Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Feb 2015, 08:25 (Ref:3503198)   #2501
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the discussed during the telecast that the cars are so much more reliable now does this mean that they take more risks and drive more aggressive?

I
Old 9 Feb 2015, 08:27 (Ref:3503199)   #2502
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Great to hear that Pat Long and CJ have said that they will definitely be back in a GT3-R which is great, however Long's comment in regard to having so many yellows being " they need a different class structure" is difficult to understand as i thought that the slower cars did a great job and many of the accidents were caused by overly forceful Class A drivers
?
Scud might have some good news too, but I'm sure he'll tell you when he's ready
PLZZZ Let it be the new lambo!!!
Old 9 Feb 2015, 08:51 (Ref:3503204)   #2503
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
the discussed during the telecast that the cars are so much more reliable now does this mean that they take more risks and drive more aggressive?
That sure is a part of it - however, I think that the availability of relatively overpowered GT3 drives for amateurs and young hot shots is an issue as well. Ten years ago, we had a good dozen of cars that could realistically go for an overall win at Spa or the Nürburgring - much less than that at the 'Ring in many years- so the driver crews on those cars would be of very high quality. Not all-pro of course, but people with more money than brains usually had a hard time getting a seat in a potential overall contender. Nowadays, everybody and their grandma can get a GT3-ride, resulting in substandard talent in very fast machines and on very unforgiving tracks.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 08:53 (Ref:3503205)   #2504
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
I know they have to have the sand traps but it annoyed me to see the safety car come out when someone merely beached it in the sand. Felix Baumgartner putting the Marc Mazda into the fence was disgraceful.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3503206)   #2505
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
That sure is a part of it - however, I think that the availability of relatively overpowered GT3 drives for amateurs and young hot shots is an issue as well. Ten years ago, we had a good dozen of cars that could realistically go for an overall win at Spa or the Nürburgring - much less than that at the 'Ring in many years- so the driver crews on those cars would be of very high quality. Not all-pro of course, but people with more money than brains usually had a hard time getting a seat in a potential overall contender. Nowadays, everybody and their grandma can get a GT3-ride, resulting in substandard talent in very fast machines and on very unforgiving tracks.
interesting observation

I wondered if the introduction of works teams to the 12 hour meant there were now professional drivers with the goal of winning only rather than amateur teams with the goal of finishing and hoping for a win
Old 9 Feb 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3503207)   #2506
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Finally found an article in a News ltd paper ... in the technology section because after all Gamers won the 12 hour

Nissan wins the Bathurst 12 Hour with GT Academy drivers behind the wheel

Yeah I looked through the pages of today's Herald Sun and nothing, there was however a page on the V8 test day. Ignorance is bliss
Old 9 Feb 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3503208)   #2507
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I know they have to have the sand traps but it annoyed me.
definitely annoying, but you cant really leave someone beached at murrays . Although maybe you can with less than ten mins to go and operate under yellows
Old 9 Feb 2015, 08:59 (Ref:3503209)   #2508
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Yeah I looked through the pages of today's Herald Sun and nothing, there was however a page on the V8 test day. Ignorance is bliss
might be a little more than ignorance. Foxtel is half owned by who....?
Old 9 Feb 2015, 09:06 (Ref:3503211)   #2509
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
2015 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 Hour: 6-8 February

Quote:
might be a little more than ignorance. Foxtel is half owned by who....?

Yeah I was thinking that myself but naively thought that wasn't the case. What a pity politics and egos prevents reporting of a race on our best track in the land that was enjoyed by many thousands of people and involved many international companies. I bet Nissans happy about being ignored.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 09:12 (Ref:3503213)   #2510
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Yeah I was thinking that myself but naively thought that wasn't the case. What a pity politics and egos prevents reporting of a race on our best track in the land that was enjoyed by many thousands of people and involved many international companies. I bet Nissans happy about being ignored.

I dont think they were ignored, at least 3 articles plus now that one i linked.

Just talking about the affordable Altima and not the that $150k GTR

however it would have been good to have an article last night.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 09:16 (Ref:3503214)   #2511
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Too many safety cars, but a top finish... eerily similiar to the 2014 Bathurst 1000

Most of the safety cars were caused by Class A or B cars either running into eachother or having accidents on their own.

