Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Nov 2010, 05:56 (Ref:2789956)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
V8 Supercars "Australia" and James Courtneys Wheel of Misfortune

2 rounds, 2 penalties.

Yes, the Gold Coast penalty technically WAS warranted, and yes, this one at Symmons is also a breach of the rules, but what gets me is the fact that it took so long for Greg Crick and his band of merry men to decide that yes, James did in fact deserve a penalty for faltering in the wet conditions and running Caruso (Caruso?) off the road.

I know there has already been many posts on the sheer incompetency of the officials this year, and I just need to echo my thoughts.

Why would somebody even think of making a rule forbidding the use of handbrakes? If someone thought of ripping the handbrake during the race or qualifying they shouldn't be allowed within 500m of a V8 Supercar to start with...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 14 Nov 2010, 06:01 (Ref:2789958)   #2
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem is lack of consitency. Plenty of non championship contendeds have been using morse code to pass cars just as JC has, but no penalties......

'drive through for car #18'
my thoughts at that moment 'championshipis abit open atm, lets close it up '

Should just ask VESA who's name they've actually already put on the trophy, because clearly they've already made their decision.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 06:06 (Ref:2789959)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
as you said the descion was correct in this case, but how come they ping the giz for something that was line ball within a lap, but it takes about ten laps to get JC,

Also and this is one they should fix up, the penalised him before the safety car, so why does he have to serve the penalty after the safety car, surely the correct descision is to put him to the back of the field for the re-start
Old 14 Nov 2010, 07:52 (Ref:2789983)   #4
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
2 rounds, 2 penalties.

Yes, the Gold Coast penalty technically WAS warranted, and yes, this one at Symmons is also a breach of the rules, but what gets me is the fact that it took so long for Greg Crick and his band of merry men to decide that yes, James did in fact deserve a penalty for faltering in the wet conditions and running Caruso (Caruso?) off the road.

I know there has already been many posts on the sheer incompetency of the officials this year, and I just need to echo my thoughts.

Why would somebody even think of making a rule forbidding the use of handbrakes? If someone thought of ripping the handbrake during the race or qualifying they shouldn't be allowed within 500m of a V8 Supercar to start with...
Plan B, the pretender could follow the rules.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 07:56 (Ref:2789984)   #5
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
[QUOTE=STEALTHY;2789958]Problem is lack of consitency. Plenty of non championship contendeds have been using morse code to pass cars just as JC has, but no penalties....QUOTE]
Morse code is one thing. A D pillar hit
iis another thing. As said earlier, crashey dodged a bullet at T-ville. Tough that for him that the rules were applied. For once.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 08:00 (Ref:2789986)   #6
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
No Marcos, it is easier to blame the officials
Old 14 Nov 2010, 08:25 (Ref:2789992)   #7
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Morse code is one thing. A D pillar hit is another thing. As said earlier, crashey dodged a bullet at T-ville. Tough that for him that the rules were applied. For once.
Yes, the penalty was deserved. The point is, it seems the only people who get penalties are people who seem to get a lead in the championship.

No-one likes one person dominating, but the best team should win. Otherwise they should just not have any points, and just draw the champion out of a hat at the finale.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2790016)   #8
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That really has nothing to do with what I'm trying to discuss, Courtney's just the example of my point...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 14 Nov 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2790624)   #9
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that JC did deserve a penalty for tapping the GRM car but a drive through isn't the way to go... Give them a time penalty at the end of the race as you spoil a decent race if you give a drive through or a stop n go penalty.

And the so called officals in the tower need to get a reality check as some of there penaltys are starting to get beyond the joke. As in the GC round - You can not withdraw a black flag once its been called...
Old 14 Nov 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2790652)   #10
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post

Should just ask VESA who's name they've actually already put on the trophy, because clearly they've already made their decision.

or has holden just bought the first pit box for the next few years???

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)
Old 14 Nov 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2790708)   #11
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by redesp View Post
or has holden just bought the first pit box for the next few years???
No .
Old 15 Nov 2010, 00:01 (Ref:2790716)   #12
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two possible reasons for this:

a) They took time to review as much info as possible prior to giving the penalty to ensure it was warranted given the circumstances. It was wet, therefore a little more leniency is shown, and of course the fact that JC is a title contender.
b) First time for Greg Crick as driver judge this weekend so understandable that he took a little extra time to ensure he got it right - which he did. I thought he had a pretty good weekend overall on the issues, especially since it was wet and SP is a difficult place to race due to it being so tight.

That said, they probably should have had the decision made before the Safety Car. Forcing him to serve it afterwards really hurt him in that race. Had he managed to serve it before he could have made up more places while the field was bunched up and not lost as many spots.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 00:29 (Ref:2790724)   #13
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Problem is lack of consitency. Plenty of non championship contendeds have been using morse code to pass cars just as JC has, but no penalties......

'drive through for car #18'
my thoughts at that moment 'championshipis abit open atm, lets close it up '

Jamie Wincup is already on as VE$A can use that in the PR steaks more than JC winning.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 15 Nov 2010, 00:43 (Ref:2790734)   #14
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
a) They took time to review as much info as possible prior to giving the penalty to ensure it was warranted given the circumstances. It was wet, therefore a little more leniency is shown, and of course the fact that JC is a title contender.
Whats the deal with this? I've seen a few people claim 'it was wet' as an excuse. If its wet, you brake sooooner, if you dont, deal with the penalty.

Almost like frostys excuse when he spun Tander a few years back (wasn't wet, but his reason was 'I had nothing left' (brakes), well duh, that means you should have started stopping sooner)
Old 15 Nov 2010, 00:48 (Ref:2790737)   #15
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That said, they probably should have had the decision made before the Safety Car. Forcing him to serve it afterwards really hurt him in that race. Had he managed to serve it before he could have made up more places while the field was bunched up and not lost as many spots.
interesting that i heard Timmeeh broadcast it to someone just before Will's engine let go, about 5 seconds. Not sure who he broadcast it to, but would have been interesting if JC's engineer had lightning reflexes and got JC into pit lane then and there, as he was about 100m shy of the entry point at the time, with a smoking Car #22 just ahead
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:27 (Ref:2790807)   #16
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Whats the deal with this? I've seen a few people claim 'it was wet' as an excuse. If its wet, you brake sooooner, if you dont, deal with the penalty.

Almost like frostys excuse when he spun Tander a few years back (wasn't wet, but his reason was 'I had nothing left' (brakes), well duh, that means you should have started stopping sooner)
Not an excuse - mitigating factor when determining whether it's negligence/carelessness or a racing incident. As was proven by JC's penalty, it's not a get out of gaol free card - but it's a potential consideration.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 04:02 (Ref:2790816)   #17
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Not an excuse - mitigating factor when determining whether it's negligence/carelessness or a racing incident. As was proven by JC's penalty, it's not a get out of gaol free card - but it's a potential consideration.
I wasn't reffering to you specifically, just you brought up the point. Other people have said it in the past, oh it was wet so its a racing incident. No, its still careless driving...
Old 15 Nov 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2791376)   #18
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
I wasn't reffering to you specifically, just you brought up the point. Other people have said it in the past, oh it was wet so its a racing incident. No, its still careless driving...
I think we're in wholehearted agreement here.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 03:31 (Ref:2791425)   #19
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Jamie Wincup is already on as VE$A can use that in the PR steaks more than JC winning.
Those PR steaks will be popular on the top of the mountain next year