, Power, Briscoe & Monteiro) = 44%

Still a hefty contribution from a category constantly belittled by the so called 'greatest touring car series in the world' who has called them in for the rescue.
Thanks DRT - yeah, I missed Salo (l'd have to say that I don't think any of the listed drivers were or are chumps - some of the make-weights in the field in those days, well that's another story). Be interested to see what you come up with on quotes etc - might just be me not recalling well.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2682030)   #60
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Various Blogs at the time of the Lexmark 300 were calling CCWS, "Chumpcar" as there were drivers that were totally unknown entered.
Quote:
I have always understood the first “C” in CCWS stood for Champ, as in Champ Car World Series.
It’s become increasingly obvious I and the CCWS fans, both of them, have been sadly mistaken.
The “C” stands for Chump. And its two fans out number the media members that cared enough (READ: FAT per diem) to attend
Old 30 Apr 2010, 06:57 (Ref:2682031)   #61
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all know it was said, but if it was drivers or the media or administration is now the question...

As for a ready international category...really the only one could be SuperGT and an ACO event...as they are the only ones with a decent TV coverage and following.
Superleague Formula might want to come over and they have great cars but would it fit the bill? Indycars - if they can repair that relationship and come to an understanding...WTCC? DTM? Nascar? But are they willing to come over...Does GT1 WC have a solid history behind it come over? Does GP2 fit? There are plenty of Series...depending on how tight the rules are going to be.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2682032)   #62
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
As for a ready international category...really the only one could be SuperGT and an ACO event...as they are the only ones with a decent TV coverage and following.
Superleague Formula might want to come over and they have great cars but would it fit the bill? Indycars - if they can repair that relationship and come to an understanding...WTCC? DTM? Nascar? But are they willing to come over...Does GT1 WC have a solid history behind it come over? Does GP2 fit? There are plenty of Series...depending on how tight the rules are going to be.
None of the series you have listed are "Gift wrapped" as OldTony said or have the finances or desire to race here.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 07:17 (Ref:2682036)   #63
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No series will make it here as long as TC is in charge. Everything is a threat as everything is as good or better than the series he currently promotes (V8SC).
It like having a snake looking after the chickens eggs...

The top two(on my list) are LM sport cars or the current Indy car series.
ALMS could work too but just having the V8SC is BORING. Sorry to offend the noisy few but thats my opinion.
Is AGT part of the program or are they too big a threat to the 'main game'??
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:19 (Ref:2682072)   #64
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Which runs totally counter to what the Queensland Govt and the Council have been trying to achieve for the last couple of years. In other words it is not an option.
It is very much an option Rob, and is in fact the preffered option for a significant number of politicians who depend on votes and seats om the Gold Coast. Yes the event has done some great things for Gold Coast promotion in the past, but it has run out of overseas interest from a media (TV) point of view, and has now run out of the unique X factor that is needed to bring in visitors from the rest of Australia and NZ.
In V8 form it just doesn't have any appeal to the target market that Gold Coast business and politicians want to interest. That being the case why keep bearing the political pain when there is very little gain?
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2682090)   #65
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
In V8 form it just doesn't have any appeal to the target market that Gold Coast business and politicians want to interest. That being the case why keep bearing the political pain when there is very little gain?
Give him his two years. If Tony can make it happen fine, otherwise the Gold Coast will have to look at other ways of attracting an overseas audience. Other series are pretty dead in the water at this stage.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 10:24 (Ref:2682112)   #66
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Quote:
Give him his two years. If Tony can make it happen fine, otherwise the Gold Coast will have to look at other ways of attracting an overseas audience. Other series are pretty dead in the water at this stage.
Fair comment!
The pity is it probably won't involve motor sport.
There will always be those of who wonder if Tony has been deliberately set up to fail by the politicians, and has walked right into the trap?
Alternatively in his ambition to tottaly control everything motor racing has he over reached himself and sowed the seeds of his own failiure?
Old 30 Apr 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2682115)   #67
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Fair comment!
The pity is it probably won't involve motor sport.
There will always be those of who wonder if Tony has been deliberately set up to fail by the politicians, and has walked right into the trap?
Alternatively in his ambition to tottaly control everything motor racing has he over reached himself and sowed the seeds of his own failiure?
To use a very hackneyed cliche"all will be revealed in the fullness of time"
Old 1 May 2010, 03:37 (Ref:2682527)   #68
cavvy
Veteran

Interesting suggestion :
None of the series you have listed are "Gift wrapped" as OldTony said or have the finances or desire to race here.

