Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 9 Jan 2020, 16:49 (Ref:3950653)   #226
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Just acquired 1st edition of Touch Wood by Duncan Hamilton which I spotted in a secondhand bookshop window in Shrewsbury today. Complete with acceptable dust cover it cost me a whopping £9.50! A bit of a bargain, I reckon. I have read it before and an excellent read if I recall.
Lucky you! It's amazing what you can find in the most unlikely places & I invariably look in second-hand bookshops 'just in case'.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 12:33 (Ref:3950999)   #227
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, John, I always take the opportunity to browse …….. when I'm allowed to!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 25 Feb 2020, 20:47 (Ref:3959877)   #228
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Book: Car Racing 1967

I thought this might be of some interest to GPL racers:

https://www.rallyandracing.com/en/ra...r=sCampaign574
Old 26 Feb 2020, 22:42 (Ref:3960091)   #229
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I haven't followed every post in this thread so this might be repetition.I recently bought the new edition of Peter Grimsdale's book High Performance.Not solely about racing cars but absolutely riveting.
Old 27 Feb 2020, 07:32 (Ref:3960120)   #230
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I haven't followed every post in this thread so this might be repetition.I recently bought the new edition of Peter Grimsdale's book High Performance.Not solely about racing cars but absolutely riveting.
Ah yes, I found that one very cheap in a Bookends or somewhere before Christmas so bought it outof curiosity but haven't read it yet. Must find it & do so!

A fascinating read for me recently was Romano Artioli's book 'A Bugatti and Lotus Thriller!

It is his life story & told me a lot I didn't know. Well worth a read - he certainly doesn't pull any punches!
Old 10 Mar 2020, 03:03 (Ref:3962643)   #231
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished reading Brabham, by Tony Davis and Akos Armont.

A very enjoyable read, a great insight that era of drivers that were happy to drive Formula 1, Formula 2, sportscars, saloon cars and even Indy cars.

Always admired Jack, for his driving ability, running his own team and designing race cars.

On the weekend I got to have aclose look at the original BT1 on display at Longford, and you only then realise how basic and rudimentary those early F1 machines were.
Old 10 Mar 2020, 08:00 (Ref:3962660)   #232
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Le Mans aficionados will probably enjoy Malcolm Cracknell's Taking the World by Storm . It's an alternative history of Le Mans 1997 , centred around a team which is a thinly disguised version of Lister.

It's an entertaining romp - my review is on speedreaders.info

My other recent review on the same site is Karl Ludvigsen's Fast Friends . KL knew everyone who was anyone in the car business , and motorsport too and his insights into Carlo Abarth , Larry Shinoda, Alex von Falkenhausen , Mario Andretti and 19 other big beasts are fascinating
Old 30 Mar 2020, 22:12 (Ref:3967752)   #233
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brock at Bathurst, takes us back to 1969 when Peter Brock first raced at Bathurst up until his death in 2006.

Covers all his victories, the politics of motorsport, the co-drivers, the high and lows of heartbreak hill, team mates and the various cars.

A really great book, available online.
Old 30 Mar 2020, 22:15 (Ref:3967753)   #234
Kingair
Veteran

Elfin The Spirit of Speed, just seen this listed in Auto Action.

Not cheap, but would be an interesting book.

The website is elfinspiritofspeed.com.au
Old 7 Apr 2020, 08:37 (Ref:3969064)   #235
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
My latest read , and a very enjoyable one too , was A Race With Love and Death by Richard Williams . This is a new biography of Richard Seaman , the British driver who raced for Mercedes until his death in 1939.

Very highly recommended - the book describes the almost military machines that the Nazi funded Mercedes and Auto Union teams had become, and it also evokes the feverish environment of mid-late 30s Grand Prix racing .Seaman was talented, posh , rich and ambitious and if he does not come over as a likeable man , his story is still a compelling tragedy.

As ever , my 'proper' review is on speedreaders.info
Old 7 Apr 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3969076)   #236
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
In my time of lockdown I've had To Hell and Back by Lauda and Chasing the Title and Grand Prix Greats by Roebuck delivered. The latter two are great reads as I expected and I've started To Hell and Back, just need to find a moment to read some more
Old 7 Apr 2020, 12:23 (Ref:3969104)   #237
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I've got both of the last two. And the colour prints in Grand Prix Greats are excellent.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 09:19 (Ref:3970706)   #238
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Malcolm Cracknell's Taking the World by Storm
The Easter weekend under lockdown gave my the opportunity to sit in the sunshine and read my copy of Malcolm's book.

The story rolls along at a decent pace and isn't especially lengthy anyway (plus is printed on thick paper so I kept thinking I was turning over too many pages at once) so perfect for an easy read over a couple of days.

For good or ill it assumes the reader is familiar with Le Mans and sportscar racing in general.

The 'Notes from the real world' epilogue which details how the various tricks and scams in the story actually occured in reality is as interesting as the main story.

