Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 May 2003, 08:06 (Ref:590625)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Donington 4/5 May

What a great meeting. I was only there for Monday but I gather the Gentleman Drivers race on the Sunday was excallant as well.
I had a great battle in both the Top Hat and Cloth Cap and more to the point did not swap paint in either case. Sadly that was not the case for one GTA that was nudged by a Mustang. There seems to be a common theme with all Mustang drivers - they are the white van drivers of the historic racing world!
It was good to see some other ten tenthers there as well!
Old 6 May 2003, 08:24 (Ref:590635)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Morning Simon, we just went for the Monday too, I thought the top hat saloons was a fantastic spectacle, NIck Swift drove fantastically, I did wonder whether the Marshall might have something to say about his line through the chicane . . . .most of the time he was running over markers and flicking gravel at what ever was behind him! fantastic car control though. I can see your point about the Mustangs, they do seem to bully their way round . . . .I suppose thats part of being a yank tank and being about as nimble as Pavarotti
Old 6 May 2003, 08:38 (Ref:590648)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hahhaha it was good seeing you yesterday - I think these one hour races make fantastic races for viewer and racer alike and Donington is such a great circuit. I was the first driver in both races so when I was lining up for the cloth cap and heard Marcus Pye say that an Alfa had been t boned by a mustang I was expecting to return to find a twisted car. I was very relived to see it wasnt mine and that it did not look too serious!
Following a Lotus Cortina I have finally mastered Redgate - be committed and boot it around to stop the understeer!!
Old 6 May 2003, 08:55 (Ref:590672)   #4
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was that in the car you have for sale then Simon? One careful owner never raced or rallied?

Steve McQueen.
Old 6 May 2003, 09:10 (Ref:590684)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

yup! Have to say I had so much fun in it I am not too bothered if it takes some time to sell!!! I crawled out of the car absolutely knackered. The Eleven was quite simply superb and I cant waiut for the HSCC/VSCC meeting in a cpl weeks time! Looking at an earlier posting of yours do you have the times for that weekend?
Old 6 May 2003, 09:16 (Ref:590690)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

just to add to that as a Sprint GT weighing 860 kg I was very pleased to beat three GTA's - one of which I and my second driver swapped places back and fwds for 38 laps of Donington. Excellant fun and I went onto have a similar race against Simon Diffey in a TR4 against my 11!
Old 6 May 2003, 09:25 (Ref:590702)   #7
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
No further info yet, but I am seriously considering joining you lot next year, perhaps with a Fiat 124 Twinkie Pinifarina Spider, but as I am French resident it will have to be eligible for playtime over here, and I have no idea who I can play with except the HSCC..any info greatfully received. Infact if we can get together I would much appreciate an information gathering session.

Steve McQueen.
Old 6 May 2003, 09:27 (Ref:590705)   #8
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Yes and I know that the Lancias with the same engine probably handle better, but I like an open car with the motor in the right place driving the back wheels...call me old fashioned if you like...........

Last edited by eclectic; 6 May 2003 at 09:30.

Steve McQueen.
Old 6 May 2003, 09:40 (Ref:590717)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

you would run in the 70s roadsports with that I think. The downside of that series is that you are limited asto what else you can do with the car. I think that the longer races are such great value and fun its worth considering a 60's car. An Alfa 101 Spider if you like Italian rear wheel drive cars. There is one raced by Rollo Beale and he seems to have fun in it and I have seen it race in HSCC, Cloth Cap and I am fairly sure Gentlemen Drivers as well. The added bonus is that they are not fantastic money, I think there is an FIA papered one for sale through Gran Turismo at the moment. Plus as a man in Europe you would be able to do the Tour Auto in it. I am starting to talk myself into it!!! I am happy to chat abt it at Silverstone but getting a car that is fungible for as many series as possible is the key, and FIA papered cars I think is a must as racing is moving that way!
Old 6 May 2003, 09:41 (Ref:590718)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The three wasAlfas where nose to tail until the pitstops, you did well to head the pack, from a spectating point of view it was good that cars where running in little packs, as soon as one tussle was sorted another one would swiflty follow, I think that the cloeseness in performance across the saloon range maes the caring so close, to see a mini harrying a mustang until it gets past is quite something.
even the VX4/90, classic, and A40 where having a good battle for a while. roll on Silverstone in 2 weeks.

I must get a move on building my car, do my ARDS and join the fun . . . .this time next year !
Old 6 May 2003, 09:49 (Ref:590727)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

living close to one of the great circuits that also does ARDS you have no excuse!
Silverstone will be on the International Circuit so an added bonus! What has happened to the other Cortina GT which came out a cpl of times and then disappered - are they just waiting for you?!
Old 6 May 2003, 11:05 (Ref:590796)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I think Ill go to Thruxton to do my ARDS, its just been recommended by a good few people. Although Goodwood would be convenient.