I doubt Tony has tried for the good reason of self interest.

Has anyone else? I see the Aus GT series as compromised by its own rules & unlikely.
Who would chase ALMS?

F3 via a link to Macau is my preference but F3 locally has its own problems. The plus is TV in the right time zone into Asia, a Queensland tourist target market.
Who would pursue this option?

Not sure I agree with Robert about dead in the water options, I'm not convinced they have been explored.
Old 1 May 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2682640)   #69
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
F3 via a link to Macau is my preference but F3 locally has its own problems. The plus is TV in the right time zone into Asia, a Queensland tourist target market.
Who would pursue this option?

Not sure I agree with Robert about dead in the water options, I'm not convinced they have been explored.
If they were interested they would be the ones looking at possibilities, rather than the other way around.
Old 3 May 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2683958)   #70
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
GT1 was available. and in fact put the issue of this years callendar on hold until a decision on Surfers was made. There is still a gap in their callendar where it was going to fit. The questions were What was it going to cost? and at that stage FIA GT was beong upgraded to the GT1 spec and Mr Ratel was not a known factor to many outside the GT area and was probably looked upon with some doubt after the experiences with Tony George and Tony Tiexiera. So far the racing in GT1 seems to have been good, if somewhat controversial, and the cars are loud and spectacular.
Does anyone outside the inner circle know what the cost analysis on it was?
Old 3 May 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2683978)   #71
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
GT1 was available. and in fact put the issue of this years callendar on hold until a decision on Surfers was made. There is still a gap in their callendar where it was going to fit. The questions were What was it going to cost? and at that stage FIA GT was beong upgraded to the GT1 spec and Mr Ratel was not a known factor to many outside the GT area and was probably looked upon with some doubt after the experiences with Tony George and Tony Tiexiera
Last thing the organisers want is another A1GP fiasco. Too many" ifs and buts". The other thing going against it is few people , even in the local racing fraternity, know anything about it. It sounds very much like a category for well to do "gentlemen" rather than talented drivers with a substantial racing background.
Old 3 May 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2683985)   #72
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Rob, I think the attraction of the FIA GT1 World championship is very much the cars rather than the drivers. Aston, Maserati, Corvette, Nissan GTR, Lambo etc and promotable as "genuine" Supercars. They do get coverage on international TV. And they would provide what is missing from the proposed programe, something visually different.
Agreed a punt on Stephan Ratel would have looked risky, but then they took a punt on a third "Tony" in a row. The reputation now carried by that name has me looking in the mirror with some suspicion these days.
Old 3 May 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2683987)   #73
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Rob, I think the attraction of the FIA GT1 World championship is very much the cars rather than the drivers. Aston, Maserati, Corvette, Nissan GTR, Lambo etc and promotable as "genuine" Supercars.
Might be great in a Concourse D'Elegance, but Indycar, V8Supercar and A1GP was/is more about the drivers and Nations involved collectively and the drivers interaction with the fans. The cars were always a secondary attraction.(You could argue the "Party" was the main one)
Old 3 May 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2683993)   #74
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GT1 WC - the cars are certainly the stars, but the drivers are good as well with Romain Grosjean, Karl Wendlinger, Enrique Bernoldi, Tomas Enge, Mika Salo, Ricardo Zonta all having competed in F1 - not to mention the vast array of accomplished sportscar drivers and other guys who have raced successfully in single seaters and F1 testers.

And since when, at Indy, have the cars been the main attraction? For a long time, it has been the party.

And as I understand it, GT1 was gift wrapped as was Superleague and GP2 Asia - but you could understand the worry behind both of them. I think SuperGT could have easily been swayed too, but TC's desire to run it himself was too loud.
Old 3 May 2010, 23:36 (Ref:2683995)   #75
cavvy
Veteran

Macau F3

Quote:
If they were interested they would be the ones looking at possibilities, rather than the other way around.
Dont disagree Robert, but my point is that F3 Aus would get very little, if any spin off & dont appear to have money to investigate &/or put a case.
Tony has no reason to investigate at this time.
CAMS appear interested only in vesting category rights in others & in this case we stand to lose what has been a headline event.

With a 50+ year history at Macau, there is a successful meeting to 'hitch our wagon' to.