Well recommended for sportscar racing fans.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3972412)   #239
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if this has already been covered in this thread but I'm reposting this from the Stirling Moss historic thread if anyone is interested, it's a superb read
One of the best reads recounting the bygone motor racing era in which Stirling participated, it relates some real eye openers of not only the race( the '57 Pescara GP) but the drivers and their antics:
The Last Road Race by Richard Williams
Old 23 Apr 2020, 17:04 (Ref:3972419)   #240
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Sorry if this has already been covered in this thread but I'm reposting this from the Stirling Moss historic thread if anyone is interested, it's a superb read
One of the best reads recounting the bygone motor racing era in which Stirling participated, it relates some real eye openers of not only the race( the '57 Pescara GP) but the drivers and their antics:
The Last Road Race by Richard Williams
No, you are right - it is a great read. I originally read it about 15 years ago, so probably time for a re-read.
Old 28 Apr 2020, 20:08 (Ref:3973446)   #241
MattC
Rookie

MattC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Came across a new Porsche book after reading the review by blogger Joe Sherlock, his review is below and another showing sample pics, book cover etc. Got mine on amazon.com, but they seem to be out of stock at the moment. It's real nice, mainly covers the air cooled 356 & 911, which are my favorites anyway, lol.

Book cover & pics

Joe Sherlock review
Old 3 May 2020, 13:42 (Ref:3974256)   #242
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I've just received this and am finding it a fascinating read.
A good thick book too so it should keep me entertained for ages.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Book.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	664.5 KB
ID:	60446
Old 21 May 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3977482)   #243
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the most enlightening motor racing books I have ever read:
Cars at Speed by Robert Daley.
Originally written in 1960 and subsequently reprinted numerous times, it gives an insight into many forms of motorsport and as importantly, the drivers of bygone eras and the perils encountered, sometimes tragically. The introduction in my edition, written by the author in 2007 is as entertaining a story I have ever read, the authors apprenticeship in early motorsport journalism is fascinating in itself.
Old 19 May 2021, 07:32 (Ref:4052230)   #244
Kingair
Veteran

Niki Lauda The Biography by Maurice Hamilton, enjoyable read on Niki’s F1 career and business interests.
Old 20 May 2021, 06:01 (Ref:4052338)   #245
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I've been reading the Shadow book by Pete Lyons and Kar-Kraft by Charlie Hebry which is all about Ford USA's special vehicles division.

Both excellent.
Old 27 Jun 2021, 09:34 (Ref:4058386)   #246
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I recently bought A Race with Love and Death: The Story of Richard Seaman by Richard Williams and managed to finish reading it this week.

I've always been fascinated by the Richard Seaman character since I saw a Channel 4 Documentary on him in 2004 called Nazi Grand Prix. And I have to say this book is a great read. Plenty of detail into his life and helps clean up some myths about him too. Also makes you realise how, despite the threat of war, how much more camaraderie there was amongst drivers in the 30s. Just a shame it had to end for Seaman when he was at his peak. A case of what might have been.

Anyway, get the book if you can, it's money well spent. Especially if you want to know more about the Grand Prix racing of that era, as it's an era that in my view doesn't quite get the exposure it should get
Old 27 Jun 2021, 09:55 (Ref:4058388)   #247
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I recently bought A Race with Love and Death: The Story of Richard Seaman by Richard Williams and managed to finish reading it this week.

I've always been fascinated by the Richard Seaman character since I saw a Channel 4 Documentary on him in 2004 called Nazi Grand Prix. And I have to say this book is a great read. Plenty of detail into his life and helps clean up some myths about him too. Also makes you realise how, despite the threat of war, how much more camaraderie there was amongst drivers in the 30s. Just a shame it had to end for Seaman when he was at his peak. A case of what might have been.

Anyway, get the book if you can, it's money well spent. Especially if you want to know more about the Grand Prix racing of that era, as it's an era that in my view doesn't quite get the exposure it should get
Thank you for that - you've spurred me on to make the purchase! Been meaning to for a while.
Old 27 Jun 2021, 19:12 (Ref:4058503)   #248
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

The full movie 'Nazi Grand Prix' is available on youtube if interested.
https://youtu.be/E8bxqBEHE8A
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:03 (Ref:4058783)   #249
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

This was one (of a few) books that I was given for Christmas. I found it a very enjoyable & interesting read. Being born in 1956 life around WW2 has always interested me (or at least I presume my age is the reason) and this aspect, combined with the detailed racing coverage was fascinating.
Old 28 Jan 2022, 10:15 (Ref:4095651)   #250
S griffin
Veteran

Got Maurice Hamilton's biography of Murray Walker for xmas. Have to say it's an excellent read, focused a lot on the memorable events Murray commentated on, like Australia 86, Japan 89/90 or the tragic Imola 94. His commentary from those events is remembered in great deal

I also have Murray's autobiography from 2002 and this latest biography is a nice extension of that IMO

Also got Adrain Newey's How to Build a Car at xmas, will hopefully read that sometime soon. Got quite a few books to read atm