Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Sep 2010, 09:16 (Ref:2765920)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well its hard to argue with sales figures
Old 28 Sep 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2766299)   #27
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Sales figures more likely reflect Toyota's reputation for quality and reliability.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 23:44 (Ref:2766371)   #28
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Sales figures more likely reflect Toyota's reputation for quality and reliability.
So if they are the leading car manufacturer with a reputation for quality, reliability - why would there be a need to dump a 'successful' AFL sponsorship to switch to V8SA which has less interest from the public.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 01:16 (Ref:2766389)   #29
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
So if they are the leading car manufacturer with a reputation for quality, reliability - why would there be a need to dump a 'successful' AFL sponsorship to switch to V8SA which has less interest from the public.

Because which marketing genius will want to tell their client that they don't need to spend all those millions on advertising

But it is true, none of the guys/girls I watch AFL with have brought or going to buy a Toyota, but plenty of people are buying them, and I would wager most of those type of buyers are in no way influenced by the sponsorship of the AFL. But when you got the market share that Toyota has your not trying to "win" buyers by advertising just keeping you brand awareness up and getting that in front of 25% of the population at the GF is something Bathurst can't compete with.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 05:12 (Ref:2766426)   #30
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
As the leading car manufacturer why do they need to keep sponsoring AFL?.......most likely someone in management is a keen AFL supporter........a waste of money IMO.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 05:55 (Ref:2766440)   #31
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will targetting the people that watch V8 Supercars increase Toyota's already dominant position in the Australian car market? I doubt it...

The fact is V8 Supercars attracts (mostly) motorsport fans and Ford and Holden loyalists. AFL and NRL attract a much broader cross-section of the community... A cross-section that are traditionally far more likely than the V8 Supercar crowd to buy a Toyota.

There is nothing that I've read in any of the links in this thread to change my point of view that Toyota is not interested in V8 Supercars - and the only party that is really interested in having Toyota in V8 Supercars is V8 Supercars...
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:07 (Ref:2766493)   #32
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Peckstar take out the sales to mining companies and I think you would find that toyota has a lot smaller share of the rest of the market than what they do now. All of the top toyota dealerships in Australia are located in mining areas or have large fleet sales to the mining sector. I would love to see what their sales figures were without mining.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:32 (Ref:2766507)   #33
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's fleets in general...

Fleet buyers tend to look favourably upon a company thet can offer directors and management Lexus, sales reps Klugers and RAV4s and Aurions, tradesmen Hiluxes and Hiaces, regional operators LandCruisers, lower level employees Corollas and Yaris...

No other company is has as many competitive models in as many market segments in this country.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2766575)   #34
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
It's fleets in general...

Fleet buyers tend to look favourably upon a company thet can offer directors and management Lexus, sales reps Klugers and RAV4s and Aurions, tradesmen Hiluxes and Hiaces, regional operators LandCruisers, lower level employees Corollas and Yaris...
They probably also look favourably on a company who can get them hospitality boxes at AFL matches... Headline sponsorship of something this big usually brings not only public exposure but advantageuos cost/availability of hospitality.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2766720)   #35
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As the leading car manufacturer why do they need to keep sponsoring AFL?.......most likely someone in management is a keen AFL supporter........a waste of money IMO.
As the title sponsor of AFL, Toyota is in a unique position to schmooze suppliers, fleet buyers, lobbyists, anyone they want to have a word with in the social business environment.

The amount of business that is done in the corporate boxes at major football games can be measured in the tens of millions of dollars.

Toyota did not just step into AFL from nowhere with title sponsorship of the league. They spent years as a sponsor of the Adelaide Crows. Obviously the saw benefits from sponsoring the Crows that flowed through to the business. They saw the opportunity to ramp up the scale of return by spnsoring the whole league instead of just one team.

They have found a fantastic opportunity in the AFL. It would be corporate insanity if they did not exploit it. It's an opportunity that V8 Supercar just does not provide.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2766856)   #36
Falcon GT
Rookie

Falcon GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Why? Part of the reason they moved in the first place was because there other categories use GM cars.

And Dane will also tell you that 888 Australia have no links with 888 UK

He's getting a paltry 1 million a year from Holden why would this money monger stay at holden when he could line his pockets at Toyota
Old 30 Sep 2010, 01:46 (Ref:2766947)   #37
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Bluesport you are most entitled to you opinion.

However to suggest that it is a waste of money without being able to provide any evidence to support it is ridiculous.

Furthermore to suggest that a better option would be to get involved in another sport that doesnt compare or compete the value or interest that the AFL experiences shows a complete lack of understanding as to why corporations get involved in sport.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 30 Sep 2010 at 02:00.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 02:18 (Ref:2766952)   #38
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Bluesport you are most entitled to you opinion.

However to suggest that it is a waste of money without being able to provide any evidence to support it is ridiculous.

Furthermore to suggest that a better option would be to get involved in another sport that doesnt compare or compete the value or interest that the AFL experiences shows a complete lack of understanding as to why corporations get involved in sport.
D.R.T........you need to have a better understanding of the English language.

