Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Mar 2004, 07:51 (Ref:894512)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Leinders stopped from practicing

It seems that Minardi were unable to secure a superlicence for Bas in time for the practice session. As the deal only happened last week.

http://www.formula1.com/news/1264.html

Bas has a F3 championship and driven F300 and Nippon so it shouldn't be a problem. Stoddart couldn't get it done in time.

He should have brought someone else for this race.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 09:46 (Ref:894621)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jos...?
Old 5 Mar 2004, 10:28 (Ref:894670)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has he been "classified in the first 4 of the final classification of the FIA F3000 International Championship within the previous 2 years;
or has been classified in the first 3 in at least 5 races, or in the first 6 in at least 10 races, of the FIA F3000 International Championship, within the previous 2 years" ?

I'm not too hot on his background, but I don't think he has been that near the front in F3000.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 10:37 (Ref:894682)   #4
Happy Hippo
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Happy Hippo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He drove in the World Series the last two years...
Old 5 Mar 2004, 10:47 (Ref:894697)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by cos
Has he been "classified in the first 4 of the final classification of the FIA F3000 International Championship within the previous 2 years;
or has been classified in the first 3 in at least 5 races, or in the first 6 in at least 10 races, of the FIA F3000 International Championship, within the previous 2 years" ?

I'm not too hot on his background, but I don't think he has been that near the front in F3000.
There's obviously a way around that clause though, as drivers who haven't even raced in International F3000 have got Superlicences in recent years- Raikkonen, Sato, Massa etc
Old 5 Mar 2004, 10:51 (Ref:894703)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes - if you have done - I think - 300km of testing in an F1 car to the satisfaction of an FIA observer.

But Bas hasn't.

Good move to enforce superlicences for the Friday role though, it prevents the third car being auctioned to the highest bidder.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 10:56 (Ref:894721)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As it stands he doesn't qualify for a superlicense, mainly because not enough credit is given to the World Series in terms of handing out superlicenses, which is silly because it shows off driver ability just as well.

The required 300km of testing will be done at some point in the next 2 weeks, allowing him to rejoin the team for Malasyia.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 11:04 (Ref:894732)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wasn't doubting Bas' ability just pointing out the rule.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 11:25 (Ref:894765)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Saved Stoddart's engine bill for the 3rd car huh
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:22 (Ref:895761)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was still worth flying him out to Australia though. He had a chance to meet the team and get used to the atmosphere at a Formula 1 weekend, and see from the other teams exactly what was likely ot be expected of him in Malaysia.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:37 (Ref:895783)   #11
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
As it stands he doesn't qualify for a superlicense, mainly because not enough credit is given to the World Series in terms of handing out superlicenses, which is silly because it shows off driver ability just as well.

The required 300km of testing will be done at some point in the next 2 weeks, allowing him to rejoin the team for Malasyia.
I think the main reason that he doesn't qualify for a super license at this moment, is that he failed to complete 300 km in a F1 car when he had the chance last month.

At this moment, he doesn't have recent experience which proves that it is save to let him drive amongst the F1 drivers.

There's an escape rule, which inexperienced drivers can use by driving 300 km without problems. He tried that, and he failed (on his first try).
So at this point, he still has to prove that he can drive a F1 safely for 300 km ...
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:41 (Ref:895787)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Don K - I think you're being a wee bit harsh in your interpretation of Bas.

He's certainly safer than many who have been given superlicences in the past.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 11:57 (Ref:895806)   #13
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Don K - I think you're being a wee bit harsh in your interpretation of Bas.

He's certainly safer than many who have been given superlicences in the past.
Probably.

But unfortunately, his recent results do not give him a super license.

Which means that he (an experienced driver without F1 experience) has to do the same "exam" as inexperienced drivers with lots of money: He has to show, that he can drive a F1 car safely for 300 km.

When he tried to do that, he managed to get off track and damage the car.
So at this moment, we have to expect (formally) that he'll do the same thing during friday's free practice. Which could (theoretically) endanger the other F1 drivers.

This rule was meant to protect drivers like Leinders from inexperienced drivers. And it backfires at this moment.

But if the FIA would let him drive without completing those 300 km, I'm afraid that any rich driver who fails to complete those 300 km, will be able to buy his way into a racing seat from now on.

---

There has to be some rule.

And Kimmi's results show us, that it is good to have some escape clause.

But with the current number of good and decent drivers without a seat, I think we don't need to escape the escape clause at this moment ...
Old 6 Mar 2004, 12:12 (Ref:895824)   #14
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will minhardly be able to test more than 300km in the next two weeks?!!LOL
They do less than that in a season don't they?