A smaller field might help to a degree perhaps, but if you cleared out the Class D and I cars from last weekend i still think the safety car count would have been about the same given the way some were driving.
Agree on the Class A & B cars causing most of the issues, most of the time I saw the class C,D & I cars trying to get out of the way & certain Class A cars trying to round them up on the outside or forcing them close to or off the road.

You only needed to hear the commentators praising Chiyo in the Nissan for his patience in over taking cars,

Even if you had class A,B & C cars, you would still have cars running around in the 2:20's - 2:25's, the Ginetta's fastest lap (class C) was a 2:27.

The Marc Mazda 3 forced off the road did a 2:12, which is Class B pace

I believe they should have a lap cut off in qualifying of 2:25, that would allow cars such as the Audi TT RS, which did a 2:23, which is dam quick for a production car & even the Lynton BMW 1M which did a 2:25.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 09:58 (Ref:3503227)   #2512
goat69
Racer

goat69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone posted about the bentley being restricted and nissan being unrestricted a bit. I can't seem to find the post.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3503238)   #2513
msd76
Rookie

msd76 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think some of the problem is with how the different cars make their lap times, for example the Audi's seen to make all their time in and off the corners (they were epic across the top). Where the GT-R made all its time up and down the mountain and looked like it was on a Sunday drive across the top. And that would explain why the R8's were more likely to be involved in dive bombing of the lower class cars and the Nissan crew had the luxury of being patience. And the others made they lap times somewhere in-between these two in terms of corner vs. straight line speed.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 10:15 (Ref:3503239)   #2514
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat69 View Post
Someone posted about the bentley being restricted and nissan being unrestricted a bit. I can't seem to find the post.
I would expect the Bentleys to be faster next year.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 10:22 (Ref:3503241)   #2515
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I would expect the Bentleys to be faster next year.
The Bentley pilots may have said they were easy to drive, but the big white machines didnt look as planted as a 458 or R8 across the top.. maybe all that power got eaten up by wheelspin and/or traction control

Either way, local suspension tuning for Mr Edwards' car (hope it can be repaired for Clipsal) will improve the game..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Feb 2015, 11:02 (Ref:3503255)   #2516
Rookie

1961 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just home, extraordinary 5 days in Bathurst. Gutted by the Bentley being punted off but I think a Nissan win is fantastic. Best crowd ever, you had to struggle to get a position on the fence at McPhilamy. First time ever there was a traffic jam to get in at 5am. I think the best thing about this race is the amazing access you have to the cars and teams throughout the weekend. More on Thursday but still on all the other days. Bring it on B12hr 2016
Old 9 Feb 2015, 11:03 (Ref:3503257)   #2517
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd76 View Post
I think some of the problem is with how the different cars make their lap times, for example the Audi's seen to make all their time in and off the corners (they were epic across the top). Where the GT-R made all its time up and down the mountain and looked like it was on a Sunday drive across the top. And that would explain why the R8's were more likely to be involved in dive bombing of the lower class cars and the Nissan crew had the luxury of being patience. And the others made they lap times somewhere in-between these two in terms of corner vs. straight line speed.
Yeah that was definitely a big advantage for Nissan. Where the Audi had to take risks passing around corners (and narrow ones at that!) the Nissan could sit back and make its move safely down the straight. Great race again, that finish was pretty incredible but somehow it was again helped because the field was bunched up by a safety car...
Old 9 Feb 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3503262)   #2518
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingo View Post
I'm all for the Am driver rules in this race but the #29 Pirelli Ferrari was dangerously slow with a particular driver at the wheel. Before it got rear ended under yellow, the Audi TT RS was catching it across the top. I am sure I saw one of the BMWs actually pass it into McPhillamy. On the Saturday, said driver was running around holding people up in Qualifying. It was a joke.
A 2.25 cut-off mentioned in an earlier post would force this gentlemans hand on retirement as his best and only foray into sub-2.30's was a single 2.29 effort. He was a dangerous menace out there, using the straight line handling package every time. Raced you to the corners then wobbled through in virtual neutral. Was good luck rather than management that saw him nearly do minimum time whereas his crew could then throw out the shepherds crook. But the proverbial accident waiting to happen just did.