Ive only ever seen a white and green GT in the CTCRC series, my preference would be for HRSR/top hat. given my budget Ill be down there with the classic and vauxhall . . .and perhaps a baby Alfa

until I find/acquire funds for an all steel screamer oh, and learn how to race!
Old 6 May 2003, 12:11 (Ref:590868)   #13
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
I was there for both days flagging and observing on Schwantz curve, (dare I admit to that?) and had a thoroughly good weekend. I was a bit gutted that the race I had been longing to see was red-flagged twice and then curtailed, but at least a Chevron (B16) won!.

All good relatively clean, close racing. The drivers should be congratulated on the entertainment that they provided.

For me, the driver/s of the weekend were the pedallers of that Cream/Burgundy hardtop Turner/Crossley (I think it was Number 44/18 depending on Sunday or Monday). Time after time it came under Starkeys bridge absolutely on the limit then shot past us with incredible speed. Worth the weekend just to see that cars antics!

Last edited by neilwaynesmith; 6 May 2003 at 12:12.
Old 6 May 2003, 12:18 (Ref:590873)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
that was a quick car, if a little noisy!
Old 6 May 2003, 12:21 (Ref:590879)   #15
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Yes, but you knew when it was on the way...

During one of the qualifying sessions I was able to track it by ear from Starkeys Bridge round to the start/finish line.

It's not often that something deflects my attention from AC's or Chevrons, but I was definitely cheering that car on.
Old 6 May 2003, 12:31 (Ref:590893)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

Jon Shipman and Mark Hales drive that - it was very quick, Jon takes his racing seriously with a full spanner team. He also had the blue Ford Anglia which has a Cosworth 1300 engine in it! Re Red Flags are you referring to the Sebring race? I was down for that but I went out in qualifying and to be frank terrified myself as the idea of being in a pre 65 saloon with a Lola T70 suddenly beside you mid old hairpin was not an enjoyable experience!!
Old 6 May 2003, 12:42 (Ref:590900)   #17
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
So you were a bit gutted when it barbequed itself on the Craner Curves then?

I did wonder about the logic of mixing those cars together, I have to say initially I was not happy about blue flagging that race due to the speed differential and the fact that we were on one of the fastest parts of the track. Fortunately I got it right almost all of the time so felt happy about the way I had flagged.

I was please to see that Chevrolet 150 out again. I remember it had a storming race at Donington against a MkII Jaguar last year, so I was surprised to see it in a different race this year.

Once again to all the drivers and co-ordinators involved, thank you for a great weekends entertainment.
Old 6 May 2003, 12:49 (Ref:590911)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

the marshalling was excellant and we were all very lucky with the weather! Donington is a very exciting track which on historic tyres consistantly tests your commitment/courage!
I am sadly not there again this year, but yesterdays racing was excellant fun, worth getting up at 4.0 am!!
Old 6 May 2003, 12:55 (Ref:590920)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

I should also add that Jon Shipman's crew helped me out of a tricky spot by lending me some numbers. Donington must be the only UK track where you cannot buy numbers!
Old 6 May 2003, 13:13 (Ref:590958)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Simon, there was a guy in a mobile unit by the petrol station selling Numbers!

Cosworth engine . . . .mmmm, Id sell my sole for the devil for one of those, Ive read about Shipmans car, abot 145-150 BHP they reckoned. definitely not standard Dagenham guts!
Old 6 May 2003, 13:41 (Ref:590991)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

I heard a rumour abt this man but all I found was an empty tent!!
I am not into Anglia's but it is an amazing car and absolutely flies but looking at the results was no match for the mini's!!
What was the second red flag for and was the Lola total toast? I was in the paddock trying to load my new trailer and missed it all - bloody typical!
Old 6 May 2003, 14:30 (Ref:591042)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I dont know about matching car performances, but anyone would have been hard pushed to beat nick yesterday, he was hopping around in the pit lane before he got in the car . . . .god knows what he had for breakfast but he was itching to go!

thats the other good thing about historic racing, money buys cars, (and maybe pays an old pro to drive for you) but you cant buy driving ability so you always get a good spread
Old 6 May 2003, 14:33 (Ref:591044)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

yes its a great equaller in a humble mini beating vvv expensive mustangs!
Old 6 May 2003, 15:01 (Ref:591085)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
with all due respect, Id reckon a mustang is a lot harder to drive than a mini, but having said that, equally driven, a mini should never be anywhere near one on the straight, in the dry. the wet is another story, keeping a mustang on the road is probably a major feat!
Old 6 May 2003, 15:05 (Ref:591092)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

true but it makes good David and Goliath type racing!! Certainly its a committed racer who hammers a mustang hard through corners like Craners! personally i can think of more fun cars to race for mustang money!