1. I don't need evidence to support what I said because "IMO" means that it is only my opinion (no evidence required).
2. Can you show me the post where I said they should get involved with another sport?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 05:06 (Ref:2766962)   #39
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon GT View Post
He's getting a paltry 1 million a year from Holden why would this money monger stay at holden when he could line his pockets at Toyota
I know for a fact that Mr Dane was a visitor to Toyota House about two or three years ago...

However, I maintain that V8 Supercars (and those involved in it) are far more enthusiastic about Toyota being in V8s than Toyota is...

People at Toyota Australia have long memories.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 05:59 (Ref:2766971)   #40
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
1. I don't need evidence to support what I said because "IMO" means that it is only my opinion (no evidence required).
2. Can you show me the post where I said they should get involved with another sport?
My apologies bluesport. You are correct in saying that you dont evidence to have an opinion. However evidence would give your opinion more value if you can support it as your opinion is obviously based off something to make you think the sponsorship is a waste?

You are correct that you did not say they should get involved in another sport. I assumed (dangerous move on my part) that as you disagreed with my post that

"sponsoring the AFL premiership provides more value than winning the Bathurst 1000 in a Toyota" that you therefore would support Toyota's move their support to V8SA
Old 30 Sep 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2767001)   #41
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
My apologies bluesport. You are correct in saying that you dont evidence to have an opinion. However evidence would give your opinion more value if you can support it as your opinion is obviously based off something to make you think the sponsorship is a waste?

You are correct that you did not say they should get involved in another sport. I assumed (dangerous move on my part) that as you disagreed with my post that

"sponsoring the AFL premiership provides more value than winning the Bathurst 1000 in a Toyota" that you therefore would support Toyota's move their support to V8SA
Apology not necessary........let's move on.
Old 2 Oct 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2768109)   #42
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeldwen are getting bang for their buck in the AFL final series, plus the 22 week season.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2768603)   #43
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Story Here

More to the Story Here

True/not true?

The piece not sitting well with me is the notion that Toyota is withdrawing from title sponsorship of the AFL..
GTR, Almost a year to the day.... difference is only the name of the Talking Head....

I did love this line:
"We will be looking at it very soon," said a Toyota spokesman. And for the first time in a long time, we can happily report that the Victorian code out-rated the NRL in off-field atrocities.

Atrocities , I'm sorry I didn't realise that TC had taken V8 Supercars or either of the Footy codes to the Congo, or Somalia, or Afghanistan.....

Some of these oxygen thieves, purporting to be Journalists, really need to go out & buy a mirror.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2768633)   #44
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
I did love this line:
"We will be looking at it very soon," said a Toyota spokesman. And for the first time in a long time, we can happily report that the Victorian code out-rated the NRL in off-field atrocities.
And that line's gonna be a lie if the rumour I heard regarding a betting scandal occurs, but I digress.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 00:26 (Ref:2768864)   #45
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmookeyj033 View Post
And that line's gonna be a lie if the rumour I heard regarding a betting scandal occurs, but I digress.
Yes, I heard this morning that 2 players have been given lifetime bans.......one very high profile rep player and captain of his club........the other is at the end of his career and always in the news for the wrong thing........only rumour at this stage I suppose, but the NRL wanted the GF over before announcing. This week maybe?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 03:48 (Ref:2768892)   #46
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmookeyj033 View Post
Quote:
Yes, I heard this morning that 2 players have been given lifetime bans.......one very high profile rep player and captain of his club........the other is at the end of his career and always in the news for the wrong thing........only rumour at this stage I suppose, but the NRL wanted the GF over before announcing. This week maybe?
David Gallop squarely squashed those rumours last week...
Old 4 Oct 2010, 08:13 (Ref:2768943)   #47
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
David Gallop squarely squashed those rumours last week...
I hope you're right. I read the previous post then this morning I went to a mates place and he told me the details without me prompting.......only rumours maybe but they haven't gone away.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 01:01 (Ref:2769530)   #48
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rumours like how a certain high profile player who was out through "injury" although some believed it was to dodge drug testing... fairly well backed up by his almost as high profile brother's actions... and later it is confirmed there was some drug taking, but the 2 scenarios never met...

who's to say apart from the people involved i guess? won't stop opinions and counter claim being offered. just ask GTRMagic
Old 5 Oct 2010, 02:20 (Ref:2769540)   #49
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
rumours like how a certain high profile player who was out through "injury" although some believed it was to dodge drug testing... fairly well backed up by his almost as high profile brother's actions... and later it is confirmed there was some drug taking, but the 2 scenarios never met...

who's to say apart from the people involved i guess? won't stop opinions and counter claim being offered. just ask GTRMagic
We may be talking about different players........there is no brother that I know of.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 03:38 (Ref:2769550)   #50
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
We may be talking about different players........there is no brother that I know of.
the ones i am talking about, one has a show on one network, and used to be on a show that the other is a panel member of another network. all happened a couple of years ago now... allegedly?