Time for him to go philanthropic instead and throw a good young driver a lifeline.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 11:51 (Ref:3503271)   #2519
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Intrigue is killing me

Huracan?
Corvette...?
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3503382)   #2520
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1961 View Post
Just home, extraordinary 5 days in Bathurst. Gutted by the Bentley being punted off but I think a Nissan win is fantastic. Best crowd ever, you had to struggle to get a position on the fence at McPhilamy. First time ever there was a traffic jam to get in at 5am. I think the best thing about this race is the amazing access you have to the cars and teams throughout the weekend. More on Thursday but still on all the other days. Bring it on B12hr 2016
Only 32k across three days.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:54 (Ref:3503388)   #2521
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Was there a tyre barrier where the mazda hit? The commentators said there wasnt but i thought maybe there was. difficult to tell from the footage
There was.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 21:40 (Ref:3503433)   #2522
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We arrived home last night, after a great weekend. To echo a few other comments, our only complaints were the new catch fences ruining photo opportunities, the bogan trash that has now infiltrated a brilliant race event and the marquees that the trash insist on setting up and blocking everyone else's view of sections of the circuit.
I don't have an issue with the people who set theirs up away from the fence leaving adequate space for people to walk past or view the race at the fence line. These arrogant ar$eholes need reining in with their track-side shantytowns at the B12hr, even if it is accepted for them to do so at their boganfest in October. The only saving grace was that they were congregating together along the top of the mountain. Like mind's attracted, perhaps.
The SC issue was an annoyance. I'm still of the opinion that more localized yellows should be used, with additional exits for the recovery vehicles to get off the circuit, plus a code 60 system. It's not an easy or affordable quickfix, given the layout of the track. I was happy with the result, although the Bentley Boys would be pretty pi$$ed off with the outcome.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 22:03 (Ref:3503448)   #2523
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
We arrived home last night, after a great weekend. To echo a few other comments, our only complaints were the new catch fences ruining photo opportunities, the bogan trash that has now infiltrated a brilliant race event and the marquees that the trash insist on setting up and blocking everyone else's view of sections of the circuit.
I don't have an issue with the people who set theirs up away from the fence leaving adequate space for people to walk past or view the race at the fence line. These arrogant ar$eholes need reining in with their track-side shantytowns at the B12hr, even if it is accepted for them to do so at their boganfest in October. The only saving grace was that they were congregating together along the top of the mountain. Like mind's attracted, perhaps.
The SC issue was an annoyance. I'm still of the opinion that more localized yellows should be used, with additional exits for the recovery vehicles to get off the circuit, plus a code 60 system. It's not an easy or affordable quickfix, given the layout of the track. I was happy with the result, although the Bentley Boys would be pretty pi$$ed off with the outcome.
Not sure why you feel the need to insult the 1000km fans

but in 30 years of going to the 1000km race i have never seen a marquee set up at the 1000km race along the fence. There has always been rules to stop this sort of behavior

the issue is an issue to the 12 hour race only and its fans ( based on the photos people who are part of this very forum) and mostly that is because its hot in February and there is little shade near the race track on top of the mountain.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 22:20 (Ref:3503454)   #2524
Hingo
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Hingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am surprised by the crowd figure only being reported as 6000 more than last year. To me it felt much busier on both Saturday and Sunday when I was there than the year before. I'm guessing the figure would have been much higher had there not been a test day at SMP. The big screen at the top of the mountain also helped bring the crowd to McPhillamy.

As others mentioned, there was a bit of a bogan element that wasn't there last year. I'm still not sure why people would bring Holden flags along. It was always going to happen.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 22:25 (Ref:3503456)   #2525
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingo View Post
I am surprised by the crowd figure only being reported as 6000 more than last year. To me it felt much busier on both Saturday and Sunday when I was there than the year before. I'm guessing the figure would have been much higher had there not been a test day at SMP. The big screen at the top of the mountain also helped bring the crowd to McPhillamy.

As others mentioned, there was a bit of a bogan element that wasn't there last year. I'm still not sure why people would bring Holden flags along. It was always going to happen.
6000 is 25% more than the 2014 crowd

big screen was there in 2014