Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Jan 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3018803)   #1
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you could make a new Grand Prix anywhere in the world...

If you could make a new grand prix (street circuit or track), where would you put it? And with what series?

I'd love to have a race here in Honolulu, Hawaii! Even if teams have to ship their cars here, they'd get tons of sunshine for the Aloha Grand Prix! I know that it's never going to happen, but that doesn't mean I can't dream of ALMS running on the streets here!

I guess another one on my mind was a return to the streets of Washington D.C. Noise complaints killed the race, but that doesn't make the idea of it any less awesome!
Old 30 Jan 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3018811)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't. I'd kill off a couple of the ersatz $$$-driven new ones and make sure that France had a decent one. And that places like Spa continued to have one.

Regards

Jim
Old 30 Jan 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3018828)   #3
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
I'd love to have a race here in Honolulu, Hawaii! Even if teams have to ship their cars here, they'd get tons of sunshine for the Aloha Grand Prix! I know that it's never going to happen, but that doesn't mean I can't dream of ALMS running on the streets here!
What, is the Hawaiian Super Prix not good enough for you? Yikes, just reading that article again makes me wonder how stupid the FIA could be for putting Andrew Craig on the endurance racing panel or whatever it is. Then again, it seems quite fitting all things considered.

Quote:
I guess another one on my mind was a return to the streets of Washington D.C. Noise complaints killed the race, but that doesn't make the idea of it any less awesome!
Baltimore isn't far, but that might be another one-and-done deals too.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3019038)   #4
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does my backyard count?

Seriously though, I'd love to see one in the streets of San Francisco.

Can you imagine the elevation changes?
Old 30 Jan 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3019045)   #5
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the term "Grand Prix" generally reserved to single seater racing, in particular to F1 (at least since 1981)?
Old 30 Jan 2012, 21:55 (Ref:3019114)   #6
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
Isn't the term "Grand Prix" generally reserved to single seater racing, in particular to F1 (at least since 1981)?
Just what I was thinking in the Sportscar and GT racing forum.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:00 (Ref:3019119)   #7
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
The term "Grand Prix" is used loosely in North America. For example, the ALMS race at Lime Rock is the "ALMS Northeast Grand Prix" and ALMS Mosport is the Grand Prix of Mosport.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3019124)   #8
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brands Hatch - With F1, WEC, Super GT, DTM, BOSS GP & VLN on the bill.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:27 (Ref:3019142)   #9
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surfers Paradise
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:27 (Ref:3019144)   #10
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mogadishu, Somalia with an FIA World Championship
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3019149)   #11
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Mogadishu, Somalia with an FIA World Championship
Ohhh yeah! That sounds like just the thing the ACO has been looking for! I smell a Bahrain-Somalia doubleheader in the works, but that could just be the smell of the tear gas speaking.

On a related note, FCP, did you ever receive your tickets to the Turks and Caicos Grand Prix?
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3019152)   #12
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Ohhh yeah! That sounds like just the thing the ACO has been looking for! I smell a Bahrain-Somalia doubleheader in the works, but that could just be the smell of the tear gas speaking.

On a related note, FCP, did you ever receive your tickets to the Turks and Caicos Grand Prix?
Nope, it got cancelled when it's government (and hopefully Gene Simmons) were all jailed by the British.

I hear the ruling Progressive Labour Party may be planning a Formula 6 and GT4 Grand Prix here in Bermuda, unless they run out of taxpayer money....
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3019157)   #13
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Was there a real plan for this? I am actually surprised Kerzner hasn't done a track around Atlantis. Revive Nassau Speed Week.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3019163)   #14
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Nope, it got cancelled when it's government (and hopefully Gene Simmons) were all jailed by the British
Damn, don't you hate it when that happens?! But, hey, at least Gene Simmons left the racing world with this little gem. On that note, I think the WEC needs an anthem. "I am Bahrain?" The ALMS too. Maybe Beck should sing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Was there a real plan for this? I am actually surprised Kerzner hasn't done a track around Atlantis. Revive Nassau Speed Week.
Yeah, there was a plan for it. I don't think any of us actually expected it to happen, but there was a plan for it.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3019168)   #15
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yeah, there was a plan for it. I don't think any of us actually expected it to happen, but there was a plan for it.
wow....I have not been there so don't know, but are there actually paved roads on any of those islands?
Old 30 Jan 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3019170)   #16
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Two words: WEC - Nordschleife

The race on Sunday, the funeral service on Monday..
Old 30 Jan 2012, 23:28 (Ref:3019181)   #17
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
wow....I have not been there so don't know, but are there actually paved roads on any of those islands?
According to Wikipedia, Turks and Caicos has 24 km of paved roads. I think the plan was to build a track from scratch, but I'm not sure. I don't think anyone really took the announcement seriously enough to bother thinking about it. Maybe FCP knows more about the details.